Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SKOAL?

Old 02-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SKOAL?

I don't smoke or dip and I know there's plenty who do and are successful at deer hunting. However, I take great pains to be as scent-free as possible when hunting. Deer smell lots of odors I can't detect already--immagine how well they can detect odors that I <u>can</u> smell. Many deer likely don't know what it is and will investigate--or at least not be alarmed. However, I would bet that most mature, trophy bucks with a number of hunting seasons behind them already know to avoid it--or know better than to investigate.

Just my opinion.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:49 AM

I chew skoal wintergreen and spit right on the ground under my stand. I have had many deer at ranges from steping on out without even one so much as looking at it. I don't think that it is a smell that they associate with humans.

&quot; Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad&quot;
Old 02-11-2003, 01:38 PM

I chew, and let it fly. I use to spit in a bottle. A buddy and I got into a conversation about this and he convinced me that it doesn't hurt anything to spit right on the ground. He said he had a small spike come in one evening that he wasn't gonna take. It came right up to his tree and looked up at him so he spit right on the deers forehead. While it was the spit was running down the deer's nose it was licking it....never alarmed him at all. So now I don't ever have to worry about getting stuck in a treestand and forgetting my spit bottle. I haven't had any problems at all. I have never had a deer come in and react as if there is something wrong.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

WHAT ABOUT MONSTER BUCKS!?!?!? I have known suicidal immature bucks and does to do some very stupid and dangerous things but NOT mature deer and especially mature bucks. I chew but never in the stand and won't until I read some more stories about hunters seeing PY and BC bucks licking up spit etc....anyone???
Old 02-11-2003, 09:12 PM

I read somewhere that Miles Keller chews in his stand. And he has even said that he thinks it helps cover his human scent. He has around 30 bucks in the P&Y book.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:14 PM

I chew cope.and the deer seem to be not bothered by it at all.I know someone else that chews during the hunting season and he had a deer walk right under him and he spit right on it and it looked around and kept right on going down the trail.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:48 PM

i woun' t think of hunting without a nice big pinch (or two) of cope. spit all over the place and have had deer come right up on me ...it don' t bother them. think there have been some topics in the past regarding the subject and if i recall most folks didn' t think it mattered either.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:45 PM

If you chew stop. If you smoke stop. It is not good for you and it does cause cancer and enphazema (sp). I know smoked for 20 years. Cancer survivor 2.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:53 PM

i always have a dip of cope in when i' m on stand and it does' nt seem to bother the deer at all and i spit on the ground.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

wolfen68, I am as anal retentive as anyone when it comes to remaining totally scentfree. EXCEPT for the beechnut I always chew while hunting.
I have yet to see a bad reaction from a deer, even when they get directly under me. And yes I spit on the ground. Take a pretty tough stomach not to spit loose leaf tobacco!
Anyway, I have filmed probably 15 P&Y bucks within 20 yards while chewing.
Killed 3 P&Y bucks while chewing.
Was at full draw on a 175 class buck last year while chewing, at a distance of 8 yards! Just never got the right shot.

Maybe I am lucky, but I truly believe that chewing tobacco does not bother them. (at least my brand, anyway)

Quick Reply: SKOAL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.