Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trophy Hunting    "Do you do it" >

Trophy Hunting "Do you do it"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trophy Hunting "Do you do it"

Old 02-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Default RE: Trophy Hunting "Do you do it"

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: remington_girl

No, because its unethical and not true hunting. You kill only what you eat. Not for a head. Senseless killing gets right on my nerves.

However my first kill I would also take the head aswell as with themeatto symbolise my "first one"

There are many so called American "trophy hunters" that come to Scotland purely to get a big red stag and leave the meat. People like that should not come here if they're going to act like idiots and disgrace our hunting heritage.
I eat every deer I shoot. If it's a trophy buck or a doe. Your assumption that trophy hunters waste the meat is ignorant!
Shame on you for calling trophy hunters unethical.

If I ever come to Scotland to hunt I will plan to stay there until I comsume the entire stag. Maybe you can supply me with a place to stay while I accomplish this goal.
I concur ...

Tell me, if anyone knows...

how difficult is it to get the meat into the U.S. if it is killed out of the country.. I have always wondered that..
Fork Horn

No, because its unethical and not true hunting. You kill only what you eat. Not for a head. Senseless killing gets right on my nerves.
How is killing a "trophy" unethical? Define "true hunting". Trophy hunting is not senseless killing. It is not ONLY for a head mount. The meat isconsumed also.

There are many so called American "trophy hunters" that come to Scotland purely to get a big red stag and leave the meat. People like that should not come here if they're going to act like idiots and disgrace our hunting heritage.
I don't know for sure, but I suspect the meat is left for logistical reasons. And I also suspect that it is left for locals to consume, rather than simply wasted. If your game laws allow for NR hunters to kill an animal and waste the meat then that is a problem with the law, notjust withthe hunters. Labeling a group of people as idiots because you disagree with them seems pretty idiotic.

Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

However my first kill I would also take the head aswell as with themeatto symbolise my "first one"

I eat every deer I shoot. If it's a trophy buck or a doe. Your assumption that trophy hunters waste the meat is ignorant!
Shame on you for calling trophy hunters unethical.

If I ever come to Scotland to hunt I will plan to stay there until I comsume the entire stag. Maybe you can supply me with a place to stay while I accomplish this goal.
The majority of people who come here are ignorant and only want trophies. I have nothing to be shameful about.

Most places you go to actually prepare the meat for you but they never seem to want it and most stay for about 4 weeks.

To kill atrophy buck is fine but I hate to see the meat go to waste when there is fine meat there.

When I go to MS for 2 weeks I will eat what meat i can but when I have to return home I will give it to my extended family over there as good will.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Nope. Have not killed a trophy yet....
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the meat is left for logistical reasons. And I also suspect that it is left for locals to consume, rather than simply wasted. If your game laws allow for NR hunters to kill an animal and waste the meat then that is a problem with the law, notjust withthe hunters. Labeling a group of people as idiots because you disagree with them seems pretty idiotic.

Im not "idiotic" I have pleanty of education under me,im just telling how it is from experiance and things i've heard from game keepers who i keep friendly with. I understand that you cannot take meat home with you but leaving it with the locals is better than throwing it to the dogs. Like I said earlier i dont like waste.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM

Yes, I pass up several legal bucks each year with the hope of taking a nice buck.... I eat every deer I shoot. If I don't get the opportunity of a nice buck I get no buck.

I hunt a few states and, if I don't get my nice buck I will take a doe in the late season.

Been doing that for twenty years and hope to do it for another 20.....
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Im not "idiotic" I have pleanty of education under me,im just telling how it is from experiance and things i've heard from game keepers who i keep friendly with. I understand that you cannot take meat home with you but leaving it with the locals is better than throwing it to the dogs. Like I said earlier i dont like waste.
Like I said...if your game laws allow the meat to be wasted, that's a problem with your country's game laws, not with trophy hunters.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I consider myself a trophy hunter. I choose to hunt with a bowonly to make it more rewarding. I try to take whatare considered in the upper class as for as antlers. I will shoot a doe or two for meat. I will not shoot a small buck for meat leave him alone an let him grow.

With that said I consider a doe as a respectable trophy also just in another class.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

On a hunt, in camp it was funny, the guide said something I'm a meat hunter, I'm not a trophy hunter etc....and one of the hunters laughed and said, geez, I don't hunt for meat, I go to the grocer. I thought it was funny, to me there are 2 types of hunters, trophy, and meat, and the two do overlap somewhat at times.

If you simply out hunting to eat venision etc.....personally I feel its easy to just kill any deer, than it is to pick out a trophy buck to harvest. So to claim one is better than the other, and its usually the meat hunters claiming trophy hunters are real hunters to me is kinda ironic, since I believe trophy hunters probably spend more time in the woods hunting a particular deer, vs meat hunters who are just looking to harvest any deer. I think most trophy hunters, do eat their kill, and like an earlier post said, I also will pass up a small buck, i'm not going to mount it, I want to shoot a big buck, otherwise I just take a doe. I also won't eat 4 deer a year, so 1 or 2 is plenty for me.

Just thought I'd make that point that meat hunters take the higher road often in an argument and I feel its kinda held up on weak legs. I don't think one or the other is more morally correct than another. Maybe hunting for food alone is at the heart/basis for hunting. But if both guys eat their kill, there's no debating theyre both meat hunters, personally I just think trophy hunters work harder to get that trophy, they want both, a trophy for the wall, and some venison. I'm willing to bet everyone out there saw more does and small bucks than trophy bucks last year. I haven't been able to harvest a mature buck every year I've hunted, but I have been able to harvest a doe or small buck. Not saying one's easier to actually shoot, but certainly more opportunity than just waiting on a mature buck.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said...if your game laws allow the meat to be wasted, that's a problem with your country's game laws, not with trophy hunters.

And im sure theres also pleanty who waste meat on American soil too. And that is indeed their problem and they should be ashamed. I dont know many like that but the majority of Americans that I know all keep the meat frozen until consumption.

It is the same with me, when I go to MS I cannot take meat home with me. Its not game laws as such its DEfRA who make these rules to stop disease being passed from one country to the next.

Sarah.

Quick Reply: Trophy Hunting "Do you do it"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.