Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Oh My What Antler Restrictions can do.....PA bucks >

My Oh My What Antler Restrictions can do.....PA bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Oh My What Antler Restrictions can do.....PA bucks

Old 02-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Oh My What Antler Restrictions can do.....PA bucks

wish NY would have some sort of ARs. Perhaps they will migrate across the border like the cougars and coyotes
We do have them - voluntarily as they should be.
What NY needs to do is find a way to stop shooting some 30,000 button bucks every year.

Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 PM

now hold on a second. Those can't be PA bucks. According to the Unified Sportsmen of PA all the mountain lions and coyotes the game commission is bringing in for the insurance companies have killed all the deer off. LOL[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

What are Pennsylvania's antler restrictions? Can anyone summarize???
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

in pa. most wmu's are 4pts. a side, a few wmu's are 3 a side. it's working for the most part. alot of the bucks taken are bigger than in past years, but i'm still seeing alot of small 8-10 pts.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/browse.asp?a=519&bc=0&c=70134
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

While I am obviously in favor of the AR's, they would not ever be needed if it were for better hunter attitudes. Instead of the overwhelming focus on getting "your" buck, if hunters just went out and showed a little restraint, you'd have a much better age distribution of bucks, and more people would get chances to see some real nice ones.
Well said Rybo!!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 AM

they would not ever be needed if it were for better hunter attitudes.
Why do you presume that your attitude is "better"??

if hunters just went out and showed a little restraint, you'd have a much better age distribution of bucks, and more people would get chances to see some real nice ones.
Ryan,

You need to understand that many guys just don't carethat much........a deer is a deer.......a walking meat sack.......and they aren't gonna lose any sleep over what isor is not on it's head. They hunt for fun and some timeat camp withfriends and family........they aren't on a missionof antler pursuit. To some peoplea "real nice one"........is a dead one, nothing more and nothing less.

They don't throw people off golf courses for simply wanting to go beat the ball around with buddies and have a few pops in the sun.........even though the obsessive compulsive people who eat, sleep and crap golf look at "that way" of playing golf much the same way as what you describe. I know you think that everyone who shoots a small buck has no self control and then goes around complaining there are no big bucks around.........but it's simply not true. Some people don't NEED huge racked bucks to enjoy hunting...........some people need to accept that and move on to more important things in life..........instead of trying to legislate other people's definition of enjoyment to match their own.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

Get Michigan to do that...we'd all like to see some decent bucks running around...
I believe they tried in for 5 years in the U.P. in Michigan. I was voted down by a slim margin at the end of the 5 year test period.
You are correct. I was never so disgusted in my entire hunting life. The margin was 52% to 48%. There was one small section of one county that was actually doing the restriction as a test area, and the bucks from there were amazing. My best friend hunts that area, and they had never seen so many bucks, both numbers and size. Now, it is right back to where it used to be, and it took one year to undo all the good that was done in those 5 years of testing. I have written countless letters to the DNR, none returned. Very frustrating indeed. Way to go PA!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking bucks....if Illinois started something like that it would be great!
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: atlasman

they would not ever be needed if it were for better hunter attitudes.
Why do you presume that your attitude is "better"??

if hunters just went out and showed a little restraint, you'd have a much better age distribution of bucks, and more people would get chances to see some real nice ones.
Ryan,

You need to understand that many guys just don't carethat much........a deer is a deer.......a walking meat sack.......and they aren't gonna lose any sleep over what isor is not on it's head. They hunt for fun and some timeat camp withfriends and family........they aren't on a missionof antler pursuit. To some peoplea "real nice one"........is a dead one, nothing more and nothing less.

They don't throw people off golf courses for simply wanting to go beat the ball around with buddies and have a few pops in the sun.........even though the obsessive compulsive people who eat, sleep and crap golf look at "that way" of playing golf much the same way as what you describe. I know you think that everyone who shoots a small buck has no self control and then goes around complaining there are no big bucks around.........but it's simply not true. Some people don't NEED huge racked bucks to enjoy hunting...........some people need to accept that and move on to more important things in life..........instead of trying to legislate other people's definition of enjoyment to match their own.
Atlas,

In some cases what I high lighted thats very true, not untrue!! I don't think Ryan is implementing that everyone has to pass on the little guys. What I think he's trying to say is some of the ones who are complaining about it are the ones who most likely are doing the damage. Practice what you preach folks if you want big bucks! If you want bigger bucks ya gotta hold out for them and let the little guys go! Not every hunter is after the big racks, nothing wrong with that at all. That same hunter better not complain though about the quality of his or her bucks which in some cases they do, I've seen it myself with my neighboring land owners!! Drives me nuts!! Everyone should do what makes them happy.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Now we all know that antler restrictions don't work,that eventually their will be high grading! Now what position has PA climbed to in the most recent Pope&Young state rankings? I hope Gary Alt is laughing his butt off!
Pa is now 7th in Pope and Young

Quick Reply: My Oh My What Antler Restrictions can do.....PA bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.