Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many of you have teenage sons that don't hunt? >

How many of you have teenage sons that don't hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you have teenage sons that don't hunt?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM

Default RE: How many of you have teenage sons that don't hunt?

I have two daughters that I introduced to the sport. They saw how much I was into it when they were little, and I took them out a few times. It was exciting and fun, but I never pushed it and it never took hold for them. Our family broke up when they were 10 - 11 or so, that probably sealed the deal.

When I was little I was just ate up with it. Tag along with my dad on small game hunts as early as I can remember. Deer hunting, I just couldn't wait for him to get home. When I was 10 - 11, he'd take me along on thanksgiving morning. It just killed me to wait until I was 12 so I could go for real. There was never any question for me, I was into it real early. It's hard to understand, but it ain't that way for everybody.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Preface
I started going hunting with my grandfather and uncle at age 8 and hunting has been my favorite activity ever since. However, my cousin never really enjoyed it, but his dad would make him go all the time which even turned him against it even more.

Because of this, at an early age, I vowed that when I had kids I would never make, coerce, or pressurethem do any activity with me on a regular basis (just expose them to it and then let them make their own decisions)

I started taking my son hunting at 8 at let him carry a gun on a limited basis at the age of 10. He liked it when he was really young and I limited the number of hunts to3 or 4 a year so as to not burn him out. He has killed multiple deer, turkey, quail, and pheasants.

As he has gotten older, he has preferred to go less and less although I always INVITE him as I go hunting at least 1 day almost every weekend during a 4 month season. He is now about to turn 15and he has only hunted 1 day each of the last two seasons. He is more into sports, girls and friends.

We have a very good relationship andI am very involved in his baseball and snowboarding and I couldn't be more proud of him as he makesstraight A'sand is a hardworking and caring young man.

I am proud he iscomfortable telling me he just doesn't enjoy hunting that much. So I am not troubled by this at all, just curious if this is a common occurence or if he is the exception.

same thing with me to but im still sixteen and have hunted for only 8 yrs..... i am dedicated to huntin ,but girls, sports ,friends are there too hunting is just more important...i got plenty of patience when it comes to hunting just not enough to stay on for more than 4 hrs
Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our youngest son used to participate in 3D archery with us and Muzzleloader Deer Season but as he grew older he seemed to lose interest in shooting and hunting.

I miss spending the time with him in the outdoors and hunting together,But I still ask him all the time if he wants to join me in the woods or hunting.
While this broke my heart, I never let him know this,I didnt want him to feel any pressure or feel like he had to keep doing it to please me or his father.
He is now going or 19 and is very supportive of his father and myself in our archery and bowhunting pursuits but he has his own life to live with his own interests and we support him equally.He still does love to fish though

I feel comforted by the fact that I know we planted the Seed....... and that if he has the desire to some day return to shooting or hunting he will have all of our 100% support.

And Hopefully I will get Grandkids, To take into the great outdoors and hunting

Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 AM

I'm 17 and i have been hunting since I was 10. I have a younger brother that's 11 andI have been getting him into hunting lately, he wants a bow for his birthday so I think Im going to go with him to go pick out a bow.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:02 AM

nope i am a teenson and i do hunt 15 turning 16 and am alreadybord out of my mind waitong for hunting season to come back in i live in va. and season went out less than 2 mo. ago
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

No kids or anything but this story relates.

As most know, I am a hunting fool. Live & breath the outsdoors, hunting & fishing. My brother who had the same upbringing, we were close in age & everything...could care less. Tried it a few times, even killed a deer. Has no desire to ever do so again. I firmly believe it is just "IN" some people. My sister came along several years after my brother & I, & she fishes. Has showed some interest in hunting but kind of took the more girly route(even though she's not that girly). BUt at least she fishes.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

My son will be 20 in 6 weeks. He's a very good hunter and has killed at least 6 deer and some turkeys. He called a 125 gross 3 1/2 8 pointer away from a doe and killed it! However, at his stage of life, he finds girls and football to be more important.[&o]I ask him to go all the time and one of these times I know he'll get back into it. I don't make a big deal out of it, it's his choice. I miss having him hunt with me, but I think he'll come around once he gets his priorities straight!! [:-]

I like the look on his face when he comes to help me drag one out........... it says....Damn, I should be doing that.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:40 PM

im a teen myself. i on the other hand dont waste my time siting at home doing nothing. never once would i miss s weekend to go hunting i could be running a fever but that ant gonna stop me. and i am the one that got my dad interested in going bow hunting. i have always loved the sport and will continue to do so
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son wants to hunt. He is 14.He lives8 hrs. away from me.My ex. is doing everything she can to stop him. She didn't help him get his hunters safety cert. Then this thanksgiving she refused visitation. She knew we planned to do a hunt together. My daughter is 17 and lives with me becauseher mother kicked her out. She rifle hunts with me.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t have kids yet but like many of the others I didn’t hunt as much in my late teens and early 20’s. But once I got married and settled into a job, I’ve been hunting with a vengeance again ever since. Now 30, I look back on those hunts with my dad as some of my fondest memories of us together growing up.

If it’s in your blood, that desire comes back to the surface…

Quick Reply: How many of you have teenage sons that don't hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.