Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Follow up shot thread......got me thinking. >

Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

1. How many deer have you taken with bow/arrow - 14

2. How manyof those either "reuired" or were you able to get a follow up shot on? - 4

3. What's the most number of follow up shots you've gotten on a deer.....and how many times? - 4 shots (2X ...3 hits, each time); 3 shots (2X.....3 hits, each time). ALL animals dead in less than 20 seconds.

I wonder if they're (follow up shots) that unusual. That's why I'm posting this. I shoot until they're out of range or still (dead).
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

There have been 3 or 4 times where I've had to shoot deer again, all of them spine shots. All of them (exept one) clusterf__cks. The one that turned out ok, I waited about 15 minutes, detemined that the deer was not going to die soon, got down and walked up on it and shot it through the lungs. My rule of thumb now is to advance on a deer that is down in almost all situations.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I spine shot a doe almost straight down when I was very young, that won't happen again.

Two poorly executed follow up shots ended the fiasco,one of the lowest moments in my hunting career.[:@]

They deserve better.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know the actual numbers but of the deer I have hit well I can't remember any that stuck around for a second shot. However in the past few seasons I have had two spine shot deer that I did have to finish off with follow up shots. One of those deeris the reason I now carry more arrows, long story but short version = I had 4 arrows, Arrow 1 hit spine, Arrow 2 missed flailing deer on ground, Arrow 3 I accidently touched my trigger as I was just beginning to draw and it shot about 20 ft in a nice little rainbow arc, Arrow 4 I finally regained my composure and double lunged the buck. Total time was about 1 minute and had I screwed up the last shot I would have had to climb down in my climber and either recover an arrow to finish himor dispatch the deer with my knife, either way I felt that was too much time andIwas a little unprepared that day, lesson learned. I truly believed I wouldnever need that many arrows in the woodsuntil that evening.

LOL that was my "short" version.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Jim.....I've spine shot 3 out of 14. In each instance.....the deer was DEAD in 20 seconds or less. Now....I agree that we should all strive to make boiler room kill shots.....and you KNOW I'm trying to do better (shortening effective range).

But....I'm not sure the rest of my kills were dead in 20 seconds. I know some were. Some I don't know.

I'm not "proud" of any of them. But they happened. I will agree with you that they DO leave you feeling "low". No contest.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really think most people have very little understanding of just how quickly a sharp broad head properly placed kills a deer.
I do not use one of the super bows or mechanical broad heads favored by many now of days.
And of the last ten bucks I've shot I have watched them all die within 50 yards of my stand.I have hit bucks through the lungs that never knew any thing happened to them ,they walk twenty yards ,wag their tail a couple of times and fall over,and I have shot through shoulder bones and had deer panic run 40 - 50 yards and die in mid stride. Todays tools of our trade are very effective in the right hands and whenproperly used.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

With last year being my first year bowhunting, I've only taken 4 deer. Of those, only onecould have really used a follow up shot. I totally botched the shot (used the wrong pin at close yardage on a quartering away shot) and the arrow went through the neck and cut the arteries. She dropped, then got back up and fell 15 yards away. By the time I fumbled an arrow out of my quiver which was hanging on my stand, she had looked up, busted me,got up and stumbled outof range in a hurry.If I'd had another arrow in an easy access position, I could have easily taken another shot and ended it.
I still recovered the deer, but it was a 300 yard track. It was an easy track, but still a long one. My brother and I couldn't believe she made it thatfar.
I learned an important lesson that day.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a rifle hunter turned bow hunter. I have shot very few animals with my bow.
1-whitetail
2-mule deer
2-elk
1-antelope

I have only taken a follow up shot on the 5x5-bull elk. All other animals ran into cover & died right away.
I should also add that I shoot until the animal is dead with a rifle or bow. I have watched animals get away, on what looked like a good shot with a rifle.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over 5 years I've taken 5 deer with a bow, single shots on all. Two were spine shots that expired before I could get out of my stand and to them, the other 3 didn't stick around for another shot attempt.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spined one buck but he wasnt going anywhere so I didn't shoot again. My advice is to shoot until the animal is dead. gun or bow. How many stories have you heard over the years about people losing a deer to another hunter because the deer traveled far enough to get to someone else? I hunt the north country and I will tell you that those deer are BIG AND TOUGH! I shot a buck 3 times-broadside, straight on , and quarting away. he was still alive when I got to him and he got up and ran away! He went another 50 yards before going down again. That was with a 30-06, 150 gr. bullets. I double lunged a buck with my bow and thought he would not go far. He went about 300 yards and we had to do a tough track job to get him. IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER SHOT TAKE IT!

Quick Reply: Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.