Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How well do you know deer? >

How well do you know deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Expert - knows anything and everything about deer.
3.20%
Advanced - Knows a lot but is still learning.
37.60%
Above average - Has studied deer for a couple of years and read a lot.
28.80%
Average - Has a keen interest and is trying to learn more.
22.40%
Beginner - Just starting and trying to put pieces together.
5.60%
Don't care - Just goes out and tries to shoot something.
2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default How well do you know deer?

Over 40 years ago when I used to wait for my dad to get home from hunting, I would eagerly wait by the window for his car to pull into the driveway. I couldn't wait to run out there and examine the deer that he and his friends would bring home. I was fascinated by these animals. I started reading everything I could get my hands on about deer. This fascination still holds true today.

I don't know about you, but for me and most people I know, when a deer is spotted it is a head turning event, a big deal. You just don't hear people screaming, "Honey, look!!! A SQUIRREL!!!" But with deer you do.

I have to say that by studying deer I have vastly improved my success at hunting them. Bucks and does alike. I will also say that mature bucks are are almost like studying another species by themselves.

The bottom line: Knowing your quarry intimately will increase your success in hunting them, dramatically.

Where does your knowledge fit?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Spike

Default RE: How well do you know deer?

above average,I am still learning and have a long!! ways to go.I always seem to find and kill more deer than anybody on our lease and I only hunt with a bow.My biggest learning curve has been on mature deer,I have pictures of some reallynice ones but did not see any of them all season.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I chose advanced. Call it young cockiness and maybe it is but i read literally everything i can get my hands on that has anything to do with deer!!! My roomate says that i am obsessed and he loves bowhunting!!! The difference is that i love deer on a completely different level than he does.I have been feverishly studying deer for the last 3 years. I try to read each new study that comes out on deer behavior. I am currently pursuing a double major in Environmental Science and Biology so that I can enter the field of wildlife biology and learn even more about deer through my own research.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I chose above average, i read, A LOT.

However, if I knew as much about deer, as turkeys...I'd be golden. Maybe some day.

I'm majoring in Biological sciences, with a concentration in Wildlife Biology...if that tells you anything.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not sure how much I "KNOW". I've got some ideas and theories ......but I don't think I know that much about deer. Absolutes in deer hunting are something I try not to be a part of.

I feel like I'll get grilled for this....but so what.

They have brains the size of small pears. We catch them going to eat......coming home form a night out.....or while letting their guard down during the mating process. These things I know.

I'll say it again.....this isn't rocket science.....and I'm content not labeling myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I said advanced.

After 33 years of chasing these critters, the last 15 with a bow, I think I have them sort of figured out. But never completely. This year will tell me a lot.Seeing if I can figureout my new property and how to hunt it.

HOWEVER, I AM STILL LEARNING!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked advanced,seem to be able to pattern up to 3.5 year olds lots of the time. The 3.5 an up take on a whole new approach they seem to do more traveling an you have to spend a lot oftime learning the land an when an where they are traveling.They seem to be more of a secluded creature.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm not sure how much I "KNOW". I've got some ideas and theories ......but I don't think I know that much about deer. Absolutes in deer hunting are something I try not to be a part of.

I feel like I'll get grilled for this....but so what.

They have brains the size of small pears. We catch them going to eat......coming home form a night out.....or while letting their guard down during the mating process. These things I know.

I'll say it again.....this isn't rocket science.....and I'm content not labeling myself.
If you don't have anything non bubble popping to say then... well, you know the rest. LOL jk

Seriously, I consider and will consider myself a beginner til I can consistently reach into the woods and pull out a top tier buck or doe.

I understand that they are intellectually inferior but it doesn't mean that beating them in their element means nothing. (not that I think Jeff thinks it means nothing) I respect them as masters of their own domain and am proudeach time I amstealthful enough to be in position to "pull it off".
Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Bartender

Somewhere between above and advance.
I wish I could say the same for the tech side of things.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I picked above average.I am a self taught hunter and learned everything I know by constantlyreading,listening,watching and alot of ground pounding in the woods.The way development and other hunting pressures and climate changesare now deer have to change habits all the time now to survive.I think I will never be able say I know everything maybe just be content with efficent.

Quick Reply: How well do you know deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.