Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Follow up shot thread......got me thinking. >

Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Follow up shot thread......got me thinking.

1. How many deer have you taken with bow/arrow -54

2. How manyof those either "reuired" or were you able to get a follow up shot on? - 0

3. What's the most number of follow up shots you've gotten on a deer.....and how many times?0
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because I never had a follow up shot EVER.. I have to believe they are fables.. myth.. like Bigfoot and "Nessy".

The only follow up shot I believe in is in the game of Basketball.[8D]
Old 02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Duke notice all my zero's, LOL
After I fling an arrow the run, unless I hit a tree[&:]
Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I've taken 43 animals with the bow in 23 seasons. (I lose track because there are years I hunted 3 and 4 states)

Anyway in all that time I've only shot multiple times at an animal twice. Most get out of Dodge pretty quickly and are dead on their feet anyway.
I shot one doe twice because she ducked a bit at the shot and I took her just under the spine. She was bleeding hard due to an artery hit after the arrow passed through but she bolted only to come back and stand 10 yards next to my tree. The 2nd shot anchored her right there. 10-12 seconds tops.

The only other was my 06' Antelope.He was really twitchy at the waterhole and Imade a bad hit in the stomach and actually followed up with 2 more shots, 1 was a miss at 63 yards right after the first shot, and the other was a perfect double lung shot at 37 yards in his bed.

So in 23 seasons of bowhunting I've only shot multiple arrows at one animal TWICE.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed 17 deer, with a bow and arrow, only 1 required a follow up shot, and that was really unnecessary, but hastened the dying process as I'd lodged a Spitfire in his spine on an upward angle, tearing up the near side lung. I think part of the reason that guys often times SPINE deer is because of the way 3D target are "zoned" and scored. I know that most of you guys who shoot 3D have probably shot 100 3D targets to each live animal they shot, or likely more. That is part of the problem when shooting 3D a LOT, you start aiming for the 10 or 11 spot, which on a LOT of targets is right about where a spine hit is going to be, especially if a deer jumps string at all. Just my opinion, but I know at least a few guys who've fallen into that trap because they shot 3D all summer so when it came to that first deer of the season, they left that arrow hang a little high.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

38 bowkills
8 spine shots,6 of which got quick follow ups. One was dead before I got another arrow nocked, and the other I was young and just slit its throat.

3 deer I've followed blood trails to a still living deer and administered follow ups.

My 1st spine shot deer ended up a pin cushion.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

1.Closing in on 2 dozen deer and 1 turkey with a bow. 2.2 and it's my best buck to date.The miss was at 22 yds and the second shot was about 15yds.The second was this year,I spined a doe and got down to finish her off.I think it was worth another arrow.I do believe in flukes now.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

38 bowkills
8 spine shots,6 of which got quick follow ups. One was dead before I got another arrow nocked, and the other I was young and just slit its throat.

3 deer I've followed blood trails to a still living deer and administered follow ups.

My 1st spine shot deer ended up a pin cushion.
Thanks for that post Rybo. Things happen. I'm trying to make all my shots "perfect".....but it's a process.

Thanks for the honest post (and everyone else, too)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. How many deer have you taken with bow/arrow - 35 I think

2. How manyof those either "reuired" or were you able to get a follow up shot on? - 2

3. What's the most number of follow up shots you've gotten on a deer.....and how many times? - 3 on one and 2 on the other. Both were hit far back in the guts. I let them sit all day and went out in the afternoon to track them. I found one bedded in a fallen treetop and finished her off with another arrow. The second was bedded but offered a poor shot but I figured another arrow would help. She jumped up and walked off a little waysand the third arrow put her down for good..