Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HF Hunting...."Real-World" >

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Old 03-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Being aprofessional wildlife biologist

Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 AM

Although i dont hold a hunter who tags a huge buck inside a high fence in the highest regard (barring a dissability or handicap) if they have the money and want to spend it there, well then go for it.

My biggest gripe is not the fences, not the"hunters" in these fences, but the fact that the non hunting public does not differentiate between the two. For the antis and the non hunting public, we (majoirty of us on this site and fair chase hunters everywhere) are seen in the same light as a high fence "hunter", its just simply hunting. Thats what gets under my skin, because what I do is completely different than what billionaire banker from NY does.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The media calls Governor Spitzer A husband, Because he is Married.[:-]

And that makes as much sense asclassifying what these dirt bags kill as trophy's.[]

In both cases the dollar amount spent determines the quality and size of the rack.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

$4300

Example of 180"

$10,000

N-TypicalRanch Trophy Fee's

SouthRanch Trophy Fee's

140 to 149 7/8 $2,500

140 to 149 7/8 $2,000

150 to 159 7/8 $5,000

150 to 159 7/8 $4,000

160 to 169 7/8 $6,000

160 to 169 7/8 $5,000

170 to 179 7/8 $7,500

170 to 179 7/8 $7,000

180 to 189 7/8 $10,000

180 to 189 7/8 $10,000

190 to 199 7/8 C.F.P

190 to 199 7/8 C.F.P

200+ C.F.P

C.F.P = call for pricing

200+ C.F.P

Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 AM

I agree, the idea of the high fence used for good purposes or notis fueling the fire of anti-hunters. It amazes me about how much politics and economics are behind it though.

To further add to this, manufactured animals are artificializing the trophy. The deer antlers hanging in my office (nottaken on a high fence)are by no means record book material, but they are my trophy and memories. However, when others drop by, they comment on how small they are compared to the ones they conquered at the deer farm. This is nothing new though. Anyone familiar with the history of wildlife management should recognize the name of Aldo Leopold, considered by many as the Father of Wildlife Management who wrote the first textbook on game management. In one of his books (1938) he writes of artificial management and the value of the trophy; decimating other animal populations to make game more plentiful. If anyone's intersted, google the story Conservation Esthetic by Aldo Leopold. He was probably more of a hunter than any of us will ever be.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

And a complete misuse of a natural resource.
As long as they are in a high fence, it isn't really a natural resource. Thats why none of the "books" recognize them. That being said, I would NEVER be proud of a high fence kill. JMO, but they are technically livestock. That's one way I think MN has an edge on states like Texas (not to pick on anybody by any means, its just a place I have been), we may not have as many big bucks, but our captive deer are considered livesock.
I think this is what most people don't understand, any many of the HF advocates HATE to hear, but it IS the truth. I know a guy who shot a 140-class 8pt on one of these places, and for him it IS a trophy, but I personally wouldn't see it as near the trophy that my little 100" 9pt is, because that little guy was a completely fair chase. Jeff my "hat's off" to you for not going on the "Canned Hunt."

Teejay,
As Jeff (GMMAT) said, at least the pheasants are free to fly away if they choose to do so. The deer on the other hand AREN'T!!!

wildlifeguy,
Where are you from??? I'd bet Texas; if so, I understand, as it seems that MANY Texans are big advocates for the HF's, because it seems to be a big part of Texas Hunting. Likewise, I believe the Feeders are much more accepted in Texas, because it sounds like EVERYONE has one, and if you're neighbor has 10 of them, and your land won't support deer without them, then you'd better have a few if you want to see a few deer. Not that the feeder is the only way to hunt the deer, but it helps your land hold them much better than it would without them. Here in OH, with good acorn crops, lots of corn, alfalfa and soybean, feeders don't seem to get hit much until the fields are harvested and the acorn crop exhausted, therefore, they are as big a part of hunting here.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

your freaking crasygmmat! lol
Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

there is no challenge in a HF hunt. i couldnt see paying the prices for what you get not to mention there would be no satisfaction in taking the amimal, no sense of accomplishment because really you did nothing but pay a guy to drive you out then you shoot it and leave. I would much rather eat tag soup then take anything from a HF hunt. this is just my opinion and if you like them god bless and enjoy
Old 03-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Yes, I am from Texas. I do use bait. However, where I usually hunt I haven't seen a deer use a feeder in the past 5-6 years. I prefer to watch deer and be selective in what I take; not necessarily the biggest, but the most appropriate for maintaining age structure. Therefore, I use bait to stop the deer as the pass by so I can see them. Because of the extremely thick vegetation , we have to hunt open strips called "senderos". Stalking is not a possibility when you can only see about 10 feet in front of you. You only have about 3-4 seconds of a deer walking across that opening. I judge a successful hunt on what I saw during that hunt and I like time to observe.

As for high fences, I would rather not see them. I definitely can't stand canned hunts in which they place an animal in a particular pasture that someone will be hunting. I've even seen websites advertising an individual deer with a price underneath the picture. I guess a trophy depends on the eye of the beholder. On these, I think it is just atestament on how much money you can spend. If that makes them happy, then good for them.

Not all high fences are canned hunts though. I hunted on a high fenced place this past year because I was asked to help cull doe. It took 4 trips out there until I even saw a doe or any deer for that matter; it's definetely not canned on all high fenced ranches. It's just that these deer farms make it look that way.

Great discussion here. I like to play devils advocate sometimes and stir the pot.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Yep, HF operations are not for me nor do I think they are good for the hunting community as a whole. I know the argument that we all need to stick together blah blah blah, but I am sorry I just can't get there.

And the argument is always the same. "Well, most of these places are 10,000's of acres."

Baloney.I have no statistics to back it up, but being a Texan who frequently travels to the part of Texas where they are most prevelant (Austin and San Antonio areas in general) I am comfortable in making the statement that most of them areon 640 acres or less.

Proof that they do harm to the image of hunting overall can be found by looking no further than in theopinion most hunters have in regard to Texas as a hunting state.

Again, I have no actual statistics to back this up, but I would surmise that HF operations make up less than 1% of the deer habitat in the entire state, yet when whitetail hunting in Texas comes up in a discussion, it is already dismissed as being ALL HF canned operations.

Thankfully, in the extreme northern part of the state where I live, we don't have any, at least not yet.

Quick Reply: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.