Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!? >

If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM

Default RE: If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

Damn...

I guess my bow is really out of tune.

I can shoot a FP arrow and then a BH arrow and shave the fletchings off of the first arrow with the second.

But apparently this isn't possible because a machine can't do it.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

Hoytail Hunter,

You know I touched on this on a different thread and I agree. We may "think" out broad heads and field tips are hitting the same but I suspect if we put our bows in a machine we would see quite a different story.

The reason why is because practically NONE of us can put an arrow in the same exact hole time after time after time like a machine...in fact I believe NONE of us can. But we tune or "detune" our bows to try to get our broad heads to hit close to our field tips.

Most of us can get them close....very close but they will never hit the exact same as our field tips...I for one am glad I'm not that accurate of an archer because I'd probably tear my hair out trying to get them to hit in the same place.

I'm good enough to have to shoot spots out to 20 yards with both my field tips and broad heads. At 30yards things open up to 2-3 in groups (on average) at 40 and beyond, I'm happy to keep them in 4-6 in groups. Shooting like this I will never be able to truly tell if my broad heads impact the exact same as my field tips....just too much room for error.......my error.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Damn...

I guess my bow is really out of tune.

I can shoot a FP arrow and then a BH arrow and shave the fletchings off of the first arrow with the second.

But apparently this isn't possible because a machine can't do it.
Dan,

They're putting one arrow after another after anotherin the exact same hole time after time at 35 yards.......Big difference that you simply getting close at 20.

The results don't lie, out of a perfectly tuned bow most (if not all) broad heads will not impact the same as a field tip. It's up to us to tune or yes....detune our bows to try to get them close.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:17 PM

BigJ, I doubt when anyone says that their BHs hit the same as their FPs they mean they're sending them into the same hole time and again.

At that point we're arguing semantics.

Hell, I can't send my FPs into the same hole time and again, and I consider myself to be a pretty proficient shot.

And I'm not talking 20 yards, either. But, I'm not going to argue it. Enjoy your evening.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

One or two inches is good enough for me.....
Old 03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

I do not agree with the term "detune". Rather I call it "retune".
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Every single broadhead tested shot low and left. Of course some broadheads that were testedhave crappy tollerences so there are afew that could be thrown out the windowbefore the test even started.

So, for me, one big question still remains.

If they were to tune that bow so that the broadheads (the good ones)and field tips hit the same hole would the bow still be able to put field tipped arrow after arrow in the same hole.

If so their results would be invalid.

I am of the opinion that it is entirely possible to have a perfectly tuned bow and have both field tips and broadheads impact the same.

Another thing is that by screwing on a broadheadthat is much longer than a field tip they changed weight distrobution of the top which will change the dynamic spine of the arrow. They introduced a variable that wasn't accounted for right there.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

BigJ, I doubt when anyone says that their BHs hit the same as their FPs they mean they're sending them into the same hole time and again.

At that point we're arguing semantics.

Hell, I can't send my FPs into the same hole time and again, and I consider myself to be a pretty proficient shot.

And I'm not talking 20 yards, either. But, I'm not going to argue it. Enjoy your evening.
Well Dan, that's the whole crux of the post....Broad heads and field tips WILL NOT impact the same and some are far worse than others out of a PERFECTLY TUNED BOW. So if your bow is "perfectly tuned" you're going to have to "detune" it in order to get them close...

You implied that at any time you can shoot a field tipped arrow, then take a broad headed arrow and
shave the fletchings off of the first arrow with the second.
at apparently extended ranges to boot. Well if that's the case I suspect your bow isn't perfectly tuned. You have either tuned (or detuned) your bow to your broad heads and got your field tips to come close, or you're shooting magic broad heads that defy physics.... I suspect it's not the latter.

I think all HH is saying is you can't just tune your bow with your field tips and expect(just because your bow is perfectly tuned) your broad heads to hit the same....they wont. We must tune our bows to our broad heads and hope for the best depending on the broad head we're using.

I went through this when I switched to the Rage heads, all went wellandthey flew great. They are pretty much the same broad head as theSnyper and that was the closest in the test performed (about 3/4inch off perfect).I didn't have to touch a thingso myMontecswere still hitting where I was aiming as well.I walked away from my practice session very confident with either head out of the same bow and happy that I didn't have to fiddle with it. I suspect this was the case because I originally tuned my bow to get my Montecs and my field tips to shoot as close as I could. The Rage (same as the Snyper) flies so close (as the test showed) to a field tip I didn't NOTICE any difference in arrow flight but I'm sure there was a difference. I couldn't tell because I can't "shave the fletchings off of my arrows" on a consistent basis at extended rangesas you apparently do.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I am of the opinion that it is entirely possible to have a perfectly tuned bow and have both field tips and broadheads impact the same.
I don't think it's possible......close yes...close enough for me...absolutely but back in the same hole again time after time... I don't think so. Physics is at play, two different tips will fly slightly different. They may be the same weight but their dimensions are totally different thus both have a completely different aerodynamic signature (not to mention change the FOC and spine as you stated). This will cause slightly different paths through the air.

Like I said you can probably find a combination that will be awfully close but I don't think you can simply tune a bow to any oldfield tip and get any oldbroad head to hit in the same spot. Conversely, I don't think you can tune a bow to a specific broad head and expect your field tips to hit the same either.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigJ71
Well if that's the case I suspect your bow isn't perfectly tuned.

We must tune our bows to our broad heads and hope for the best depending on the broad head we're using.
Here is the other crux of the argument, especially if you want to argue technicalities.

Who shoots a perfectly tuned bow? Is a human capable of tuning a bow perfectly? I don't think so. If they were they wouldn't use machines in this type of test.

You tune your bow to your shooting style and the arrows and heads you are shooting.This is not hoping for the best, it is the process you go through to achieve the best.

Quick Reply: If your BH's and FP's hit the same it means your bow is out of tune!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.