Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bow tips for a young bowhunter? >

bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Default bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Hi i just got a Diamond Edge 40-50 lb bow for Christmas. Im 13 and i havent shot it yet. Is there any good tips or tricks. Or is there any sights or rests that you would suggest?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow tips for a young bowhunter?

The best tip i can give is practice, practice, and practice some more.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

The best tip i can give is practice, practice, and practice some more.
x2

and find a setup on your bow that you are very comfortable with
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

My advice would be to make sure your bow is set up correctly for you. Lots of young hunters and shooters have bows with too long a draw length. Make sure you get that set correctly. You'll shoot so much better. As far as sights and rests go, go with something simple. It is hard to get any more simple than a Whisker Biscuit. There is always more accessories you can upgrade to, but get the basics down first. x3...Practice, practice, practice and have fun.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be patient even in the tree your time will come. Pratice, Pratice an more practice.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like has been said above...practice. Something else I would add is try to find a mentor (friend, family member, etc) who has some archery experience, and ask, ask, and ask some more questions. Anything and everything you can think of. I started out with bowhunting all on my own, learning as I went. I came from a hunting family, just not bowhunters. I didn't really have anyone to go to with questions until I found HNI of all things. I've since met a few members here personally and I think I've learned more in the past few weeks than I did the first few years on my own. It's a non-stop learning process which is what makes it so fun.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Find some adult freind that really knows bows and have him help you it will save you alot of frustration make sure your draw lenth is right buy a good target set yourself up a nice range and practice.I showed my step son and his freinds how to shoot when they were young and now they all turned into good bow hunnters and showed me alot when I got into the release peep shooting and keep looking at the archery sites you will pick up alot of good pointers.Well to bad you werent around i be glad to show you how to shoot well keep it up it is fun. hope you find some good guidence i am sure there is someone around where you live that will point you in the right direction it is almost more rewarding fo the teacher than the student it was in my case cause every time those kidds shoot a big deer i pipe rite up and say i taught them.David
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyone has already said...tons of practice.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

Practice,Practicce,Practice is most important. I shot every day unless it is pooring down rain or snowing.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Well, practice is good, but proper practice is better. All the practice in the world won't help much if your doing it wrong and your bow doesn't fit you.

First you need to make sure your bow fits you right. I don't know where it was purchased, but if it was from a shop they should be able to help getting it set up for you.

And you don't need all the fancy equipment you see the guys on here use. Some of these guys must have pretty decent incomes because I have a full time job and can't afford some of this stuff. Decent 3 pin sights and a good rest will get the job done. You don't need fancy 100 dollar sights and expensive drop a ways rests. And make sure your release fits you as well.

Quality arrows are important, if faced between the choice of cheap carbons and aluminums I say pick aluminums. They are better arrows for the money and have better spine choices, especially for low powered set ups. Easton Jazz arrows are better than most of the 50-60 dollar carbons on the market in my opinion.

If you want to spend money on something, spend it on lessons. Join a youth archery league or something along those lines. Even a few individual lessons would be a great start. Some shops will start you out for nothing if you get the bow from them.

This sounds mean, but having your Uncle " Billy Bob" help you out is great, unless he has poor form, has too long of a draw length and draws 10 lbs more than he should. In that case he may be doing you more harm than good. It's much easier to learn how to do it correctly from the get go then it is to get rid of bad habits later on down the road.

My opinion anyway

Paul

Quick Reply: bow tips for a young bowhunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.