Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I "selling out"? >

Am I "selling out"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I "selling out"?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Am I "selling out"?

It'll just take a different mindset. I do want to hunt the new land....and I want to hunt the land I have, now. I just have to stop worrying about what's happening at the current land so much. It'll become "just a place to hunt".....and I guess I'll get used to it.

I don't try ot do the mgmt all by myself. I talk to the neighboring hunters all the time. I know what they're taking (doe-wise). I don't ask about bucks. Not my business.

And yes, Andy....I DO have poachers that hunt where I do. Funny thing.....Lisa and I were walking around the DDC last week....and I hope you got to go in there and see all the NC (and other state's) mounts. I swear to you the FIRST one I looked at......was a deer my poaching neighbor killed. I "think" I posted a story abouta nice 10-point rack I saw whenI went to his house(it was a frsh kill.....and sitting outside) to talk to him after my feeder and stand were stolen. I saw that deer again, Saturday....at the DDC......on the wall.[:@]

Edit***

I just went back and searched. Here is a follow up post (from 9/30/07)to Bry I'd made when my stuff got stolen. I mention the 10 point rack (see above) in this post. See what i deal with?????[:'(]

Bry thats good advice. I've cooled down...and though I realize it's unfortunate....I won't do anything that would put my family in harm's way. It's NOT worth that. Nothing is.

I'll continue to hunt the area.....only with a climber. I'll continue to feed the deer......only I'll do so manually. It's not that nig a deal......I can do so on my lunch hour.....a couple times a week.

These guys have access to ONE acre......and I didn't mention that I saw a pair of what looked like fresh antlers when I was there......larger than anything I've ever seen taken from these woods. They shoot guns over there so much....i think it could be to hide the fact they're shooting guns on the woods.....outside of the season. I don't KNOW it.....but it's been their M.O. for years (according to those who know them MUCH better than I).

Ihope I never have to lay eyes on them, ever again. I'm not going to let them run me out, though. I'll hunt it when I want to......and as much as I want to. Can you believe I'm talking about land ONLY I have permission to hunt?????[:@]
It might be a welcome breath of fresh air to get away from these guys, some.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you sized up the new place to see what it's potential may be yet? Not much I can add that has not been said, You seem to always do your homework and I am sure you will have a plan by the time you need it.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've hunted the small parcels near my home for the past 2.5 yrs. I made a decision before last season to discuss whatI could do to improve the herd dynamics (and at the same time improve the hunting) with the state's game agency (NCWRC).

My 2007 season was geared mostly towards management of the herd, here.

Spring forward, now......and I JUST got access to 200 acres that looks great. If I spend the time it's going to take to get accustomed to this land and the new herd.....I'm not going to be able to meet my management goals on the land where I live.

So....if I take the new land and run.....doesn't it seem like I'm selling out the herd where I cut my teeth? Would anyone give this a second thought? I'm not taking this lightly. On one hand I'm excited. On the other.....not so much.
No second thought needed! You take on the new land PERIOD!You also put in some time at your other spot also! Actually I think your hunting is gonna get better with more options!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my take on it for what it is worth-

You have taken two great bucks off from your current property, very fortunate to be with in walking distance of your current land

The new land will be exciting because of the unknown possibilities and like you stated you can set-up a few sites without the same level of concern with theft- which will be a refreshing change from carrying your climber everytime

So there are pros and cons to both - I would utilze your new land for buck oppurtunities and keep your old land for doe hunts only this year- this will make the new land a challenge and the you will feel as though you are not selling anything out on the old land - Hunt the new land at peak times (rut) and the old land for whenever you don't feel like the drive - both things will still be accomplished and your will enjoy your hunts more than last year - and oh I got 2 dozen arrows and you know my number
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

It might be a welcome breath of fresh air to get away from these guys, some.
Well, I think you answered your own question buddy. If after huntingthe new propertysome, andyou just dont feel good about yourself, you can always go back and concentrate on hunting your original management property. Having a new property can really make the upcoming season really fun and exciting even way before the season starts. Myself, and the circumstances you have experienced at the original place, I'd be all over that new spot while still doing some hunting at the old spot.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

While I can fully understand your question, for me there would be no "dilemma" at all. IMO, a guy can't have too many places to hunt.

We have a family farm of roughly 300 acres and it will always be my favorite and most sentimental place I will ever hunt. But as mentioned, 300 acres is not that big if being constantly hunted and leaving scent coming and going, etc.

Having an additional property that I have sole control of 20 miles away allows me to not "overhunt" either place. And as far as the herd management aspect, what I have done the last several years and will continue to do is to get young people involved in bowhunting in inviting them to help me thin out the does a couple of weekends out of the season.

I have already converted to 20 something "gun" hunters to bow only and havepromised a 16 yo hunting fanatic that I am going to take him this fall and he can't wait.

Just my .02
Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you're overthinking this waaayyy too much. I know you feel like you have a responsibility to help manage the herd on the property you've been hunting, but keep in mind that to accomplish the goals you have set will take years. So, keep your goals in mind and hunt both properties and enjoy it. You'll get to your management goal eventually, but there is no deadline for it.

As others have said, have fun. It's just hunting.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take care of any work you need done on either place Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Hunting IMO should not be looked at as a job.
What he said.

If you try and do too much, you'll hate hunting. Hunt where you enjoy it the most. Shoot what makes you the happiest.

If you really feel that bad about the overabundance of deer in the one spot, take some 22 subsonics & a spotlight and go to town......Ok that last part was an OBVIOUS joke for those who might miss such a thing.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

You only have so much free time and you got to walk around with a smile on your face
Do what makes tick every day?

Quick Reply: Am I "selling out"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.