HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/238658-if-your-bhs-fps-hit-same-means-your-bow-out-tune.html)

Hoytail Hunter 03-22-2008 05:01 PM

If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

And wouldn't that just make sense? Let me explain:

According to this video link: http://www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx?action=1
A BH shot out ofa tunedbow willNEVER EVER hit the exact same spot as a FP shot out of that same bow. In the video link, tests are done out of a shooting machine on various BH's. The tests were controlled and variables eliminated.None ofthe BH's testedhit the same as where theFP hit. Some were only an inch off while others were as much as 4 or more inches off.

This begs the question: Are all of the people in the archery world who claim their BH's hit where their FP's do, just telling themselves that they actually hit the same spot?

I can't imagine any law of physics or science that will allow 2 objects of different shape, size, and aerodynamics to fly the exact same way. I think when people claim that their BH's and FP's hit the same, it is because they hit close enough within an inch or two that they just concede it is so.

Here'sthe out of tune theory: Guys have perfectly tuned bows to begin with when they are shooting FP's. They then screw on a BH and find that the poi is now 4 inches low. At this point they begin de-tuning their bows ever so slightly so that the poi of the BH and the FP meet at the halfway mark. This is the only way I can see them hitting together.

What do you think?

jmbuckhunter 03-22-2008 05:26 PM

RE: If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

As long as mine hits the deer in the chest,I don't care!!!;)

Finch 03-22-2008 05:29 PM

I'm going to contradict myself herebut I believe the above posthas some validity as well as what I said in your other thread. I think it depends on who you ask what actually makesa bow "tuned." Is it because it shoots pretty bullet holes through paper? What about measuring your bow's specs (A2A, BH, tiller, etc) and having them dead on? Many people have many different definitions of tuned bows. Some say only start at paper and then proceed to walk-back. Somerely on paper-tuning only.Some don't worry about their A2A or BH measuring to the "T".

I'm no tuning expert but I do feel I have a pretty good handle on what makes a bow "tuned". I want my cams in synch, specs to be on the nose, and perfect center-shot (after doing a walk-back). If my bow shoots bullets through paper than thats a plus too. Sometimes you can't have it all though.

All I know is that when I get my FP's and BH's hitting the same (or fairly close) spot I'm ready to hunt. It just seems to make sense that when you take two arrows (one with a FP and one with a fixed BH) and get them hitting the same spot...it just seems that you've met somewhere in the middle and have a well-tuned machine.

Maybe the aboveis not true but I'm going to continue doing what has been working for me.:DBottom line!

Cougar Mag 03-22-2008 05:46 PM

I may upset some people by saying this but I always consider my bow "broadhead tuned" when its shooting broadheads as well as a field point tuned bow. Just because a bow is well tuned doesn't mean it will automatically shoot any broadhead well. I think this is a great misconception that some think because a broadhead won't shoot well that its always the broadhead's fault when in fact the bow is not tuned for those broadheads. My opinion and it has always worked well for me.

Finch 03-22-2008 05:50 PM

Just watched the video. I should havewatched it before responding the firsttime.[&:]Very interesting. I would like to see some more ppl respond.

I see that the Rocky Mtn synpersperformed the best. I would have liked to have seen them test the Rage but I take it this was an older video?

kingvjack 03-22-2008 06:19 PM

Kinda why I shoot the Montecs, the preseason tips and the BHs fly about the exact same.

bigcountry 03-22-2008 06:26 PM

The video is sorta true. But for hunters, its really a moot point. For a target shooter, it could matter, but why would a target shooter want to shoot BH anyway.

pdq 5oh 03-22-2008 08:19 PM

When it's time to shoot broadheads I tune my bow with them, sight it in and don't shoot anything else until after hunting season. When it's time to shoot field points I tune my bow with them, sight it in and don't shoot anything else until hunting season. I don't care if they hit together. I only practice with/shoot broadheads during season. Field points are for 3D season. It's more important, IMO, to make broadheads fly like darts and group well than make them hit with field points.

Arthur P 03-22-2008 08:33 PM

Here'sthe out of tune theory: Guys have perfectly tuned bows to begin with when they are shooting FP's. They then screw on a BH and find that the poi is now 4 inches low. At this point they begin de-tuning their bows ever so slightly so that the poi of the BH and the FP meet at the halfway mark.
I've been saying that for years. Funny. People seem to find thingsso much more believeable when someone other than me says them.

ONESHOT_BRANDON 03-22-2008 08:37 PM

DANG MUZZY WAS ALMOST 3 INCHES OFF....[:o]