Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do core areas overlap eachother? >

Do core areas overlap eachother?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do core areas overlap eachother?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do core areas overlap eachother?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Question for ya Troy. I believe a buck in the farm country I hunt in has his safe zone he goes to when the tough gets going (hunting pressure). I've got neighbors a mile away who see's the same buck I do the very next night on his camera during the rut. Never does he see this same buck I'm talking about in September or early October, only I see him on camera. Just in Late October or early November is when he see's him on camera. It seems once the rut kicks in the small core areas everyone talks about is kinda out the window if you ask me. I think there core area expands allot during the rut unless obviously they have a hot doe in the woods there in. Am I way off thinking like this?
[/quote]

Steve, I wontargue with you there, I dont hunt farm country or your area and I have no idea how big of an area a buck is gonna hold tight in out there where you live.. we have such different variables to punch into the equation.. But I would wonder if he has more than one option he uses as a safe zone, all bucks I would think have more than one...unless of course he has one that just gets no pressure at all.. What kind of predators do your deer deal with on a yearly basis?

Here a buck has to have options and space in his core living area. He can not just retreat to one smallsafe zone. The reason isnt predominatley a human threat, instead its the pressures he recieves bythe hvy and I mean hvy predation. We have a very healthy population of moutain lions (deer killing machines), wolves, yotes anda lot of bearsto boot. If a deer ofany type "holed" up in one spot for many daysfrom pressure, they would become sitting targets over time to the predators. Instead deerhere, doe family groups included have a big area they use as a core living area and within that area they have options to escape and bed in...forthe many different pressures they receive, including hunters.

Its a good thing the habitat offers thick beddingoptionsand feeding options combinedjust about everywhere in every direction because if they all just went to a destination feeding source the mountain lions would be licking their chops and so would the wolves as the picked them off over and over....Instead I see a lot ofcyclingmovement for the most part within about a 200-300 acre area for the doe families and younger bucks...and 100-200 acres for the big bucks.

as for core living areas fora buck here during the rut.. Bucks will flat out abandom them heredue to the fact that doe famly groups areoften milesaway....spread out...we dont have a lot of deer per sq mile.. very low compared to what I experienced in ND, AB, Sask and Montana River bottom country. Buckshave a bigrange (5 up to 10 miles) out in these mountains.

Steve I often wonder in your areas where you have so many does and concentrated food sources...so close to a bucks core area if he can breed all night and get back to his core area over and over, doing most of his work under the cover of darkness??? Is your neighbor getting him on film at night or during the day too? Its physically impossible here for abuck to return to hiscore area in some cases here where he's miles away he'd be wasting a lot of energy and time...A buck is gonna go werean estrus doeand bed with here if hes the dominate buck or even if he hopes to get in on some action.. I saw 8 bucks one time on one doe, and they all were acting like they had a chance..I doubt all of them were near their core area.. I dont think core area is even a part of his vocabulary when hestending to and breeding a doe.. This explains the monsters that come out of the wood work every year across America and Canada ... and end up on some magazine covers...

back to core areas...By Dec 10th or so here.. the bucks that survive the rifle season and the rut...almost always show back up. I can always find them easily this time of the year because I have snow to pick up their tracks in....they thenplay the snow levels and temps in regards to where they are going to bed/feed and pretty much lay up and rest as much as they can.. this is when the predators really get after them ...Jan and Feb are tough times here..

Does this buck your referring too.. always come back and show up on your cameras in DEC? Is he around this same area in the summer once you can distinguish his antlers and tell its him?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shed33

Question for ya Troy. I believe a buck in the farm country I hunt in has his safe zone he goes to when the tough gets going (hunting pressure). I've got neighbors a mile away who see's the same buck I do the very next night on his camera during the rut. Never does he see this same buck I'm talking about in September or early October, only I see him on camera. Just in Late October or early November is when he see's him on camera. It seems once the rut kicks in the small core areas everyone talks about is kinda out the window if you ask me. I think there core area expands allot during the rut unless obviously they have a hot doe in the woods there in. Am I way off thinking like this?
What kind of predators do your deer deal with on a yearly basis?
We have our fair share coyotes and running dogs.

