Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My thoughts on leasing >

My thoughts on leasing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My thoughts on leasing

Old 02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

This dicussion has been hashed over before, and it will be hashed over again. In fact, in the last dicussion on this I became a little aggrivated, as I'm sure those whom I was arguing with did as well. I hope everything is patched up over that now. What it all comes down to is that those that are for leasing are going to come up with some great and valid reasons of why it is perfectly acceptable, and those that are against it are going to come with some great and valid reasons for why it is ruining the sport. My personal opinion is that leasing should have some competition to make land more accessible for those who cannot afford to pay leases. For example. excluding all landowners that are involved in government programs that are designed to bring land out of production from those programs, i.e. CRP program. To me if you are drawing tax dollars from a program and drawing dollars from leasing you are double dipping and it's not right. I am also for government leasing of private ground to make it accessible for hunters. Kind of like public ground without the huge land expense. I do think that out of state leasing is causing problems with the deer managment here in southern Illinois at least. Guys that drive hundreds of miles over here to their lease aren't going to be making that trip every weekend, and I'd bet they are not going to take a large amount of does due to the fact that you lease ground in Illinois to have a chance to take a large buck. This makes absolutly no sense to me when it comes to herd managment, but that is how it happens more often that not. I'm not looking to argue this again, mainly because I already have, and I don't want to take the chance of hurting some relationships that may be formed through this forum. I'm simply wanting to throw my two cents in.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The leasing land concept, makes me think of nobles and only the rich being able to hunt, sad to say thats the way its going in many parts, mostly the east from what I notice, I remember when I first found out that guys out west hunted public land!? I was floored, and most did it! Luckily there is still alot of public land out there, and now the problem is when more and more private is leased, and more and more guys want to hunt public land, is greater pressure, in which states will have to reduce tags, so more guys will be applying for quality permits to hunt public land. Therefore less hunting/often. We need to keep that land available, I encourage guys when applying fo rtags, they donate at least a buck to the funds they have set up. I wonder how many guys donate nothing? vs. a buck? vs. a good amount of cash? I suspect alot of guys think im either going to donate like $20 or $50 not just $1, but it adds up.

Its like anything in this country though, hunting land/animals are a resource, farmers etc...can make money off of, so why wouldn't they lease? I own a 100 acres and a guy wants to pay me $2-3000 to hunt it for a year? OK.

Also with more guys managing their land, now they want nobody on it, cept themselves and their leasers. I read how hunting use to be just go hunt, people didnt worry about fences,or who's property they shot an animal on, then fences became more defined say, and you had to ask permission, but were usually granted.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

South Dakota has a prety nice program in terms of leasing private land which is then left open for public access.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, isn't it terrible of those tyranical land owners to expect something in return for using their land for your enjoyment
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Yeah, isn't it terrible of those tyranical land owners to expect something in return for using their land for your enjoyment
I sure wish I could find a exterminater who was free I sure wishGM would just let me have a car, damn slave drivers
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I sure wish I could find a exterminater who was free I sure wishGM would just let me have a car, damn slave drivers
LOL!...Yeah, they make enough money!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, nobody said that life is fair. I sure wish that my tax money didn't go to pay subsidies to farmers, all of who seem to have nicer houses than me and drive better cars than me. [8D]
Old 02-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Well, nobody said that life is fair. I sure wish that my tax money didn't go to pay subsidies to farmers, all of who seem to have nicer houses than me and drive better cars than me. [8D]
Yeah eating's over rated.

Like many fields there are those who prosper and those who do not. A farmer of a small tract 100-500 acers are not doing well. These are the farms deer hunters hunt.

In 1960 a farmer could have hauled a load of beans in a truck. The money from the beans would have payed for a new grain truck.
I would rather give more subsidies to farmers than oil companies
Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I grew up around farmers and have never seen one miss a meal. I am all for them getting subsidies if they need it, but they no longer need subsidies if they can get regular supplemental income thru leasing. Leasing their land is their business, but when my taxes start going to fund funding double dipping it has just become my business.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I grew up around farmers and have never seen one miss a meal. I am all for them getting subsidies if they need it, but they no longer need subsidies if they can get regular supplemental income thru leasing. Leasing their land is their business, but when my taxes start going to fund funding double dipping it has just become my business.
I was talking about what the farmers do for us, LOL

Exactly how is it double dipping? They get $ for growing crops, those crops they get subsidies for. If someone is going to pay him 2000 grand to hunt HIS land, why should he not take it. It has nothing to do with farming, and I know this, because we farm

Quick Reply: My thoughts on leasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.