Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you age this buck at? >

What would you age this buck at?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you age this buck at?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Default What would you age this buck at?

Throw in a score as well if you'd like, think i may have scored him wrong. It is a shotgun kill, but it's the first deer I have taken as well. Started bowhunting 3 weeks later and managed a button buck for my first bowkill. Figured being it was the offseason and this is the most active forum it wouldn't be a problem.

Where he fell:

Different angle:

Side view of the rack:

First bowkill, sorry about the quality:

Thanks for the help, just curious whatyou all think.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you age this buck at?

prolly about 115-120" he looks like he has a big body and good mass, not a very good pic to tellbut i would say at least 3 1/2 and maybe older
Old 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Judgeing by the sweatshirt, I guess your from PA. In that case I would say he is fully mature, at least 4.5 if not more. Hard to tell without seeing his body size and shape.

A good mature buck for sure tho. Score in the low 120s
Old 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Nice bucks! Congrats on your first 2 kills. I just hope you know what your in for....Your hooked now....its in your blood. It could cost you a marriage and will definatly take all you rmoney!
If I were guessn, and I am, Id say 4 1/2 years old and scorre about 120-130 ??????
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 PM

Not sure how old he was but I have a sneaking suspicion he reached the end of his life expectancy

Nice lookin' buck!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Judging from the pics, i would say That deer was born may 18th of 05, and score about 123 5/8ths.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting non-typical thing going on with the left antler. I'd have to say 4.5 instead of 3.5.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

He shows signs of a bit of both 3.5 and 4.5.... but after considering the side view of the rack... I'm going with 3.5. Granted every deer is different, but most older deer have main beams that tend to lean forward past a verticle line with the eye. I wouldn't be overwhelmingly shocked if someone looked at the teeth and aged him 4.5... but going with what you've given me and trying to judge while he is on the ground... I'm going 3.5. Certainly as old as he is going to get. Thats a very fine first deer, you've set a high bar for yourself. Congratulations.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM

Taken in Central Illinois, forgot that part.

Definitely think I fudged up with scoring him, never tried before. I came up with 155 on one site w/o deductions and 145 on B&C w/deduc. both as non typ. Thinking I got confused on G1,G2 etc.

Definitely hooked though, have never nearly hyperventilated buying a ribeye.

Thanks for the input, and any other input is welcome. Only post bowkills from here on out.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Allot of Abnormal points on him. 105" or so. He's at least 4.5 I would say, probably older.

Quick Reply: What would you age this buck at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.