Steve I often wonder in your areas where you have so many does and concentrated food sources...so close to a bucks core area if he can breed all night and get back to his core area over and over, doing most of his work under the cover of darkness??? Is your neighbor getting him on film at night or during the day too?
With as many doe's as we have I could see them staying in there core area breeding all night, that makes sense! The neighbor seems to get him on film more so at night then in the day. Its more at night with my camera also.

quote]ORIGINAL: shed33

Does this buck your referring too.. always come back and show up on your cameras in DEC? Is he around this same area in the summer once you can distinguish his antlers and tell its him?
[/quote]
This year yes. We had him on camera heading out of our 130 acre woods about 4:00 AM just like usual. This is my first year using these cameras so I can't say for sure what has happened the previous year. It seems like in the summer months to about the middle of October the woods I hunt is full of these dandy bucks but once the rut kicks in our sightings are cut in half if were lucky. I know there patterns change as the seasons change. The crops coming out, the hunting pressure heats up, they get more into there fall and winter patterns, etc. I guess these camera's don't lie, they do seem to travel more. I think there core area is bigger then one thinks or maybe I should say there range is.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GregH

I believe that a mature bucks core area, which is very small in size, is his and his alone just after shedding their velvet until after the rut. However they definately overlap their home ranges.
two questions Greg? what age do you consider mature in this statement.. because I have watched more 3.5 year old bucks hang and bed with the same 3.5 year old buddy than I can shake a stick at and they do it well into OCt...finally how small of an area do you mean when you say small in size..

here a bucks core living area can be well over 100 acres... big country means big areas... his home range can be up to several miles were he ruts, is pushed by winter snows or travels to and from feed at night or to and from limited water in the summer time..... etc..

I dont know maybe I have the the wrong definition of core area and home range..
Yeah, a lot of times 3 1/2s will hang together, even during the rut. But I've never seen any older bucks do that. Here, where I hunt in farm country a big bucks core area, his sanctuary can be as small as 40 acres. Also, their home ranges are a lot larger during the rut. Sometimes bucks travel outside of their home range during the rut, this can be exciting when two big boys meet up. Things in farm country are usually a lot smaller than where you live. Example, a 40 acre patch of swamp in the middle of a 160 acre farm may be a big bucks core area. I guess you could say the take what they can get over here.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Dominant Buck

his sanctuary can be as small as 40 acres.
Something tells me it could be a LOT smaller than that if he has food, water and proper cover......ESPECIALLY as far as daytime activity goes.

So Greg.....if I hear you correcty......you're saying that there can only be one 4.5yr old or older in a given area (if their core areas don't overlap)?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Site Buck Guru

No, there could be a few 4 1/2s in a given area because their home ranges overlap. But they each like their own little sanctuary.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

I think they over lap all the time. Just going by what my cuddeback showed me I had 5 different P@Y bucks in a 130 acre woods through out the deer season between Late September and Late October. I thinks its good they overlap, the more competition the bucks have for each other the better for us hunters. This is when rattling works best for me.
Holy Crap. So much for no big bucks in MN
Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

I think they over lap all the time. Just going by what my cuddeback showed me I had 5 different P@Y bucks in a 130 acre woods through out the deer season between Late September and Late October. I thinks its good they overlap, the more competition the bucks have for each other the better for us hunters. This is when rattling works best for me.
Holy Crap. So much for no big bucks in MN
There here, you just gotta find them. It could be allot better if the gun season didn't kick our but so bad during the rut.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Of course they overlap.... especially during the rut. We had a stand one year that overlooked a couple big scrapes. But in no time it became an area of of about 15 scrapes in an area about the size of small lawn. The 3 biggest bucks shot at that club that year were all shot within 36 hours from the same stand, a monster12 point, a monster 10 and a very big 9 point.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I believe that a mature bucks core area, which is very small in size, is his and his alone just after shedding their velvet until after the rut. However they definately overlap their home ranges.
ORIGINAL: davidmil

Of course they overlap.... especially during the rut. We had a stand one year that overlooked a couple big scrapes. But in no time it became an area of of about 15 scrapes in an area about the size of small lawn. The 3 biggest bucks shot at that club that year were all shot within 36 hours from the same stand, a monster12 point, a monster 10 and a very big 9 point.
Seems like conflicting opinions but maybe not. I think Greg is talking about a buck's "sanctuary" when refering to the core area. I think DM is talking about the 40 acres or what have you that a buck likes to primarily patrol.

or do I interpret this wrong?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Site Buck Guru

You got my part right, I view a bucks core area as his "safe place". I don't know what DM is talking about.

Quick Reply: Do core areas overlap eachother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.