Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Follow up shots... >

Follow up shots...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shots...

Old 02-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Follow up shots...

Here's the situation;

You've just made what could be considered a great shot on a buck. He runs ten yards from where you shot him and stops. You can see blood coming out of his wound and you know he'll go down in due time.

Would you take another shot? Why or why not?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Follow up shots...

I would have to say no, because why waste an arrow, just let him drop.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not if I know he is bleeding from a double lung/ heart shot. By the time I got another arrow nocked he would be falling over. Due time with a double lung shot with a broadhead is usually about 10 - 15 seconds.

IfI made a bad shot you betcha.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM

NO...if i knew it was a good shot I wouldn't shoot again for two reasons

1. Another shot could just make him run and create a tracking job, whereas he could just go down right where he is standing...assuring recovery

2. Why waste an arrrow?
Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

If theres blood pouring out and you can tell he wont last long, then why shoot again and risk spooking him worse and making him run off. After all, if it really was that great of a shot it should only be a matter of less than 30 seconds until its over.

Now if I wasnt sure of the shot and was offered another, then yes I would fling another arrow.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

yeah if he is just standing there and i can clearly see its a good shot i'm just going to let him go to sleep. I'd rather see him fall over right there, then shoot again and have him take off...not that he would prob go very far with the good first shot, so prob a moot point. If I had any question at all about the first one you can bet there would be a second arrow on the way.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

No.

Why? Because if he is standing 10 yards away with blood a'pourin' he is going to die. Flinging another arrow will most likely cause him to run farther away. 10 yard track job seems better.

edit: I guess I could have said I agree with OK and Jeremy
Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 PM

Yes and No. If you do really have a good shot and he runs 10 yards and stops, that means he doesnt know what just happened (he doesnt know you are there!). If it is perfect hit, he is going down anyway.

IF it isnt, then your greatest asset at this point in time is that he doesnt know you are there. If you can get another shot in him without spooking him, then do it. If you cant get another shot off without spooking him, I stay perfectly still because he will probably walk away and bed down in short order leaving you a couple hours to eat, take a nap, call some buddies and come drag your buck out.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. I value the quick kill of an animal over any arrow in my quiver. I'll shoot until its out of range or on the ground, not taking any chances.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot again. With a gun or a bow.

Quick Reply: Follow up shots...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.