Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowtech questions >

Bowtech questions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech questions

Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtech questions

Okay, so we've got questions 1 & 5 answered. Regarding #5, I definitely see your point, Matt. There isn't much point reinvesting tens of thousands into marketing a bow that has already been marketed. Everybody knows about the Ally. I guess my viewpoint was that, until I checked their website, I thought the Allegiance had actually been discontinued in lieu of the General, Commander and Airbornes.

Thanks Matt - good response.
__________________________________________________ ___

That leaves 2, 3, 4 and 6 still open. #3 was "sorta" answered, but I'm not satisfied with "over 100,000 adult bows."

Bowtech Shooter: One thing that you said kinda makes me wonder... "Matt pretty much nailed everything, even the things he knows NOT to disclose..." (Emphasis Added).

I must ask - why the secrecy? Is there something to hide? Wouldn't it be fair to the consumers to have all this information available, so that prospective buyers can know exactly what they're getting for their hard-earned dollars? I mean, it's largely the SAME for everybody. I'm sure Mathews is forking out roughly the same amount on the roller guard patentas Bowtech. Same thing with the camo patterns. Everybody has to buy their camo patterns from its proprietary owner. It's definitely not something that is specific to Bowtech.

Please note that I also understand that there may be volume or "sweetheart" discounts... I don't care about all that. I just want a "ballpark" figure.

Also, like Swampcollie noted: asking about sales volume isn't something that I would consider "Top Secret." I mean, come on.

I won't push the envelope any further, b/c I don't want to get anyone upset. But, seeing as how I like to consider myself a consumer advocate - I feel like these are questions that are legitimate, and not beyond the bounds of corporate privilege. Believe me, I understand that certain information will always be played close to the vest, as it should. But I don't think any of my questions are over that line.

Furthermore, is it really worth having "corporate staff" if you're going to put tape over their collective mouths and filter the information disseminated to the public?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Furthermore, is it really worth having "corporate staff" if you're going to put tape over their collective mouths and filter the information disseminated to the public?
Is it worth having employees who have inside information and are sworn by contract not to disclose information, is it worth having investors who are sworn to private information, is it worth having accountants or lawyers who cannot disclose certain information?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Bowtech is no different than any other company in corporate america. Some info is classified, and will not be released. Never will be. That's true whether we're talking bows or soup.

I'm not corporate staff of anything, but as I understand Bowtech's corporate staff, they are not around to discuss the financial business of Bowtech. They are around to provide technical support, and answer questions regarding the bows themselves. Let's call them informed salesman that don't work on commission. They get their kickbacks, sure.....but it's not in the form of a paycheck.

Hope I didn't speak out of turn or step on anyone's toes.....Just calling it as I see it and understand it to be. Didn't mean to speak for anyone.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is just coming from someone who works for a giant corporate company that made us all take about a half dozen training sessions on keeping stuff "secret".

You would not believe all the seemingly "innocent"info thatis to be kept under wraps or you will be axed ASAP.
All the stuff that hasn't been answered is well within the boundries that my company laid out.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My questions weren't so much directed at our "corporate staff" people... Moreso toward Bowtech_Shooter, who is, at least in my opinion, positioned more appropriately to speak on behalf of the company. Or at least explain his failure to respond.

Just b/c I know a bunch of the guys, I know that the "corporate staff" moniker is a bit of a misnomer - b/c they aren't around to offer actual"corporate" info - more on the technical/marketing side of things. So I definitely know where you're coming from, Mobow.

Rybo - you're definitely right - and that comes into play, especially with low-level employees, who may not know what is/isn't "privileged" or "trade secret,"it's much easier to just tell them "don't say anything to anyone."It covers your ass.

But, that doesn't mean that an inquisitiveconsumer can't ask a properly-authorized company representative a legitimate question, and get a legitimate answer in return.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Okay, so we've got questions 1 & 5 answered. Regarding #5, I definitely see your point, Matt. There isn't much point reinvesting tens of thousands into marketing a bow that has already been marketed. Everybody knows about the Ally. I guess my viewpoint was that, until I checked their website, I thought the Allegiance had actually been discontinued in lieu of the General, Commander and Airbornes.

Thanks Matt - good response.
__________________________________________________ ___

That leaves 2, 3, 4 and 6 still open. #3 was "sorta" answered, but I'm not satisfied with "over 100,000 adult bows."

