Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many hunters do you have around you >

How many hunters do you have around you

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many hunters do you have around you

Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many hunters do you have around you

Wow, that is amazing. You guys can have the upper Midwest and the East.

In Nebraska, around my home town around 5000 acres that I always hunt, 2 other guys, brother and best friend. Could get permission on much more but no need.

In SD, 25-30 thousand acres and 1 other guy, my brother.

BothSD and NEall within 1/2 hour drive of the house.

In 25 years of bowhunting I think I have seen 2 hunters that weren't with me at the time. Both tresspassers.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 AM

The public land in south-central Iowa I've hunted the past 3 years is packed. Each year I've seen 2-3x as many hunters from my stand as I do deer.

Firestick opener last december I got to my spot an hour before first light. 15 min before first light some jack@ss comes walking in with what seemed like a Semi-headlight for a flashlight heading right towards me. At about 100 yards I gave him 3 flashes of my own light to knid of say "Hey, I'm here go somewhere else."
He flashes back and walks closer and sits down at a tree 40 yeards from me. [:@]

The entire morning he's moving like a 3 year old who's had too much sugar. It's cold and rainy and there is nothing moving all morning. At about 11:30 he walks back towards me and when he's about 20 yards away has the nerve to shout "Hey, ya seen anything?"
I was tempted to reply "Dude you're practically sitting on my lap. If I had seen anything you would have either seen it too or heard a shot!"

Long story short he says he's packing it in for the day and says "Well, I'll see ya back here tomorrow." I muttered under my breath "Yeah, can't wait."

3 hours later I get up to take a slow walk around and I see a deer about 100 yards ahead through the trees. I freeze and slowly start working my way towards it. It goes over a hillcrest and out of sight, and I slowly work my way towards where I can hear it moving around. All of the sudden a large 9-pt comes half-jogging on a diagonal line right towards me. I slowly drop to a knee and pull my gun up and he stops 12 yards in front of me perfectly broadside!

Needless to say I didn't have to worry about loud high-beam guy sitting next to me the next day!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey MEZ you got everybody beat by a country thousand mile! WOW you are my hero!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I travel great distances to get away from all the pressure. But there are people everywhere. Northern wis public land has bear hunters, bird hunters and their dogs, pine bough pickers, and of course deer hunters and the never ending bait piles. did I forget thoese crazy guys on quads and wolves?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an 80 acres that I share with 3 other guys, and a 40 I share with one other guy.

I put in more time and try to know where they will be, and use that to my advantage.

Dan
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

One evening I was bow hunting and some idiot comes along banging his climbing stand thru the brush. I can here him climb a tree and I was going to leave. Then it dawned on me that any deer that wind him will circle right to me so I stayed. A while later I here a snort and I get ready. Along comes an 8 pointer right past my tree. I drew on him and said "your dead" then let up. he was a little small so he got a free pass.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

One evening I was bow hunting and some idiot comes along banging his climbing stand thru the brush. I can here him climb a tree and I was going to leave. Then it dawned on me that any deer that wind him will circle right to me so I stayed. A while later I here a snort and I get ready. Along comes an 8 pointer right past my tree. I drew on him and said "your dead" then let up. he was a little small so he got a free pass.
Cool story Magic! During the gun season I let all the yahoo's in my area that but up to our land chase all the deer to me. You can tell when they get off there stands in the morning, deer coming by frequently! I see more deer and big bucks during the gun season usually more then any time of the year. Everyone in my area has this drive thing forced in there heads, I get more out of it then they do little do they know!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

No hunters but a lot of outlaws and poachers and jack lighters.[&:][&:]
I hear that.

(BOWSEASON)
In my honey hole, at no time should (I say should) have another hunter within 200 yards of me, if not more. I have two cousins that barely hunt my family farm which borders my honey hole. The next land parcel is 300 yards north of my stands. That loser hunts/poaches whatever he wants.

(Come RIFLE SEASON). My honey hole has my landowner only (me if I choose but dont) and he spends a couple hours opening morning, maybe right before dark and rarely after that. The last buck he killed was 5-6 years ago and I pushed it to him. Around this woods, over a million hunters! (total in PA)

Old 03-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is one piece of property that i hunt whrere 7 guys hunt 40 acres.....yes its overcrowded but i have been fortunate enough to take a couple 140 classes off of it and a couple 125" 3.5 yr olds.

the other properties that i hunt are just for me and my dad, and wife
Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

The guys I deal with use Ladder stands. Makes it easy for me to know where they will be every time. Also it's easy to figure when they are coming and going. Best Bucks I saw this year was after they were gone home for Breakfast, lunch, nap, whatever

Dan

Quick Reply: How many hunters do you have around you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.