Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my draw length too long? pic >

Is my draw length too long? pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my draw length too long? pic

Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my draw length too long? pic

I also feel the draw length is too long but it may not be as long as the form makes it look,but then again it might be.

The first thing imo that needs to be done is take the kisser off and throw it in the trash.Then adjust the draw about a 1/2" down(this might not be enough but a good starting point imo) and get a new release that has a more forward trigger design and adjust it short.

Then work on some of the issues brought up and use video,pictures and full length mirrors to help fix obvious problems,The link Matt gave should be a nice starting point to see what is considered some good form.

The one thing I can tell you is the first thing you will notice when trying to not lean back is that it will feel like you are leaning forward and this is one reason to use a mirror and video.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah you can't work on much else until you get a proper fit on draw length and that release........

To give you an idea, the web of your release hand Thumb / Index fingers should be sitting about where the thick part of the head of your release is in that picture.

You need at least 1" shorter draw length IMO although it's just a guess, and a different release style to one of the more forward trigger designs that promote proper form and anchor in conjunction with a string loop.
The style you have just isn't going to work even if you get the draw length to the correct position unless maybe if you decided to try shooting off the string?
The barrel is too long and the trigger to far rearward.

Get that stuff corrected first and then you can work on the other stuff, grip, bow arm, draw arm position, shoulders, posture etc etc. Without proper fit there's no point in really discussing the rest because you can't get into the positions we will suggest.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Yea id say its a little bit too long...your leaning back and your bwo arm is locked...and there is too much palm on the grip
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Yeah you can't work on much else until you get a proper fit on draw length and that release........

To give you an idea, the web of your release hand Thumb / Index fingers should be sitting about where the thick part of the head of your release is in that picture.

You need at least 1" shorter draw length IMO although it's just a guess, and a different release style to one of the more forward trigger designs that promote proper form and anchor in conjunction with a string loop.
The style you have just isn't going to work even if you get the draw length to the correct position unless maybe if you decided to try shooting off the string?
The barrel is too long and the trigger to far rearward.

Get that stuff corrected first and then you can work on the other stuff, grip, bow arm, draw arm position, shoulders, posture etc etc. Without proper fit there's no point in really discussing the rest because you can't get into the positions we will suggest.
The same can be true if you get too short as well.

The problem with getting proper fit first is that you have no idea what proper is untill you get a few form issues fixed first.

They will most likely need to be addressed together.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes, it is way long! Your leaning back, your bow arm is locked out straight, your too grippy on the bow,
Exactly what Rob said. Way long. Shorten in 1/2 inch increments and get used to each as you go shorter. If you move iit all at once it'll really throw you and you'll more than likely end up saying, "these guys don't know what they're talking about". I'd say you're more than an inch, more like one and a half. Keep shooting with that front shoulder all jacked up in the air you'll have shoulder problems.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Yes, it is way long! Your leaning back, your bow arm is locked out straight, your too grippy on the bow,
what he said............
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 AM

Looks way to long to me. I'd shorten it an inch and try to bend my bow arm a little.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I don't want to satrt an arguement, but the bow is a Martin so shortening it a full inch is as simple as swapping out to the next smaller module. This is a fairly easy change. Only shortening by 1/2" entails moving the string to the next shorter post on the cam and will cause a need to relocate his nocking point, kisser, and peep.

Although I didn't say it I agree with TFOX about trashing the kisser button. In over 35 years of shooting I've never had a use for one. It comes down to getting the bow adjusted for good repeatable anchors and relying on the peep.. Heck, if you get the bow fitted just right you don't even need the peep for such short shooting as when hunting.

I'm glad to see some of you guys saying to change one or two things at a time. I agree that there is so much going on in the pic that changing too much at a time might cause other form problems. I honestly think I'd start with the bow's drawlength and the release.

Barry
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

about and inch too long
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM

looks to long to me maybe try shorter release

Quick Reply: Is my draw length too long? pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.