HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you do with your old bow (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/237053-what-do-you-do-your-old-bow.html)

BigDaddy12t 03-12-2008 08:47 AM

What do you do with your old bow

I have noticed that there seams to be alot of guys that get a new bow every year or two. Do you keep your old bows, trade them in on the new bow, or sell them outright.

mobow 03-12-2008 08:57 AM

RE: What do you do with your old bow

I've kept a couple over the years, but now that I cycle a new bow every year, I trade them in. Keeps my out of pocket cost to an absolute bare minimum.

txjourneyman 03-12-2008 09:05 AM

I have given them away, sold them, and kept them. I guess it depends on my finances at the time.

Brknarrow1970 03-12-2008 09:07 AM

I trade my in or sell it - only have one or two that I reget letting go of

buckmaster 03-12-2008 09:07 AM

I buy the year old one that someone's selling:D

GR8atta2d 03-12-2008 09:08 AM

I only had one other bow..and man I wish I woulda kept it. Plan to add to my stable this year when the Bowtech Staff guys sell off this years models..

HEAR THAT BUCKEYE and/or GREG/MO !! :D;)

Armybowhunter28 03-12-2008 09:09 AM

I have kept my old one for sentimental value.

Dubbya 03-12-2008 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I only had one other bow..and man I wish I woulda kept it. Plan to add to my stable this year when the Bowtech Staff guys sell off this years models..

Gr8, buckeye's bows are cursed... you DON'T want them, I promise.;)

Sliverflicker 03-12-2008 09:58 AM

I have most of my old recurves, my wife and oldest son(when he got big enough) got my hand me down compounds,till they started wanting new stuff anyway.
I have sold a few, and gave a few awayto people that were interested but not really financially in a position to get started.

MGH_PA 03-12-2008 10:06 AM

I have never sold a bow. Still have all four bows. I'll likely keep the CR334 for hunting, and when I upgrade, it will be a target bow (that I can still take hunting when I want).

SwampCollie 03-12-2008 10:19 AM

My last "old" bow I sold to my best friend, who is a new father, and already has another one on the way. It was an 03 UltraTec, I loaded it up for him with a whisker buscuit (what he wanted) a FO sight, quiver, stabilizer and I bought him a dozen arrows. Sold it to him for $200, which covered the cost of all the stuff I put on it for him, and I set it up and tuned it and all totally free. He got an awesome bow, I got rid of one I wasn't using, and I didn't lose money and he didn't get ripped off. Its what friends are for.

I've sold a couple on ebay. Ironically, both of the bows I sold there, I also bought used, and I made money on both of them... in one case I made about $100.

Texas Tracker 03-12-2008 10:20 AM

Down here in Texas there is a guy. you guys know him. He started setting up wounded vets with bows and gets them ready to hunt as a form of rehab. His name is Tink as in Tinks 69. His program is Bows For Heros. Look it up on the net and if you guys have extra bows, arrows, or any equipment you are not using send them down.I give all my extra gear to him. Its a great program and it makes me feel good giving backto the guys who put there life on the line for my freedom.

Wiaxle 03-12-2008 10:29 AM

I got all of mine (4 over the years) and as people need them I loan them out, but do ask for them back.

Have had a couple times where the only bow in the house was my current one, all the rest were out being used.

Don't put a time limit on them, they are given back when not needed anymore...

huntingson 03-12-2008 10:32 AM

I have never sold one. I either donate them to a charity or give them to someone who wants a bow but can't afford a good one. That said, I have only had 4 in 21 years of bowhunting so it is not like I am all that generous.

GR8atta2d 03-12-2008 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Dubbya

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Gr8, buckeye's bows are cursed... you DON'T want them, I promise.;)
shhhhh I just picked him cuz I can save a boat load on shipping...[:-]

OKbowhunter20 03-12-2008 10:46 AM

I turned my old bow into a bowfishing rig:D

davidmil 03-12-2008 11:00 AM

I keep my newest old bow for a back up. When I get another I've always found someone I thought was deserving and gave it away. I hung one in Len's collection of old bows at his shop.

gutshot 03-12-2008 12:04 PM

I sale mine in the classified section.

halfrack VIII 03-12-2008 01:26 PM

THEY GO ON THE WALL OF FAME

Geronimo 03-12-2008 02:15 PM

Sell it on Ebay..over the years I have sold 4 bows on Ebay!

greenboy 03-12-2008 03:23 PM

I either sell them, or give them too people that I think will put them too good use.:eek:

peakrut 03-12-2008 03:24 PM

Ive had my Hoyt since 2000 but pretty soon it will be going to my son and DADDY getting a new toy.:)

TeeJay 03-12-2008 04:13 PM

Ditto except I go 2-3 years.

ORIGINAL: mobow

I've kept a couple over the years, but now that I cycle a new bow every year, I trade them in. Keeps my out of pocket cost to an absolute bare minimum.

MECHDOC 03-12-2008 06:43 PM

I have six bows now.I also buy one year old models usually on ebay.Only themost recentone I have purchased gets used the rest of them are conversation pieces on a rack now.When my son gets older I will give them all to him.

sluedtke 03-12-2008 06:49 PM

I sell them on ebay, I just sold my old one and about to sell a friends old one. Suprisingly you can get pretty good money selling them on ebay. I just recently bought another off of ebay...

Rob/PA Bowyer 03-12-2008 06:59 PM

I've sold bows to friends, I've sold bows on internet forums and they've gone throughout the US. I sold one to my movers when I built my log home.:D

SouthDakotaHunter 03-12-2008 07:17 PM

Last one I got rid of I sold... Helps keep down the out of pocket expense for the new one:D

ArrowMike 03-12-2008 07:22 PM

ebay

brotherbdc 03-12-2008 09:30 PM

I had to sell 2 bows just to get my new one, I sold a 2007 Tomkat, and an old Jenings. So now Im down to 1 compound and one recurve.

OHbowhntr 03-12-2008 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I have given them away, sold them, and kept them. I guess it depends on my finances at the time.
Ditto!!!

907Alaska 03-13-2008 01:37 AM

I keep every bowI have ever bought

PABuck_HNTR 03-13-2008 04:14 AM

I usually put them on ebay

ahunter55 03-13-2008 11:28 AM

I have usually given them to someone starting in Archery as I tend to keep them for a few years as backup. I DO HAVE my recurve I took my 1st Biggame animal with back in 1958 at 16. Sentemental value only.

LKNCHOPPERS 03-13-2008 12:13 PM

I usually don't upgrade every year, so my old bows are pretty old and not worth much for resale. I keep them setup as a backup and when someone wants to try archery I let them use the old bow this way no one ever gets to draw my primary bow but me.I have seen and heard of too many dry fires by green horns.

philip_grubaugh 03-13-2008 12:39 PM

i have kept mine for bowfishing.