HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   field vs broadhead (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/234414-field-vs-broadhead.html)

trailinone 02-25-2008 06:55 AM

field vs broadhead

As some of you know, I started shooting my new Black Ice a few weeks ago. I am grouping pretty consistantly 2-3 inches at 30 yrds. I am pretty happy with that. Still plenty of time to conquere the 40 yrd mark before deer season. Yesterday I shot my Thunderheads and am completely confused. The only thing consistent with my broadheads was that none were grouped. Any suggestions, where to start looking for the problem. I call myself having the arrows tuned, blades inline with vanes. Any suggestions would be helpful
thanks
chris

Vabowman 02-25-2008 07:02 AM

RE: field vs broadhead

What type of BH are shooting? Fixed blade or mech?

trailinone 02-25-2008 07:06 AM

Fixed blade, Thunderhead 100 grain.
chris

Vabowman 02-25-2008 07:25 AM

From my own experience, my BH do not fly anything like my field points. You may just have to resight everything in when it gets closer to hunting season. Frankly, i don't even shoot fp anymore.

NEW61375 02-25-2008 07:33 AM

Have you paper tuned the bow with field points?

Also I wouldn't even worry about the distances yet, get the bow tuned and then if you are still having broadhead problems you might want to try a few different broadheads,I know that can get expensive but off a tuned bow with a good arrow yourfield points and broadheads should be shooting very, very close, even out to 40-50 yards and farther.

I do know some guys like VA who don't even worry about fieldpoints and sight thier bows in with BH's. But if you are not getting any consistency and no grouping with your BH's, that to me indicates a tuning problem.

Vabowman 02-25-2008 07:38 AM

Yeh, try paper tuning with fp .

Howler 02-25-2008 08:10 AM

Also I wouldn't even worry about the distances yet, get the bow tuned and then if you are still having broadhead problems you might want to try a few different broadheads,I know that can get expensive but off a tuned bow with a good arrow yourfield points and broadheads should be shooting very, very close, even out to 40-50 yards and farther.

I do know some guys like VA who don't even worry about fieldpoints and sight thier bows in with BH's. But if you are not getting any consistency and no grouping with your BH's, that to me indicates a tuning problem
Exactly.

trailinone 02-25-2008 09:42 AM

I will try paper tuning again when I can. Hopefully that will give me some clarity. I had it papertuned before I left the shop with it, but I did make some adjustments later. Thanks, any other input is appreciated.
chris

virginiashadow 02-25-2008 11:23 AM

Are your vanes offset right? Are they straight? How long are your vanes? That could be an issue to look into. A fixed blade BH with shorter vanes may be causing your arrows to loose alot of accuracy. How heavy are your arrows?

MeanV2 02-25-2008 11:52 AM

Some broadheads are easier to get field point flight out of than others, but with a little work it is easily accomplished. Make sure all broaheads spin true, length of arrows? poundage of bow? model of bow? spine of arrows? FOC of your arrows? Have you walk back tuned and/or bare shaft tuned? These thing might help others give you some answers to your questions.

Dan