Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can you take out the heart... >

Can you take out the heart...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
82.86%
no
17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Can you take out the heart...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Can you take out the heart...

Can I... Probably Not (yet, atleast)

Will I... well of course.. who cares if I can or not! Gotta find out sometime right?

Just pickin.. its no doubt a tough angle and tough shot but one I hope to be able to make in the future.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Good point David...Its all about the deer attitude..

I also think shots like this come from experience...When you've done it...you've done it...

Sometimes I make shots like this and never think about it....but is 22 years learning....

I still...really focus if this is all I've got in the heat of the moment...arrows do whacky things too...on these angles...
Yup, I can tell you've been there. Exactly right
Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

*EDIT* Didn't read the moderately quartered way comment, blew right threw that. This doe was 5 yards if that away from my stand when I killed her. Slightly quarted away, not much thow.

Sorry, guess this doesnt really apply. Still I get to post these pics again.Thats right, its a Rage wound pic. Bask in its glory. [8D]

Sure can.

I did it with this doe last year. Now I was 18ft up, not 20ft.

First pic is the entrance wound.

Second pic is the result.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

It's a great shot hitting the heart, but I think many circumstances dictate whether one try's to make this shot or go for lungs which offer a bigger target.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Devastating shot Ir. Thumbs up to you.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned - it can certainly be done.

In most instances, I find myself going more for the lungs, just becuase of the larger target. I've had a couple of heart shots over the years, and it obviously puts em down quick!
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74
I have taken the heart in this situtation. Depending on the angle....you're going to punch the deer mid /to/ rear rib on one side andbang the heart as you come through and exit the arm pit on the other side.
This is exactly what happened to me this year with the eight point I took. I have video of him and just like MichiganWhitetails74 said is what happened to me. Buck was about seven yards away, I was 18 feet in tree. Entered just behind mid rib and came out right in the arm pit. I always aim for the heart but make sure I am not risking shoulder also. I have nicked the heart many times but this year was the first time I drilled right in the heart. The first pic is from the still on the video camera. You can see the fur raised up just behind mid rib and high, the arrow is totally in and the deer has not even flinched yet. The arrow came out right smack in the center of the pit. The second pic is of the heart with a Tekan II cut in it, blood trail was ok, but he ran only fifty or seventy yards I think.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The heart in my avatar was shot from above, only it was about 14yds, and the deer was walking into me. I put the pin just to the left of his spine, and blew it out, while his head was down eating acorns.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I passed this shot up on the deer (your right in my avatar) in '06. I didn't like the angle. Would I now? Tough call. I doubt it.

I won't say a word to anyone who does, though. there are plenty who can and have pulled this off. Tough angle.....I'll say that. I hunt from 23'......and it's a blessing and a curse, sometimes.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can it be done? I think that has been established. As Davidmil said the situation would dictate whether or not I would take the shot. Most likely I would wait for a better angle if possible.

Quick Reply: Can you take out the heart...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.