Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HF Hunting...."Real-World" >

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

And a complete misuse of a natural resource.
As long as they are in a high fence, it isn't really a natural resource. Thats why none of the "books" recognize them. That being said, I would NEVER be proud of a high fence kill. JMO, but they are technically livestock. That's one way I think MN has an edge on states like Texas (not to pick on anybody by any means, its just a place I have been), we may not have as many big bucks, but our captive deer are considered livesock.
They are definitely livestock. The does at the place my friend went to were corraled up and trucked to a place for urine collection. Breeder bucks were kept in huge pens that looked like kennels, they would release them if someone wanted to pay enough to "hunt" one. All of the bucks had rings indicating size and were handled often. Cattle in the form of deer basically.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were to spend $1000's of dollars to get a "trophy" then I would spend it with someone like Jim Shockey and go on a real hunting adventure. Besides all of the reasons posted previously for not doing a HF hunt, where is the adventure? Hell, a good part of the reason I hunt is the new adventure every time I walk into the forest. No adventure is why I wouldn't pay to be put in a stand by an outfitter even in a fair chase setting so I certainly can't see why to do it in a HF setting.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really does not matter if P&Y or B&C will take these animals or not. I was the Illinois deer classic this year, a guy I know brought in a road kill buck. It was scored and put into the books. He told them that it was an archery kill and I guess he must have used once of his archery tags on it, I don't really know. The fact is, people can go on HF hunts and have their animals put into the books if they so desire, there are ways around it for sure. As long as there are people that are willing to pay crazy amounts of money for some big bone, these places will continue to operate. I must say, I did feel a little sick looking at the pics of the bucks in post, knowing how they were kept and knowing they were killed for their head gear alone, I don't understand it, but I am not going to cast judgement on those who decide this is the way for them to get their trophy.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I raise about 150 Pheasent every year. I release a pile and sell a bunch. But I also take about 40-50 and release them in a big CRP field and take a bunch of disables Vets out hunting. I have a 6 chair rack that I pull with my neighbors Rhino. My Shorthair runs in front pointing them out, she locks up on a bird I stop. The DAV members grab their guns and stand if they can. I flush the bird they shoot. We get some and miss most. Some of these men were the proudest hunters as short as 10 years ago. They just cant do it any more! Do youlook down uponthese men for this type of hunt? I personally wouldnt go on a fenced hunt, but if my late Grandpa wanted to I would have drove him there proud as a Peacock! Poeple have their reasons.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally think 99% of the members that come on here wouldn't go on a free hunt like that!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Hell, a good part of the reason I hunt is the new adventure every time I walk into the forest.
Right on. I suspect many of us feel that way.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

I raise about 150 Pheasent every year. I release a pile and sell a bunch. But I also take about 40-50 and release them in a big CRP field and take a bunch of disables Vets out hunting. I have a 6 chair rack that I pull with my neighbors Rhino. My Shorthair runs in front pointing them out, she locks up on a bird I stop. The DAV members grab their guns and stand if they can. I flush the bird they shoot. We get some and miss most. Some of these men were the proudest hunters as short as 10 years ago. They just cant do it any more! Do youlook down uponthese men for this type of hunt? I personally wouldnt go on a fenced hunt, but if my late Grandpa wanted to I would have drove him there proud as a Peacock! Poeple have their reasons.
I don't look down on anyone. But would all of our grampas consider the birds he shot trophies? Mine wouldn't. In fact mine would not want to even go on that kind of hunt. Something about earning yourself it is the real thrill. We all know (and I am only 25) that someday we won't be able to, that's what makes it so much sweeter each time we can.

Cheers to you also taking these oldboys out!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

TJ, IMO there is a big difference between a disabled vet, or any disabled person and a healthy guy that just wants a big set of horns to show off. I think what you do is great and I hope you keep doing for many years. I know there are a ton of reasons why someone would hunt HF, but I think most on here agree that it is mostly done because it is a quick and easy way to kill a tank. I don't believe that is what hunting is about, so my personal choice is not to do it.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:52 AM

Hey guys/gals, I'm new to posting on this site. However, I've been monitoring for a while now and have learned quite a bit of good information. Great site. I'll just give my hopefully quick opinion on the subject.

First, I agree that the situation being discussed is indeed not huntingin my opinion. Being aprofessional wildlife biologist in a state that is known for high fences, I've seen this deer crazeprogressing for quite a while. It started out innocent enough withmanagement for quality animals. However, it takes time; time which peopledon't want towait. People want quick results. In short, high fences... Not quick enough.Translocating deer..Still not good enough... Now let's make our own deer andput them in asmall penso someone can club them and be back to work in half an hour braggin about their $15,000 monster they outwitted. I'm not a fan, but I see the motivation.

I do want to clear up a misconception though. Not all high fenced places are like this. Several places are high fenced to make management of the animals and HABITAT easier. In places of high deer density, landowners/managers spend thousands of dollars managing habitat and reducing the animal numbers. This creates the vacuum effect from surrounding unmanaged lands. This results in twice the number of animals and still poor range conditions. Not to mention, the neighbors are now very mad that you sucked all THEIR deer away. Personally, I don't mind being on a high fenced ranch sometimes. I like to see the results of good population/habitat management. Deer farms give allhighfences a bad reputation. Most of these places,the deer are just as wild and elusive as any other place. I like to see deer even though I only kill 1-2 a year (haven't killed a buck in 3 yrs). I think it is just neat to seeresults of passing up young bucks and managing habitat. Even when there are several hunters right on the other side of the fence salivating to shoot anything with headgear regardless of age.

Just my opinion. I apologize for the long post but this also is a fact of life I struggle with everyday in this profession. I'm a fan of good management, but dislike farming wildlife like livestock.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't look down on anyone, either. Never said anything close to that.

And I've been to preserves and shot pen raised Pheasants. 2 things.....1. I view a deer MUCH differently than I do a pheasant. I just DO. 2. That bird may not be smart.....but if I miss him (assuming the dogs find him)....he is gone....maybe forever....maybe not. He is also (whether he knows it or not) free to fly ANYWHERE he wants. The deer aren't afforded that luxury or chance.

Just my POV.

Quick Reply: HF Hunting...."Real-World"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.