Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 boy some bow hunters just make me sick >

boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

boy some bow hunters just make me sick

Old 02-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: boy some bow hunters just make me sick

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd be more happy if they made the slaughter a "little" tougher on gun hunters.

IMO.....I want gun hunters to have their fair share of time in the woods hunting. I just don't see why that has to be in the rut.....when bucks are at their most vulnerable.

It is simple population controll,atleast that is the reason for it in Ky.Bowhunters do very little to controll the population but gunhunters do a great deal to controll it and it needs to be during the rut to be effective.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:53 PM

Here in Missouri we are looking at an across the board 4 point on at least one side restriction and possabilya one buck per year limit.
Moving our anterless rifle season to early Oct., like the first weekend of the month.
Moving the start of rifle season to the Sat. beforeThanksgiving so it catches the tail end of the rut.
And moving themuzzel loader season to later in Dec.
Bow season will still be open from Sept.15th - Jan. 15th, except during the 10 days of rifle season, when you can still bow hunt but you have to have a rifle tag.
Youth rifle season will still be the last weekend of Oct.

Thiswill help protect younger bucks, andharvest more does. But, more importantlyhaving the rifle seasonduring Thanksgiving break will give kids 2 or 3 more days to hunt with out skipping school and we need all the kids hunting we can get. Also, as a teacher and coach it will let me use my vacation daysto bow hunt during the best part of the rut.

As for a week of no hunting during the rut to protect mature bucks, thats crazy. Killing mature bucks is the #1 goal of most serious hunters. I'm not saying it's the only reason we hunt or even the most important. I'm just saying, most hunters want to know there's at least a reasonable chance of killing a mature buck or were gonna lose a lot of enthusiasm, and eventually a lot of hunters and would be hunters.

P.S. Every state should allow rifles for deer gun season, specifically the .30-06!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

ORIGINAL: Hunter Dan7

Gunners get to uses guns that can shoot a really long ways witch makes it easyier so why do they get a time of year when the deer are the dumbest. i dont dissagree with gun hunting but i dont think it needs to be during the rut. its just to easy. i gun hunt to but what im saying is that I shot a nice 8 point this year at 7 YARDS, Way to easy.
And 7 yards with a bow is a hard shot? I've bowhunted for 21 years, gun hunted 22 years and I still don't see the reason for the big divide. I enjoy both and will continue to use both. As far as gun season hunters killing more bucks, I've always thought it had alotto do with the fact everyone and their brother is in the woods....getting the deer moving.[&:]
BBM .... Amen!

I have a novel idea .....are ya all sittin' down??? Howzabout we all make the best with the hunting situation we have, and just have a great time doing it? Outside of a vehicle, I love killing deer ...I love killing them with a shotgun, bow, muzzleloader, and a spear, if they ever opened up a season ..... prejudices run rampant with people ..... hunters as well .... some of you that have deer around every corner, gun season would be a slaughter ....so bow hunt only, and realize it's all relative...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Minnesota needs to get rid of party hunting to see more bucks. Party hunting is a joke !! How many hunters are whacking numerous buck that would have made it otherwise.

ND has rifle season during rut and we are seeing more mature bucks. ND has a limit on how many bucks can be shot though. In order to get more mature bucks... limits need to be set on buck tags given out!! Seems so simple but the same guys complain about not seeing "big " bucks would cry if they had to go with out a buck tag once in a while. We are our own worst enemy.

Each state is different with differenthunting seasons going on. Germs idea of an early doe season for rifle would not work here. What works for one doesn't work for all. While the DNR needs the all mighty dollar... if you think that is the basis forhow they go aboutmanaging deer, geez get a clue.

Bottom line...The DNR has to firstmanage the hunters so they can manage the deer population. They need the rifles to get it done.

One other thing. The guys that think Iowa, Illinios and etc are so great. Ask joe public how easy it is to get access to hunt their big bucks. Hell of a lot good it does to become a big buck state if you can't get access to where the big bucks are. That what I hope for here... wall to wall guiding outfits, outragous lease prices and hunting over crowded public land. Becareful for what you wish for.

Tim
Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gunners get to uses guns that can shoot a really long ways witch makes it easyier so why do they get a time of year when the deer are the dumbest. i dont dissagree with gun hunting but i dont think it needs to be during the rut. its just to easy. i gun hunt to but what im saying is that I shot a nice 8 point this year at 7 YARDS, Way to easy.
So your pretty much sayin that you can go out every time with a gun and get a deer? Thats what it sounds like your sayin. Even if your hunting with a gun it's not "way to easy". If it was that easy everybody would shoot a a big buck everytime they went out.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunters Rule.. Gunhunters Drool...
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM

LOL elitism in its purist form. People advocating stripping the rights of gun hunters during rut, but not one of you (except germ) mentioned no bowhunting during this time. Gun hunting = easy.......bull. I dont buy it for a second, yea you can shoot farther, if you have the skill to do so.

Why is it that gun hunters are looked at as less of hunters or less passionate because their weapon is more efficient? I cant for the life of me understand this. I dont here Schultzy and all the trad guys bitching and moaning about compound hunters getting too long of a season.

Gun hunters get two weeks here, bow hunters get 4.5 MONTHS. IMO the playing field is already leveled. I used to be one whining about rifle season being in rut, but then i realized that rifle hunters are hunters too.Heck i rifle hunt.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: MOhunter46

So your pretty much sayin that you can go out every time with a gun and get a deer? Thats what it sounds like your sayin. Even if your hunting with a gun it's not "way to easy". If it was that easy everybody would shoot a a big buck everytime they went out.
I dident say you could get adeer EVERY time i just said that it is too easy to shoot a DEER and i sures the hell dident say a buck, thats just what happened to stop at 7 Yards. What i said was, that if you do see a DEER (BUCKOR DOE) it would be way to easy cuz you can shoot them a long ways away. I took out my muzzle loader and about 100 yards away as i was walking out 5 DEER ran into the woods and one came back out, i raised my gun and shot her. Could you do that with a bow. Dident think so. All i said was that if you dont challenge yourself to get the deer closer or to shoot Mature DEER only then how hard can it be!!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

We are blessed with a long season and plenty of deer here in NC...Plenty for all...Sometimes I think they should just open the season about the 2nd week in September and run it through January 15th or so...

Use any weapon you want, 2 buck limit, 8-10 doe limit, and be done with it...
What difference does it make how that deer is harvested???

We raise corn, soybeans, wheat and peanuts, I love to bow hunt, but we also have learned through the years that we need to kill 40-50 deer on our farms each year to keep the population under control....Some of my cousins/neices/nephews don't bow hunt....The future of hunting lies with our youth, why in the world would you want to give these kids a shorter season???? They have plenty of other distractions in their lives....I don't restrict the kids as to how big a buck they should target, doesn't matter, they eat beans too.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.