HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   DIY archery pronghorn? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/238688-diy-archery-pronghorn.html)

Rory/MO 03-22-2008 07:44 PM

DIY archery pronghorn?

i am looking to go in the next couple years, on a DIY pronghorn hunt with a bow, on public ground. could anyone help me out with some suggestions on public grounds, any state

WhitetailsInc.info 03-22-2008 09:00 PM

RE: DIY archery pronghorn?

Rory,

I have been getting more serious about Western hunting lately and the most valuable thing I have gotten was Eastmans Bowhunting Journal. The MRS section (only for subscribers)has so much cool info I couldn't have dug up with months of net surfing. Apparently the time to Go Antelope hunting is now! Great populations and easy to draw for a good DIY hunt mostly in Wy.

MichiganWhitetails74 03-22-2008 09:07 PM

Rory - Lets do it together in 2010. I was going to take the wife on a Yellowstone and then Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming in 2009 but she's scared to do a DIY hunt....don't ask me why...In addition this is our 5 year anniversary so I may take her to Aruba where we went on our honeymoon....

We should keep in touch...I'm really looking for someone to do a 500 dollar antelope hunt with....I just don't see a point in paying 1800 on an animal that lingers numerously throughout the land....Bought a GPS today at Gander Mountain.....you know what...screw it...I can go in 2009 ...I have the vacation..

All my buddies are whipped...they won't go...and my uncles have killed antelope...

:)

Rory/MO 03-22-2008 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

Rory - Lets do it together in 2010. I was going to take the wife on a Yellowstone and then Pronghorn hunt in Wyoming in 2009 but she's scared to do a DIY hunt....don't ask me why...In addition this is our 5 year anniversary so I may take her to Aruba where we went on our honeymoon....

We should keep in touch...I'm really looking for someone to do a 500 dollar antelope hunt with....I just don't see a point in paying 1800 on an animal that lingers numerously throughout the land....Bought a GPS today at Gander Mountain.....you know what...screw it...I can go in 2009 ...I have the vacation..

All my buddies are whipped...they won't go...and my uncles have killed antelope...

:)
boy 2010 sounds nice, but i got car insurance to pay for, without a job. so i need to keep saving. i was thinking more 2011-2012 range. but i dont see why you would need to pay that much either, when if you do your homework, you can kill a nice antalope. im not gonna be looking for a record book goat either;)

SouthDakotaHunter 03-22-2008 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

boy 2010 sounds nice, but i got car insurance to pay for, without a job. so i need to keep saving. i was thinking more 2011-2012 range.
If your looking for that far down the road, you may want to think about buying some pref. points for WY starting now... You should be able to draw a great unit with a couple of pref. points....

Rory/MO 03-22-2008 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

boy 2010 sounds nice, but i got car insurance to pay for, without a job. so i need to keep saving. i was thinking more 2011-2012 range.
If your looking for that far down the road, you may want to think about buying some pref. points for WY starting now... You should be able to draw a great unit with a couple of pref. points....
i was thinking about doing that for one of the states, i didnt know which one though

salukipv1 03-22-2008 10:00 PM

add me to this party! archery pronghorn, I've taken with a rifle, and will continue to hunt them, though would like to take one with a bow in the next few years. I think colorado archery tags are 100% draw or OTC. Sure there are plenty of opportunities for achery pronghorn. Message me...

mez 03-22-2008 10:16 PM

Look at South Dakota as well. Tags are unlimited for archery and there aren't units west of the Mo river. There is a ton of public land access and most all of it has goats. You are archery hunting you won't see another hunter.

Rory/MO 03-22-2008 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

Look at South Dakota as well. Tags are unlimited for archery and there aren't units west of the Mo river. There is a ton of public land access and most all of it has goats. You are archery hunting you won't see another hunter.
really!
thanks for that, ill have to look into south dakota!

SouthDakotaHunter 03-22-2008 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

Maybe during the week there is less pressure? But anytime I've went out on the weekends (SD) I see a fair amount of hunters - (we also don't have the # of goats that WY or MT have).... Last time I was out (archery hunting), started a stalk on a couple of bucks and I noticed other movement. There were three other hunters stalking the same goats... About this time, another vehicle/hunter stops along the road and starts watching the show... Not trying to discourage you from SD, becuase there are some good opportunities. I'm just saying, if it was me, and I was planning a hunt for a couple of years out, I would start building some pref. points so I could draw a good limited entry unit in WY...