Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Injured Deer

Old 03-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Spike

Default Injured Deer

I know nature takes care of itself, but we have a deer that frequents our property(subdivision) and the front left leg is injured badly. This deer can hardly walk and its very sad to watch. When there are other deer in the area, they seem to pick on the injured one by chasing it around. Again, very sad to watch and wish there was some way to put it down.

Even if the archery season was still in, the deer usually don't appear until well after legal shooting hours.

I know that there is really nothing that can be done, any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Injured Deer

If you would call your local Conservation Agent and tell him yourstory I bet he would come out and see what he could do to either help the deer or put it out of its misery?Be sure to check with him first before taking matters into your own hands so you don't get into any trouble.My friend has an older Doe that visits his back yard and she is missing one of her back legs and she gets around and has had several Fawns over the past few years....he just can't put her down because she has managed to get along with her injury and still raise her young.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

The fact that it is in a subdivision makes it tough. This might be an unpopular opinion but where I live if I saw a deer that was in bad shape, out of season, I'd grab a rifle and put it down without a second thought. Usually coyotes take care of the hurt ones pretty quick though.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This late in the year, if it was from a bullet or arrow the thing will probly live. If it was hit by a car,, well I don't know use your better judgement and do what ever must get done.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Nature is cruel, if 'ending it's pain' is too much of a risk due to neighbors, there's not a whole lot that can be done...

I'd probably find a way to make it happen pretty quickly though.