HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I' m interested in Bowhunting, where to start? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/23667-i-m-interested-bowhunting-where-start.html)

LittleHuntinFool 02-13-2003 08:46 PM

I' m interested in Bowhunting, where to start?

I' ve been hunting for awhile, but I' m now interested in maybe trying out bowhunting. I got addicted to shooting a friends bow in his backyard at a decoy and well, now I' m addicted! Now I' m a youngin, but I have had my first job for awhile now so I have decided I' m am gunna pay for anything I buy pertaining to bow' s. What' s a good starter bow? I' m willing to pay good money for a good bow, but I' d like to keep it on the cheap side if possible. What' s a good way to get into bowhunting?

I figure all the big bucks get taken during bowseason, I should be a part of that. ;)

Little Jimmy 02-13-2003 09:20 PM

RE: I' m interested in Bowhunting, where to start?

There are two things that I would recommend right off. First go to your local archery range and talk to the archers their. Ask as many questions as you can. Most are more then willing to help and you will find out your best local pro shop. Then go to the local pro shop and start asking questions. When you have all those questions answered then start looking at bows. I believe there are a lot of good used equipment out there and a great starting point. The only thing I would stay away from for a beginner is to go to a department store to by your first equipment. Get help from some one that dose it for a living.

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-13-2003 09:21 PM

Shopping around is the name of the game. You should visit as many quality pro shops as you can and discuss your needs. Don' t just visit one and be pushed into a bow because the shop has said bow. There are so many quality bows on the market today and just because I shoot a Hoyt doesn' t mean you should.

Just visit the Which Bow Poll and you' ll see the choices are endless. Also, reading these forums is a great idea. I honestly feel we have the best bowhunters in the world sharing knowledge amoungst everyone here. The Technical forum is great for information as well if not better.

THEN, practice, practice, practice and don' t attempt to shoot at a live target until you are 100% ready.

CAJUNBOWHNTR 02-13-2003 10:34 PM

Find a pro shop in your area that has a good reputation among the local bowhunters.You may pay a little more for the bow but it' s worth it to get fit propely and get off on the right foot.Ask them to throw in a few basic shooting lessons.There are alot of good bows in the $300-400 price range.Just pick one out that feels good to you.You don' t need to spend a ton on acessories.GT hunters are cheap but decent arrows and a TM hunter is a cheap, proven rest.I still use a quickie quiver,cheap and functional.Good luck.

CB

thundermug 02-14-2003 03:45 AM

when you go hunting have the attitude that you want a quick kill... meaning the deer dies fast, not that you shoot fast. accurate shot placement at known distances is the key to that.

BowHuntingFool 02-14-2003 07:05 AM

After you get your bow, Practice, Practice and Practice! Good Shootin! peace

Mathewsbow1 02-14-2003 09:06 AM

lilhuntnfool,

I totally agree w/liljimmy, rob/pa bowyer, and cajunbowhntr. I personally shot a Mathews and love it. I have helped several friends wanting to get into bow hunting purchase their first bow. We found that for the money and lifetime warranty, Champion is the smoothest and most comfortable bow FOR THE MONEY ($300). It does not shot like a $600-$700 bow, but is an outstanding bow for novice users. It is a respectable bow that is quite, accurate, durable, and with outstanding customer service. Take a look at it along with as many others bows you can shoot and pick out the one that feels the best to you. You will be the only one shooting and paying for this bow, so make sure it is the bow that feels best to you within in the price range you want to spend.

Thanks and good hunting!!!
jt

Tazman 02-14-2003 09:39 AM

Lot of good advice so far, now my 2 cents worth!

1. You do not need the fastest bow on the market, you do not need the most expensive, nor the cheapest. You need to get a good bow that fits YOU! Forget the name brand and the speed, you will always shoot a good bow that fits you better than the fastest most expensive bow that does not feel right!

2. Get your bow at a pro shop, you will pay a little more, but in the long run you will spend less, less time and frustration with a bow that may not fit you right, less time trying to tune a bow that you may have no idea how to tune. You will also spend less money on bells and whistles that either you do not need or may not function as advertised. Ask fellow archers in the area what bow shop they feel will work with you the best.

3. A pro shop will also get you set up with the right arrows and broadheads to match you and your bow.

4. Get your bow soon and practice, practice, practice. When you first start praticing, once your arms get tired, stop. You start to make mistakes when you practice for to long. You will find that the more you shoot the longer you will be able to practice without your muscles getting to tired.

5. Make sure you get as high a poundage bow as you can pull comfortably, the pro shop will help you with that. If they tell you that 50 pounds is the heaviest draw weight you can handle, do not buy any more than that.

6. Remember it is not the speed of the bow nor the draw weight that kills deer, it is shot placement! A well placed shot with a 40 lb bow will kill more deer than a soso shot with an 80 lb bow!

7. Once you have gotten your bow and you have been practicing a lot, you need to determine your Ethical maximum hunting range. The way to determine this is if you can put 6 out of 6 shots into a pie plate at 30 yards, you subtract 10 yards to allow for nerves and the fact that a deer moves and a target does not.

8. One more note on maximum range (I may catch some flak on this), do not take a shot over 30 yards unless the deer is still, not on alert, and it' s head is down.

9. Make sure you understand the kill zone on a deer, broadside, quartering to you, and quartering away.

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here that will help you out, first thing is to get that bow and start practicing.

LittleHuntinFool 02-14-2003 04:54 PM

Thanks guys. This really helps me out :)

Buck Magnet 02-15-2003 11:00 AM

Hey Little,

I am gonna give you a few good bows that are priced on the lower end, don' t just buy one, like the others have said, shoot them and determine for yourself.

Matrin Tracer Mag (roughly 299.99-319.99)

Hoyt MT Sport (279.99-329.99)

Browning Tornado (299.99-319.99)

BowTech Stalker (389.99-409.99)

There are many more ,but these are some of the bows that I really thought were great bows.

Also, don' t get caught up in speed hype (sound contradicitng since I have a BowTech MightyMite on hold at the pro-shop ;))

I own a Hoyt MT Sport right now, and, I am pulling 244 f.p.s. with it. More than enough to kill a deer.

Read as much as you can about archery hunting, and prepare yourself for it, it is alot different than rifle hunting, and, you need to know what you are getting into.

I would say that this summer, try to take a treestand into the woods and set up in an area that you probablly won' t archery hunt. Wait for deer to come in, then, act like you have your bow with you and you are hunting. When the deer comes in, prepare for the shot (stand up), go through the motions of bringing up a bow and coming to full draw, act out the release, ect.. This will give you an idea of what you are going to be doing when you actually have a bow in your hands.

I might add more to this later, but, I gotta go to work now.