Bowtech Shooter: One thing that you said kinda makes me wonder... "Matt pretty much nailed everything, even the things he knows NOT to disclose..." (Emphasis Added).

I must ask - why the secrecy? Is there something to hide? Wouldn't it be fair to the consumers to have all this information available, so that prospective buyers can know exactly what they're getting for their hard-earned dollars? I mean, it's largely the SAME for everybody. I'm sure Mathews is forking out roughly the same amount on the roller guard patentas Bowtech. Same thing with the camo patterns. Everybody has to buy their camo patterns from its proprietary owner. It's definitely not something that is specific to Bowtech.

Please note that I also understand that there may be volume or "sweetheart" discounts... I don't care about all that. I just want a "ballpark" figure.

Also, like Swampcollie noted: asking about sales volume isn't something that I would consider "Top Secret." I mean, come on.

I won't push the envelope any further, b/c I don't want to get anyone upset. But, seeing as how I like to consider myself a consumer advocate - I feel like these are questions that are legitimate, and not beyond the bounds of corporate privilege. Believe me, I understand that certain information will always be played close to the vest, as it should. But I don't think any of my questions are over that line.

The payments made by a company re: royalties is of no use to the consumer, IMO. Knowing it won't change the price of the end product. Money payments aren't always the way it's done, anyway. You know exactly what you're getting when you use what you bought. Have you found any of this info from Mathews, or any other company,to be public knowledge?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Why is bowtech's market share in the archery business none of the consumers business? Seems rather like a slap in the face to me.

Can you get real figures directly from any other bow company?

The reason you can'tis because they are privately held companies.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

My questions weren't so much directed at our "corporate staff" people... Moreso toward Bowtech_Shooter, who is, at least in my opinion, positioned more appropriately to speak on behalf of the company. Or at least explain his failure to respond.

Just b/c I know a bunch of the guys, I know that the "corporate staff" moniker is a bit of a misnomer - b/c they aren't around to offer actual"corporate" info - more on the technical/marketing side of things. So I definitely know where you're coming from, Mobow.

Rybo - you're definitely right - and that comes into play, especially with low-level employees, who may not know what is/isn't "privileged" or "trade secret,"it's much easier to just tell them "don't say anything to anyone."It covers your ass.

But, that doesn't mean that an inquisitiveconsumer can't ask a properly-authorized company representative a legitimate question, and get a legitimate answer in return.

Let's just say I knowwhat I can and can't say. That's why I answered question #1 as Matt did a great job of answering the rest of them for you.

FWIW, the title of Corporate Staff had been modified as they were orginally (and I'd like to see it changed back) calledCorporate Advisory Staff.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

Why is bowtech's market share in the archery business none of the consumers business? Seems rather like a slap in the face to me.

I understand that. The rationale behind my asking is that bowtech is still a very young company... what about 9-10 years old now? For a company so young to have become one of the most sought after, and leading bow companies is certainly not without merit. From a business study standpoint, I was curious as to exactly how many shooters Bow tech put their product into the hands of last year?

I understand not disclosing royalty rights for designs, thats contractual stuff. No gripe from me here. I don't care how much you mark up your bows from your actual cost to wholesale price. This is America, you can charge whatever you want and make as much money as you can... good on you. I'm more interested just in how the company has grown and where they have put their money and where they have set their sights. Honestly I'm just curious from a business standpoint here.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

I understand that. The rationale behind my asking is that bowtech is still a very young company... what about 9-10 years old now? For a company so young to have become one of the most sought after, and leading bow companies is certainly not without merit. From a business study standpoint, I was curious as to exactly how many shooters Bow tech put their product into the hands of last year?

I understand not disclosing royalty rights for designs, thats contractual stuff. No gripe from me here. I don't care how much you mark up your bows from your actual cost to wholesale price. This is America, you can charge whatever you want and make as much money as you can... good on you. I'm more interested just in how the company has grown and where they have put their money and where they have set their sights. Honestly I'm just curious from a business standpoint here.

Again, I can't really give the actual bow numbers (however I did see themposted in a thread on Bowsite last week) but I can tell you that from 2006 to 2007 archery grew approx. 6% and our sales grew 86% which means we took approx. 80% of others market share.

Quick Reply: Bowtech questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.