Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er >

Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er

Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er

Well, last week I finally received my new strings from gibblet (awesome strings, btw), and so I contacted Rob to set up a time to get them put on (he had generously offered to do this a while back). So on Saturday, I was able to meet Rob at his house for what would turn into one heck of a project Rob gave me a tour of his log home (pictures on here don't even do it justice, you have to see this place), and now I want one even more. We got down to business and after getting my strings and cables on, I was able to watch Rob tie in my nocksets, drop-away rest, setup centershot, etc all the while I'm asking questions here and there (a great learning experience). I'm starting a bit of a tool list for what I would like to get in the near future to let me get somewhat of a small shop going.

Once we thought we were ready to get shooting and sighting in, we had a bit of an issue when we had to use the bottom pin (at the time I had 7 pins in the housing, lol) to hit close to where we were aiming at 18yds. Something was a bit messed up. Rob ended up taking the sight apart piece by piece, we used out specialized pin remover (cutters, lol) to remove the bottom pin to gain some more adjustment room. After a while (ok about 5 hours) we were able to get it dialed in and shooting decently. We braved teh rain for a bit of outdoor shooting, and I was able to shoot my first ever foam target. I got lucky on the 40yd buck with two 12s, lol, but you know what, I'll take it. I even spotted Rob's elusive blonde squirrel, which was awesome for me since I've never seen one.

All in all, I had a blast, and it was great meeting a member on here. Most of you guys know Rob is a standup guy, and I'm just reinforcing it. The man knows archery. Not only that, but he's very willing to teach you anything and everything. He coached me on my form, and even taught me the proper grip and usage of my ST-3 release (which I shot for the first time on Sat). In the end, Rob spent almost 6 hours working on my bow, and wouldn't accept any $$, I'll find a way to make it up to him. You don't get the kind of attention to detail like this from most places around here, so it was great to have learned so much, and walking away KNOWING your bow is setup. Rob, thanks for the great time, the work, and the calling demo was great as well (guys this man can turkey call...).

Can't wait to meet more of the crew, and hopefully I'll get some time tweaking my sight and be ready to start doing some weekend shoots with you guys.

Oh, and I was able to shoot Rob's General and 82nd...all I have to say is...wow. Yeah, wow pretty much sums it up.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er

Matt I had a great time, I really did. It was fun working on a Ross, (my first) and just shooting the BS. I wish we would have had better weather. It was my pleasure Matt, get her all set and find the time to join us on a Sunday. You'll have a hoot.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

get her all set and find the time to join us on a Sunday. You'll have a hoot.

That's for sure.Can't wait to shoot with ya bud.

There are only two downsides to joining theSunday shoots. One, you will lose you figure.....there are some amazingpeanut butter eggs for sale at the shop where we shoot. Two, the fee maybe ten dollars but for some reasonit can cost youtwo more when you shoot with Rob.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say thats pretty darn good when someone takes the better part of a day to help someone set up their bow .
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Ben, Sliver...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I would say thats pretty darn good when someone takes the better part of a day to help someone set up their bow .
Exactly...I felt terrible actually that I took up most of his afternoon, lol, but I think we both had fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob may be a Bowtech guy, but he's known bows for long before he got on board with them. Heck, he even picked up my goofy handed Mathews and it didn't burst into flames.

Kudos Rob.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Matt, don't fret it, it was a rainy day and talking and playing with bows is just what the doctor ordered...LOL

Brian, your right, the Mathews never burst in flames but I had a hard time washing that icky feeling off my hands. [8D] I only had that feeling one other time, and that was tkycaller's (Wags) bow...LOL
Old 03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Matt, don't fret it, it was a rainy day and talking and playing with bows is just what the doctor ordered...LOL

Brian, your right, the Mathews never burst in flames but I had a hard time washing that icky feeling off my hands. [8D] I only had that feeling one other time, and that was tkycaller's (Wags) bow...LOL
So I take it you liked my Dren? [8D]

Just busting your chops........lol
Old 03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOL, that's right I forgot I sent a couple arrows down range, Bry, yours was the third Mathews to grace my hands...LOL[8D]

Edit: Wags was the second, I test fired one when I bought my Ally... remember guys, then Wags, RJ's and Bry's...LOL

Quick Reply: Saturday, Rain, and Bows, and meeting and HNI'er

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.