Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow with only 4" of drop from 0-32yds. >

Bow with only 4" of drop from 0-32yds.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow with only 4" of drop from 0-32yds.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow with only 4" of drop from 0-32yds.

The original post is feasable except for the dead on at 0.The bow will be a couple inches low at the bow due to the sight paralax(line of sight above arrow) and then if the bow is zeroed from 25-28 yards,the trajectory would allow it to be just about what he said,especially if it isa reasonably fast bows,even a slower bow can be pretty close to it.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Near as I can tell you need to be shooting about 700fps to get only 4" drop at 30yds. Now that's a FAST bow!!!
I get 623 ft/sec using 32 ft/sec/sec for g but lets not quibble. Ain't no bow shoots that fast.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The original post is feasable except for the dead on at 0.The bow will be a couple inches low at the bow due to the sight paralax(line of sight above arrow) and then if the bow is zeroed from 25-28 yards,the trajectory would allow it to be just about what he said,especially if it isa reasonably fast bows,even a slower bow can be pretty close to it.
No way.The scenario you describe would have the max distance abovex=0 to be 2 inches. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:13 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Remember that the arrow has an initial velocity in the positive z-direction and gravity must first bring that initial velocity to zero, and then it would begin to actually drop. I bet your calculations are not taking that into account.
Can you explain that further? I'm an engineer and I don't understand it.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well let's define drop. The way I think of drop is the amount a projectile would fall in a given distance if shot perpendicular with gravity. That puts it in perspective. If you aimed an arrow at the top of a building 30 yards away and it hit 3 stories above where you stand would you say the arrow didn't drop at all? Of course not. Anyway, the calculation I used assumes shot perpendicular with gravity.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

He was saying that the due to the arrow resting below the sight, the arrow will be at a somewhat upward angle. When it is fired, it initially has an upward velocity component. Gravity immediatly begins slowing that upward velocity, but it takes some time. So basically, he is saying gravity doesn't immediatly begin to decrease the distance from the arrows initial posistion to the ground. I don't have a clue what calculations people used to determine their numbers, and I'm no engineer so I wouldn't be able to calculate it myself either. However hornady's calculator shows that a 400 grain projectile at 300 fps and a 2" sight height with a 17 yd zero would be -2" at 0yds, 0" at 17yds, and -2.9" at 25yds.

Can anybody calculate the MPBR (+/-2") for a 400 grain projectile, 300/350 fps, and no drag (it isn't that much a factor at those velocities/distances anyway) and see what in an ideal condition an arrow could do?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well get this LOAD.... The guy at the local PSE shop says the X-force uses 1-pin, thats right, 1-PIN all the way to 50 YARDS!! And will shoot the 340fps with any arrow, as other brand bows that say that, you have to use "their" arrow....

The guys trying to make a living, but i cant stand to here him talk about PSE.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

TFOX,
You have OnTarget or something like that, I remember seeing it once on here, draw a trajectory of an arrow traveling at 400fps, and see how high above a a level line from 0-32yds it goes, and I know there ain't nothing out there shooting 400fps, but that still won't get it anyhow. This guy claimed a maximum of 2" above the bull and nothing below the bull out to 32yds with ONE PIN being held DEAD ON, no overhold or underhold!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

He was saying that the due to the arrow resting below the sight, the arrow will be at a somewhat upward angle. When it is fired, it initially has an upward velocity component. Gravity immediatly begins slowing that upward velocity, but it takes some time. So basically, he is saying gravity doesn't immediatly begin to decrease the distance from the arrows initial posistion to the ground. I don't have a clue what calculations people used to determine their numbers, and I'm no engineer so I wouldn't be able to calculate it myself either. However hornady's calculator shows that a 400 grain projectile at 300 fps and a 2" sight height with a 17 yd zero would be -2" at 0yds, 0" at 17yds, and -2.9" at 25yds.

Can anybody calculate the MPBR (+/-2") for a 400 grain projectile, 300/350 fps, and no drag (it isn't that much a factor at those velocities/distances anyway) and see what in an ideal condition an arrow could do?
I did, refer back a page. I came up with, in idea conditions, an arrow keeping in that 4" window out to 32 yards if it travels at (corrected p 4) (if I remember right). It blew my mind too, but remember, no air resistance!

Weight has no influence on how fast an object drops. I came up with, using constant acc. equations that are standard, an upward velocity V(y) due to that slight upward tilt of the arrow of 5.7 fps to give it a max of 2" of height before the arrow starts falling. Transfer the numbers into the X direction using the same equations and away you go....
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

My program is down but I have run that scenario many times on it.

Remember that the pin is set for 25-28 yards.The drop from there to 32 on a fast bow will be around 4" which is exactly what he says he shoots low,now all that is left is to figure how high will the arrow be at it's highest point,my experience tells me about 3".WHEN 0 IS27 YARDS.

It just can't be dead on at the bow due to sight paralax,(arrow is below the pin)

Quick Reply: Bow with only 4" of drop from 0-32yds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.