Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Central Illinois Sheds >

Central Illinois Sheds

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Central Illinois Sheds

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Central Illinois Sheds

Any guys here in Central Illinois finding any sheds?

I've never found a shed before, so I started trying to look for them this season.Well I have been out quite a few times this year and still haven't found anything. Went out yesterday and walked a creek for a couple of hours and then today went out and walked a fence row for probably 3 hours and had no luck. I don't know if I just haven't trained my eyes to find them yet or what, but I've found all different kinds of bones from different animals, just not antlers.

I found these today:

I think the one on the left is a skunk, I have no reason to think that other than it looked like skunk fur laying around it.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Central Illinois Sheds

I would say Racoon on the left and a Chubacabara on the right! No, maybe a coyote?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

LOL yeah- DEFINITELY the chupacabra! Nah I was pretty sure it was a yote- which is kinda cool because Ive been hunting them with no luck this winter.

Actually Im pretty sure the small one is a skunk, I had it in the basement afterI got home, and it smells really skunky! Had to take it outside, got rank pretty quick.

Just found this link:

http://www.evolutionnyc.com/IBS/SimpleCat/product/ASP/product-id/882469.html
Old 02-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one on the left looks like a cat skull to me.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Typical Buck

Compare this to the first one, this one is a skunk.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it smelled like a skunk I'm going to take your word for it. Shoot, according to that website you can sell that thing for $44! Either way cool find. What part of IL. you from? Go ILLINI!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

haha, yeah that seems a little expensive to me! Im from Paris- where are you from? Are you a shed hunter?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Robinson and yes I hunt sheds. The only advice I can give you is to hit the bedding areas and hit them hard. But, you don't want to start tromping through a bucks bedding area until you know they have dropped. Most bucks have probably dropped in our area but I have seen some nice bucks with antlers still on in March. Winter Wheat fields are also a good place to find sheds but I've had the most luck in bedding areas.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

One farm I hunt I haven't gotten a chance to check out yet, it's got about a 40 acre field of Winter Wheat. I guess I'll have to check that out sometime this week!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I'm from Robinson and yes I hunt sheds. The only advice I can give you is to hit the bedding areas and hit them hard. But, you don't want to start tromping through a bucks bedding area until you know they have dropped. Most bucks have probably dropped in our area but I have seen some nice bucks with antlers still on in March. Winter Wheat fields are also a good place to find sheds but I've had the most luck in bedding areas.
Ah, another Apollo conference rival. LOL. Don't know if you follow the highschool sports any...what's a Maroon anyways? lol . I believe Cougar Mag is from Robinson as well.

I must be a crappy shed hunter, I've checked everywhere I thought was a bedding area, all the fence rows, creek crossing, major runs, etc. I even got desperate andwalked through one area real heavily traveled area for a couple hundred yards. I had to walk through it REAL hunched over because the canopy was only about 3 or 4 feet high (Im 6'2) andI was thinking maybe a buck would have hit his rack on the brush above and knocked it loose orsomething. All I got was an aching back, lol. I guess that's one upside to being young though, I'll probablyend updoing it again next week.

Quick Reply: Central Illinois Sheds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.