Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 boy some bow hunters just make me sick >

boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: boy some bow hunters just make me sick

ORIGINAL: dmen

the response that rifle season is a slaughter is laughable. I enjoy bowhunting much more than rifle season but if you call rifle season a slaughter I invite you to try in Maine. Rut or no rut, the success rate is 20% of licensed hunters tag a deerand our rifle seasons runs for 4 weeks from the very end of October thru thanksgiving.The reason I bowhunt is like one person mentioned to expand my time in the field,and I happen to have fell head over heels for bowhunting, but I have no problem sharing the woods for the 4 week rifle season, I have 4 weeks prior to rifle season to own the woods.
In (ec)MN it IS slaughter. Rifle season 2 weeks in my area during heavy rut. Most people who rifle hunt around where I do are weekend warriors and will shoot anything and everything.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dmen

the response that rifle season is a slaughter is laughable. I enjoy bowhunting much more than rifle season but if you call rifle season a slaughter I invite you to try in Maine. Rut or no rut, the success rate is 20% of licensed hunters tag a deerand our rifle seasons runs for 4 weeks from the very end of October thru thanksgiving.The reason I bowhunt is like one person mentioned to expand my time in the field,and I happen to have fell head over heels for bowhunting, but I have no problem sharing the woods for the 4 week rifle season, I have 4 weeks prior to rifle season to own the woods.
It's all about location
Maine is 5 deer per Square Mile correct?

Some areas in MI are like 70+ deer per SQM, that is why each state has it's own DNR

Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think season dates(where I hunt anyway NC/VA) are set not based on the rut but more on the calendar and fitting all the seasons in. I personally don't care about the dates of the seasons(mainly because I doubt theyare changing)but Iwould like to see both states reduce the # of buck tags issued and implement some kind of earn a buck tag for every buck other than the first one. Our buck/doe ratio is out of whack in both states it seems like there are some relatively simple solutions that could at least get us headed in the right direction.

The season dates annoy me a little because I don't really want to bow/bp hunt in the heat of September(NC) and in VA two of the counties I hunt inhave aGeneral Firearm season comes inOct. 1 which isbefore primitive weapons which comes in Dec. and runs through the 1st week of Jan. Which basically means I have to bowhunt spooky deer in the late season. For some reason I think the season dates are the least likey to get changed of all of the regs though.

Another reason gun hunters get the "more prime" time is probably due to the fact that there are way more gun hunters/harvest than bow/bp and they need the gun hunters to do most of the herd reduction, from anumbers standpoint. As far as protecting bucks Ilike the earn a buck system and reducing buck tags issued while increasing antlerless tags. I'm not a huge fan of antler restrictionsonly because I know many people that don't hunt forheadgear alone.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Yes our deer per square mile is low in maine, I guess I need to put comments in context of where that particular person lives. My bad
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd be more happy if they made the slaughter a "little" tougher on gun hunters.

IMO.....I want gun hunters to have their fair share of time in the woods hunting. I just don't see why that has to be in the rut.....when bucks are at their most vulnerable.

I want NOTHING taken away from gun hunters. Give them their weeks afield. Good luck to them.

Answer me this.......you live in NC....where you can basically kill ALL the does you want to. But.....Rifle season starts when the rut starts. WHY woud you waste your time on a doe.....when it's the BEST time to kill a buck?

It's no wonder there are more bucks killed in NC than does. This isn't rocket science.
I agree. Gun hunters decimate the population here. I think they should shorten the gun season to 1 week and make it shotgun, no rifles. Look what it has done for Ohio and Illinois.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]
A "WEEK" of nohunting during the rut are you nuts.I save vacation time just for this period.I do agree with a early doe only season. The 15 day gun season is a lot better then most states,plus almost three weeks of muzzleloadingprovides a lot of opportunity to take a good buck.Don't forget about the late doe season,about another 3 weeks. I'm not sure they can walk anymore than that. J/K
[/blockquote]
Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

I try to hunt every day posisble with what ever legal means possible..Bow. Muzzleloader & shotgun.. If a gun hunter wants a better oppurtunity with more days a field... pick up a bow and take advantage...
Old 02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mid November, I believe. I think we're 2 weeks ahead of the Eastern side of the state.
Where I hunt in the Eastern side (Gates, Currituck) the seasons came in like this:

Eastern Deer Season
Bow and Arrow: Sept. 8 – Oct. 5
Muzzleloading: Oct. 6 – 12
Gun: Oct. 13 – Jan. 1

Notice how long the gun season is, I definitely don't like the way these seasons are set up but I am guessing it has to do with needing to kill X amount of deer every season and this is the only way the feel they can. Just a guess, but I'm sure you know it is hot as hades in September.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

I'd be more happy if they made the slaughter a "little" tougher on gun hunters.

IMO.....I want gun hunters to have their fair share of time in the woods hunting. I just don't see why that has to be in the rut.....when bucks are at their most vulnerable.

I want NOTHING taken away from gun hunters. Give them their weeks afield. Good luck to them.

Answer me this.......you live in NC....where you can basically kill ALL the does you want to. But.....Rifle season starts when the rut starts. WHY woud you waste your time on a doe.....when it's the BEST time to kill a buck?

It's no wonder there are more bucks killed in NC than does. This isn't rocket science.
I agree. Gun hunters decimate the population here. I think they should shorten the gun season to 1 week and make it shotgun, no rifles. Look what it has done for Ohio and Illinois.
Hi LKNCHOPPERS,
What has it done? Allowed for more big trophy bucks? So? If that's all you hunt for i guess it matters but although i bow hunt i like to get out and hunt with my rifle. So shorten rifle season to 1 week just so someone else who doesn't want to rifle hunt can find more trophy bucks?
Although i wouldn't pass up a big buck, it's not why i like to get out there and hunt.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Here are the season dates for NC, can you imagine the hunter outcry if you reduced the gun season to 1 week, are the deer in your area really being decimated? Last time I checked the stats on both VA an NC they were experiencing record population #'s and harvest #'s. Who will kill all of the deer if it were switched to a 1 week gun season? Not trying to be argumentative just curious.
Eastern Deer Season
Bow and Arrow: Sept. 8 – Oct. 5
Muzzleloading: Oct. 6 – 12
Gun: Oct. 13 – Jan. 1
Central Deer Season
Bow and Arrow: Sept. 8 – Nov. 2
Muzzleloading: Nov. 3 – 9
Gun: Nov. 10 – Jan. 1
Northwestern Deer Season
Bow and Arrow: Sept. 8 – Nov. 9
Muzzleloading: Nov. 10 – 16
Gun: Nov. 17 – Dec. 15
Western Deer Season
Bow and Arrow: Sept. 10 – Oct. 6
and Oct. 15 – Nov. 17
Muzzleloading: Oct. 8 - 13
Gun: Nov. 19 – Dec. 8

Quick Reply: boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.