Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunter safety system >

hunter safety system

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunter safety system

Old 02-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default hunter safety system

hey guy i'm looking to purchase the hunter safety system vests from cabelas but they have ones ranging from 79.99 to 139.99 ...what are the difference between all of these harnesses ...and how many of you have had good experiences with them.. please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of using one as opposed to my harness that came with the treestand...
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunter safety system

CONS = They are heavier than your harness and they are hotter. I have the pro (mesh), I use it in the cooler months though. The strap that goes around the tree is a little aggravating, so i modified mine and use a summit rope (much easier).

PROS = They have little pockets on them and they are pretty easy to put on. Also they have a deer drag which is pretty handy, I had my climber on my back, gun in my hand, and deer on the drag all at one time. In cooler weather that provide a little extra insulation.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 AM

If you purchase one get the Pro Mesh one. It is a bit lighter than the reversable one I own. I also didn't care for the attachment system to the tree so I used the same system as summit uses with their harnesses. A rope with a prusic knot and a carabiner to attach to the prusic knot. A much better system IMHO. But it is a great harness for ease of getting on and off, and if you need to drag a deer and the little pockets are very handy. I know some guys complain about leg pinch from the leg straps if you would fall but IMHO it is better to get some pinching and slight bruising than to end up with broken bones or worse dead.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

If you purchase one get the Pro Mesh one. It is a bit lighter than the reversable one I own. I also didn't care for the attachment system to the tree so I used the same system as summit uses with their harnesses. A rope with a prusic knot and a carabiner to attach to the prusic knot. A much better system IMHO. But it is a great harness for ease of getting on and off, and if you need to drag a deer and the little pockets are very handy. I know some guys complain about leg pinch from the leg straps if you would fall but IMHO it is better to get some pinching and slight bruising than to end up with broken bones or worse dead.

I also switched to the summit style rope, it allows me to go up and down the tree while still harnessed to it. I wear mine under my hunting clothes, after 10min I don't even know its on.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: rustynut

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

I also switched to the summit style rope, it allows me to go up and down the tree while still harnessed to it. I wear mine under my hunting clothes, after 10min I don't even know its on.

Agreed Rustynut. I run a climbing rope from the base of my tree to above my fixed position stands with a prusic knot on it so I can be attached from the moment I leave the ground all the way up the tree and into the stand. That way there is no hooking and unhooking.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM

i own the hunter safety system tree stalker harness it is shorter than the pro series & less pockets i like it very much. i bought it at bps on sale for about $65.00 about a year & a half ago. i hade a problem with one of the leg strap buckles buckle broke & wouldnt latch, it was out of warrenty i called hss they said they would repair it if i sent it in to them instead i took it back to bps & they exchanged it . the newre one has a deer drag