Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SKOAL?

Old 02-14-2003, 03:18 PM

Default RE: SKOAL?

cool!! I was wondering the same thing being my first year bowhunting. I never saw a negative reaction during gun, but that' s a different story. My first buck I got this year with a bow........... I had a big ole wad of cherry skoal in and decided to spit wherever instead of having to deal with the bottle bumbling all over the place. He got to 18 yards and actually the wind was not particulary favorable and it never bothered him. He was not alarmed at all. I did have Tinks 69 out though so I don' t know if that masked it enough or if it just won' t bother them.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:56 AM

I do, but I chew scrap. I have not notices any adverse effects from spitting on the ground below the stand. I fact I have seen the deer sniffing the ground. However I try to spit in a botttle whenever possible, just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:41 AM

4 or 5 hours in a tree without some fresh cope? No thanks. I also decided that the extra movement of having a spit bottle would hurt me more than spitting on the ground.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I also think it works as a cover scent. I have had many deer walk directly under my stand in the place I was spitting and they don’t even put their nose to the ground! Once for curiosity purposes I spit on the back of a doe and she looked back and sniffed…then licked it off. I didn’t think she would lick it off. Hope she didn’t become addicted! O and I spit on a chipmunk also and it licked the leaf next to it for a half hour. Then it caught a buzz and just lay there for a while. Ok that didn’t happen but the doe story did!
Old 02-18-2003, 11:19 PM

I have used lip candy for awhile and havent had a problem with deer or any other animal spelling it. Happy hunting
Old 02-19-2003, 03:43 PM

I would rather take a dip than brush my teeth with baking soda!
Old 02-21-2003, 07:15 AM

I recently started experimenting laying a scent trail of Cope long cut spit passed my stand and have been having PHENOMENAL success,they LOVE it,even chase other bucks away so they alone can lick it up all themselves.Am planning on marketing the stuff in 1 liter MT.Dew bottles for the low,low price of 8.99$ a bottle if anybodies interested,reach me at my website SUCKERS ARE US.com.Nearly split my britches reading mauser06s reply,and was wondering if that horse was now on the rodeo circuit under the name of crazy willie.The stories about spitting on deer reminded me of that poor dog in The Outlaw Josey Wales.You think it would have learned after the first time.You tell em Arthor P.,the bunch a wimps.Oops,just had another tooth fall out,gotta go[]