Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My thoughts on leasing >

My thoughts on leasing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My thoughts on leasing

Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

ORIGINAL: Germ

HCH this is 2008, not the 30's Do I want it the way it is? No, do I understand why the way it is, yes.
My replies are about cash, sure, but yours are always why am I not getting something for free I suggest you sell the pretty Harley that loses value the second you buy it and buy some land. Then you can let every Tom D!ck and Harry hunt on it, and just see how they "respect" your land when it's free. Look no further than how most treat public land.

Hunters abuse of farmers/Private ownersland has caused more non hunting signs than most think.
Actually Germ,

My family own's thousands of acres of land in Iowa, and we have never leased the land. We let locals hunt on it for free and they do give that land the utmost respect!! They bring us corn, meat, etc for this privilege and we feel it is our duty to share the land with our neighbors!
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Would that line work for you Huntingson, "Do you have any meth cookers you need taken off here."[8D]
LMAO

He strickly a cash crops guy
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thousands of acres of land in Iowa!! Damn, where were you folks when i was a poor student in Iowa City with no place to hunt[8D]
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think so many people are just missing it. The fact is, hunting is not what it was 20 years ago. Bill Jordan and his monster buck videos years ago has changed hunting forever. People now crave the booner, people are now more worried about how many inches a deer score instead of just being happy they are able to kill a deer. The Drury Brothers turned Pike County into what it is today. When they first start hunting Pike you could buy land all day for $800 an acres in Pike, Adams, Calhoun, now that same land (which most of is not farmable) goes for between $4,500 and $5,000 an acres. You cannot turn on a T.V show anymore and not see such and such county Illinois, or such and such county Iowa, or Kansas, Missouri. They are the ones the have drove the prices up and the local hunter out. I know some guys from Texas that come up to Illinois every year to hunt. They say they cannot afford to hunt in Texas anymore, so they come to Illinois and hunt public ground. Texas started, Drury brought Illinois into and every other state that has a good number of big deer has either followed or is starting to follow. You cannot blame the farmer for cashing in. That would be same and getting upset because some selling something you want to buy at a price you cannot afford. They own the land, simple, their rules. You cannot get upset at the local hunter who is just trying to hunt. I will tell you for a fact that public ground in Illinois is over ran, mostly with out-of-state hunters. They all seem to think that there is a 150" deer behind every tree. Yes, land owners are cashing in on this. Cannot blame them, cannot blame the local hunter who is just wanting to hunt. If you want to get upset at someone, blame yourself the next time you turn the T.V. on and watch the outdoors channel, blame the guy that is willing to fork over $5,000 to hunt for a week. This is why the land owners are able charge for hunting, this is why the price will continue to sky rocket. It is funny, I read posts on here all the time about someone going on an out-of-state hunt with an outfitter and don't ever hear anyone complain about that, but instead here people wish them luck, but then get upset when a guy is paying more that 1/2 what an outfitter will charge for week for hunting rights for the entire season. I don't hate the out-of-state hunter, I don't hate the outfitter. I understand exactly what it is. A guy wants a huge buck, he is willing to pay for it, an outfitter is willing to charge him for the chance, the outfitter needs land, the land owner has it. You just have to understand the rules of the game and be willing to play by them, or stop playing the game.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Hardcorehuntress

HCH this is 2008, not the 30's Do I want it the way it is? No, do I understand why the way it is, yes.
My replies are about cash, sure, but yours are always why am I not getting something for free I suggest you sell the pretty Harley that loses value the second you buy it and buy some land. Then you can let every Tom D!ck and Harry hunt on it, and just see how they "respect" your land when it's free. Look no further than how most treat public land.

Hunters abuse of farmers/Private ownersland has caused more non hunting signs than most think.
Actually Germ,

My family own's thousands of acres of land in Iowa, and we have never leased the land. We let locals hunt on it for free and they do give that land the utmost respect!! They bring us corn, meat, etc for this privilege and we feel it is our duty to share the land with our neighbors!
Great, it's why this is america, choice Some choose to be like your family, and some don't. The differnce is I do not beat up those who have a differnet view

Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually Germ,

So you let anyone that wants to hunt on your family's land on there? Wow, that certainly is the exception these days.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Actually Germ,

So you let anyone that wants to hunt on your family's land on there? Wow, that certainly is the exception these days.
I know it is. My dad is a rare breed, very generous.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are still people like that and that is great. However, people who have been lucky enough to run into that cannot be upset with those that have not been that lucky. I hunted a place for 6 years before I leased the first time. They guy turned down a ton of money from outfitters and other who wanted to lease his ground because he had given me his word that my boys and I could hunt it. He passed away, he land was sold, I had to start leasing. I guess it would have been better if I would have just sold my bow and quit hunting, at least according to some.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned

Actually Germ,

Great, it's why this is america, choice Some choose to be like your family, and some don't. The differnce is I do not beat up those who have a differnet view

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not from what I see. Quit it, my stomach is hurting from that most ridiculous funnystatement of the day.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

So when you lived in Iowa is this were you shot your deer and yote? If so there are some lucky locals in Iowa

Another way to help with the leasing issue is do what Iowa does. Limit out of state tags, the more tags for out of staters, the more outfitters. It truly is a money game.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on leasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.