Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early Season Bowhunters? >

Early Season Bowhunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Bowhunters?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Early Season Bowhunters?

A boring topic but one I am always worried about here in VA with the high temperatures and amount of ticks during the early season. The research in the attached link sounds promising.

Has anyone here ever had or known anyone infected with Lyme Disease? I know the numbers have been on the rise and I tend to worry about it a little more because I'm taking the kids to the woods.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080319193029.htm
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Early Season Bowhunters?

I was talking to some guys about this the other day while shooting 3D. I have NEVER seen a tick on a deer here in the part of NC I hunt. Just never seen one.

I don't know of anyone contracting Lyme disease....but a neighbor contracted Rocky mtn. Spotted fever several years ago.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a family friend was always complaining about this ailment or that one. Everyone thought she was a hypocondriac(sp?). It was several years before they figured out what it was. Luckily, she is still around.

Ticswere bad around here last year, the buck I shot in October had his ears covered with them. During the summer when I was putting up stands I had to check, check, and check again. The damn seed ticks were terrible[:@]
Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Yup, and there have been people on this board that had or or someone in their family. I know I think it was FlHuntress' husband had and they didn't detect or determine what it was for sometime. It had really gotten a hold of him. He was pretty much useless for 3 years. You can get it in your yard. Bad stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know several people with Lymes disease and some are fine, others have some difficulties. It really depends on when it's diagnosed. Problem is, most doctors don't know to look for it. Many times it's misdiagnosed for Parkisons (sp) and MS. If caught early, it's very treatable. If left unchecked, it can be very difficult resulting in a variety of issues.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

I am a tick hater!! We have a lot of ticks here during the early season. We USE a tick repellent on are clothes. We have to spray it on a day or two before we go out and it works great. I cant remember what it is called but it starts with a P I think permaione and you can get it at Wal-Mart in the sports section.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unfortunately I've seen allot of deer ticks here in Minnesota where I hunt. So far none of us or anyone I know has gotten the disease but we are very careful also when watching out for these tiny little devils!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Lots of deer ticks in MN and always see deer with ticks on them. A family friend got lymes but caught it very early on so no side effects.

I think this year the dog and I are going to share doses of Frontline, I'll put it between her shoulder blades and she'll put it between mine, that way I cant lick it off[8D]
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy my cousin knows had lyme disease... almost died lost 85 lbs he was 200 lbs could hardly stand up... this was 4 years ago and he is still recovering... lyme disease is ascary thing. [:@]
Old 03-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got it in early October this year I caught it early enough and had to take pills for 14 days.Everytime you come in from the wood you have to do a tick check. I pick them off my kids in the summer. It's not bad if you keep a watchfull eye on it.

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

A boring topic but one I am always worried about here in VA with the high temperatures and amount of ticks during the early season. The research in the attached link sounds promising.

Has anyone here ever had or known anyone infected with Lyme Disease? I know the numbers have been on the rise and I tend to worry about it a little more because I'm taking the kids to the woods.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080319193029.htm

Quick Reply: Early Season Bowhunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.