Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pro Shops better >

Pro Shops better

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pro Shops better

Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Pro Shops better

My buddy went to Gander Mountain looking for a new bow. He ended up buying a Truth 2 because he liked his Fred Bear Instinct (that broke). They said it would be ready tomorrow to pick up. He calls the next day and they say that they need to order his size for the cam that they originally said they had. They swapped all of his old stuff on the new one but my buddy said they put the dampeners in a spot that voids the warranty. He wasn't comfortable with the kid at the start working on his bow. I guess he was waving his knife and what not around his string with no care in the world.

After all this nonsense, he returned the bow and got his money back and went straightto my guy at thePro Shop and bought a Mathews DXT and is now happier than a pig in doo doo.

My point is, not to generalize, but do these kids working at Gander Mountain or Dick's really have the experience that you can trust? After what he went through, I'll stick with the Pro Shop and their 20-40 years of experience!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pro Shops better

At my local place that Rhymes with Ricks, you dont have to worry you wont get service.

Ryan.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I was in a "pro shop" a couple weeks ago getting a d-loop tied on......when a guy comes in to buy a new 82nd airborne. He asks the "pro" behind the bench the difference between the 82nd and the 101st. The "pro" starts telling him how much faster the 101st is.

It's got nothing to do with thecounter and ALL to do with the man behind it.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

i trust only one shop to work on my bows pro shop in shawnee, he may be higher and farther away than others but he knows his high countrys.
i need to buy the equipment and learn how to work on my own bows.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i always go with my local shop because i KNOW that they understand whats going on.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM

I think it varies from place to place, but I would tend to think that some pro shops would have a little bit more knowledge. However, I have found that both pro shops and store chains often lack knowledge on the products they are selling. I research everything on the bows (specs, design, etc.) I'm considering buying. I find oftenthat I'm telling the shop more aboutspecifics on thebows they are selling. It just seems theyall could do a little more research on their own product.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like Jeff said the name over the front door has nothing to do with it. It's the guy behind the counter.

That said your odds of finding someone more knowledgeable is better at a pro shop. Help tends to turn over more at the big stores. (not always)

Dan
Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

GanderMtn over here in Mooresville has two older guys that have been around. They are good, but they have acouple of young guys that don't know jack. I walked in with my own chronograph, arrows and tried a few of their bows before I made a decision. I would like to go to some of the local shops but they are hard to find.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO Gander Mountain, Cabelas, Bass Pro & Schees are great places to buy shoes & socks.

When you need real help a pro is worth the extra money. I am not bow savy enough to buy a bow, set it up right & tune it right myself.
That is why I will always find a good pro & do my business at his shop. You will not find good pro's at every shop, so keep looking until you find one.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is always the man not the shop just because someone owns a shop that doesnt make him a pro also doesnt make the people working for himn a pro. Within 25 miles of me I have about 7 "PRO" shops only 2 that I trust at all but one that I havent been too yet.

Quick Reply: Pro Shops better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.