Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Careers

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Default RE: Hunting Careers

I completely agree with that! Very well said.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM

To the entrepreneur who sees an oppurtunity that they think they have a good shot to become successful at then I say go for it! You and your wife are in a prime position to do just that. Good luck
Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the same boat you are in dude. I just want my career to be involved in deer hunting in some way. A few years back I was like you and wanted to have my own show or have my own outfitter, and those are still both dreams of mine. But now I have researched and found that there are many avenues and jobs out there in the deer industry. Whether it be writing for a magazine, conducting research, writing a book, producing videos, giving seminars in your town, anything, just take something and run with it. I am 18 and i saw that you are 15 or 16? so dont let negative comments get you down. A lot of what everyone has said it right, but they are YOUR dreams and it is up to YOU to decided whether or not you wanna chase them. I know I am.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Good luck with that. You better be well financed. There is alot of young kids just like you that have a whole lot of financial and political(family member of someone already in business) support. My suggestion is to go to school in forestry or wildlife biology. You can do alot with one of those degrees.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM

This must mean something i too am in the same boat just tonight i was thinking about posting this exact thread lol, i didn't because i was nervous and didn't know if it went with bowhunting. I am 17 and with a solid 3.4 Gpa and some good savings to boot i hope to go to college wis a business management major (or minor) and a natural resource minor. During college i will use some of savings to start a small archery proshop which i have a building for already. Finish college get a decent job and go full force with the proshop and let it ride. Its a dream and i hope it works, whats ur plan and see any flaws in mine?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Absolutely, there is no flaw in working for yourself. I wish I were that smart when I was your age!

You need to make at least enough money to pay the bills and live a normal life but also some excess profit however to have a successful business. Learn as much as you can about running a business and look around to see how others run their business. See if you can do anything to make yours more special then theirs. You're also going to need an accountant, lawyer, and good insurance agent. Of course, you can be your own accountant at first if you are starting out very small. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

tv/film production sounds like a good choice, as well as business. good base never hurts. going out there and just doing it accounts for quite a bit though.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM

I would agree with the majority of the posts on the subject thus far. Get a job where you have free time and money to hunt.

I'll take it a step further and suggest a career: Dentistry.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law are both dentists in rural Minnesota. The make very good money and work 4-4.5 days a week with weekends off. Plus you can schedule vacation time during major hunting seasons.

It may sounds like a lot of school, but assuming you start college at 18/19 and go straight through, you are out making $$$ by 25/26.

As a 4th year with 3 months left of med school, let me assure you that if you're even slightly above average intelligence for college, you can get into grad school if you're willing to bust your @$$ for 8 years. You need a college GPA of probably 3.5 or better and some extracurricular involvement.

Ask some of the other guys on here how many were set in their lifetime careers making 6 figures by age 25. My guess would be a very very small handful.

I'm not saying this is the only way to go by any means, but it's definitely a way to do it. With 5 years of residency and a life of being on call every 3rd or 4th weekend ahead of me, there have been many times where I have wished I would have gone to dental school.

Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think your best bet would be to choose a career that will allow you to make a lot of money and have a lot of free time to devote to hunting. Then you can see if you still want to go the hunting biz route by doing so part time. It's a very tough industry to crack into.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

Good luck with that. You better be well financed. There is alot of young kids just like you that have a whole lot of financial and political(family member of someone already in business) support. My suggestion is to go to school in forestry or wildlife biology. You can do alot with one of those degrees.
Go with forestry..

since my major is wildlife biology[8D]

Quick Reply: Hunting Careers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.