Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Oh I felt bad for the poor fella..... >

Oh I felt bad for the poor fella.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oh I felt bad for the poor fella.....

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oh I felt bad for the poor fella.....

I would have apologized to him for putting the mount so low on the wall.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

Hey guys, Sorry to get back so late to this post, this is first time today at school I had a chance to jump in here....

LMAO you guys are funny! and some of you have me almost pegged to a T in my reaction and response....

Heres how it played out....

SLOW MOTION .... " I watch the "stretch" buck (this years kill) do about 3 or 4 barrel rolls through the air as the Direct TV man ducks for his LIFE! He acted like a bear was attacking him!

Ever felt helpless....? thats how I felt as I stood there 10 feet away watching this buck take a nose dive for my concrete floor! I think my JAW hit the floorbefore the buck did... THEN That horrible sound of TINES Breaking and cracking on concrete as the mounted BOUNCED off the ground a few times like a fish out of water....before finally resting to a stop...

Immediately the Direct TV guy looks at me with a HUGE panic look on his face...and SAYS.. OH MAN I am so SORRY.... meaqwhile I am visually trying to locate all the pieces of antler scattered on my floor..... I dont say a word.. I grab the mount, pick it up and lay it on the couch.. checking the ears first and then the tines... I rest a pillow under its chin and prop it up.. Mr Direct TV man is apologizing and immediatley looks at me and says... I will pay for what ever it takes to fix it.. I am so... SORRY he says over and over...

I can see some serious stress on this poor guys face... So I look at him and say... "Oh man, this buck is gonna have to go see the doctor." I gather my thoughts and am feeling really bad for this guy..(He had only been in my basement for about 30 seconds before he busted this buck off the wall) I say,
Yeah this is probably gonna take some work..." Then I thank him for offereing to take care of it...

I can see he is so stressed and his body language tells me he wants to crawl in a hole and leave...

He still has a full install to do for me.. so I think about it for about 10 seconds and I say...

"Hey bud, it was an accident... I dont want you to be upset today and I dont want this to ruin your day... How about I take care of the bill and you credit me some labor or work here today." Hes an independant subcontractor so I figure he may be able too..

I tell him again.. I dont want this to ruin your day and I just want you to do a good job on the install... He seems relieved.. He says.." NO Problem man, I will credit you what ever the cost to fix that thing is.... HE offers labor/hours and several componets and his cost...

The rest of the day actuallyall went great as I made sure he knew I appreciated his honesty and willingness to pay for my mount and then the gentlemans agreement we had on trading work for repair ....

In the end, I made a new friend.. He pitched in 300.00 of upgrades, extra hours etc.. He even wrote it up in his bill and documented everything he gave me at cost and for the three extra hours he did for labor..as my wife and I had a difficult install ..which he came back and finished the next evening on his own time....... By the time he left, I dont think It ruined his day at all... He was a very hard worker and really set up our two HD tvs and the boys top notch..

Oh I used a crayon and super glue to get that buck almost back to perfect...

Stretch just has chipped tine TIPS... 2 to 3/8s at the max.. so he scores a little less now! LMAO.. its all good..

Your children have an excellent role model!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where's the pic of your repairs? We gotta critique your work
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: drhntr178

Where's the pic of your repairs? We gotta critique your work
No problem.. I will shoot some tonight.. ... DUG into my kids Crayon box and super glue..The tines look pretty darned good.. OBTW.. I did call my taxi and he said something like that would probably go at least 100.00-200.00 bucks max.. for the fix..
Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

I would have apologized to him for putting the mount so low on the wall.
Basement ceiling height .... cant do much about it.. Plus the TV man was at least 6-3 heres the buck he bounced off his head!

Old 02-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bruce ...thanks..

My wife and kids were standing right behind me when this all happened.. honestly I think I was in shock so much at first.. it kept me from flipping my lid! LMAO 13 years of JR high teaching doesnt hurt either!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

That turned outgood for you. As good as can be for almost trashing one of your prized posessions. At least the guy wasn't a jerk and didn't act like it was no big deal. Glad your family was present!

If it had been me in that situation, my GF would have told me.....Honey, go upstairs and let me handle this...NOW!! Because she knows how I can be when stuff like this happens. I'm usually not that calm.[:-]

Good job for you keeping your cool and not making the guy feel like a total POS.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm glad you were able to fix it .I hope you were not looking to put in in the book.This is a good lessen for all ,from a teacher . Do not hang them from a nail ,someone could have been hurt or killed . I usea lag bolts that fit into the slot hanger my taxi uses on the back of my mounts,they can not come down unless you push in and then lift up and pulled out. When the game room is done ,I'm going to use a cable back up on the big heads moose,caribou and elk.

[/align]
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

This is scary. You and I thinking alike. That's what I said.... get a free install but I guess I didn't know how much an install of Direct TV cost.[&:]
Old 02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Troy.. Way to handle the situation the right way. Accidents happen,and as long as he wasn't careless when it did happen, then it sounded like youreacted the way you should have. I'm glad you were able to get Stretch, fixed up.

Quick Reply: Oh I felt bad for the poor fella.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.