Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hoyt Vectrix, Good or Bad??? >

Hoyt Vectrix, Good or Bad???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt Vectrix, Good or Bad???

Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 PM

Default RE: Hoyt Vectrix, Good or Bad???

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I also really like the Vectrix. It has a smooth draw cycle and a very comfortable grip. It is not, however, a "speed bow" - like the PSE X Force or 82nd Airborne - nor is it as quiet and shock free as the Bowtech General. Not as light and slim as the Mathews DXT. But it shoots very well.
You are correct, it's not a "speed" bow....but that's not what Hoyt sets out to do, either. Where the Vectrix absolutely shines is in durability, and hunting weight arrows. They are a GREAT mix of speed and shootability. I'm not sure what constitutes a "speed" bow, but 320 fps sounds pretty fast to me, and it's far smoother than the much more aggressive cams required to get those speeds in the 340's and 50's.....

Case in point.....My Vectrix Plus is shooting a nearly 500 grain arrow 286 fps.... Folks, that's a 7 grain per pound arrow.....It's incredibly smooth, and DEAD quiet. Oh, it drives tacks as well.

Is it any better than say an 82nd, or some of the other bows out? No. But then again, the 82nd isn't any better than the Vectrix, either. They're just different, which is why is it always a great idea to shoot all of them you can.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:58 PM

I'm looking more for asmooth quiet shooter, but is still fast (310-320 IBO). It doesn't have to be the fastest bow. I'v shot some Mathews, Bowtechs, Diamonds, and Bear bows. All of them have been nice bows. The only brand I haven't had a chance to shoot yet and want tois the Hoyts. The Katera sounds nice, but I don't like the brace height. I want a more forgiving bow and smooth draw ratherthan a speed burner. I know the Vectrix was their main bowlast year, and thought that I might be able to get a better deal. One of the only downfalls I hear about Hoyts is the weight. Not much tree stand hunting here out west. Mostly ground and pound, so weight would be a factor. How much do they weigh?

Also, I've fell in love with my QAD Hunter rest on my current bow. Will they work on the Hoyt bows with the Tec riser, or does that interfere with a lot of rests or anything else?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 PM

Ummmm......the vectrix is 4.7 pounds I think....I'm not positive on that one...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Vectrix is heavy at 4.4 pounds, but for stand hunting it doesn't really matter. I think the extra weight helps stabilize the bow. JMO
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Found and old thread…

Before I start let me say I’m not what you call brand loyal, ill buy anything that feels good. I just want a reputable bow maker to get me started.

I have had a Vertix since 2007, got it for 650.00 on sale at $cheels. I shot the DXT the Drenilen, and a few others and what sold me was the smooth draw cycle. It was smooth as silk and still is to day. I can group 100g Montech’s at 50 yards. The bow has also been very low maintenance; it sat in my basement pretty much untouched until bow season comes around. I take it out, fire a few test shots to make sure I’m still tuned and it has held its tune since the very first paper tune in 2007. I have a 28’’ draw so I loose some speed there but still Chrono around 267 FPS which is plenty fast.

To date I have shot 2 deer with it (haven’t gotten to hunt as much as I would have liked) both deer at 30 yards.

The Katarea is pretty much like the Vetrix but with little bit less weight, and different cams. I shot it and noticed a little bit more vibration on the Katarea then the Vetrix. Katrea was a bit fast though so that’s probably why. I think the Katarea has a 6’’ brace height which means its less forgiving.

The durability of the Hoyt Bows has been reinforced in my opinion. They just seem to be tough as nails but any bow maker these days has to be due to the tough market.

Would I like like a new bow? SURE! But from everything I have looked at since the Vetrix came out in 2007 there really isn’t anything THAT much better for hunting… I would love a Carbon Element but for 1500.00 I don’t think so.

Now for 3D… sure faster does give you an advantage but try pulling one of those overly aggressive cams back when your froze sitting in a tree, or then again lets say you need to let the string down after draw without scaring deer… try that when your cold!

Only thing I had to change on my Vetrix was the grip, yes it felt great but when shooting it that think grip was casing me to torque the bow, so I bought the thinnest grip I could find and problem solved. Heck I was shooting off the riser for awhile and I think I was slightly more accurate doing that.

For hunting the Vertrix is a great all around bow but shoot as many bows as you can! You will thank yourself later for doing that.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I'm still in love with my Vectrix. Mine shoots like it did the first day as well. I don't think the factory strings (Fuse?) ever even stretched.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Vectrix since 2007 and wouldn't take a million dollars for it. I have had other Hoyts, PSE, and Mathews and always come back to the Hoyts. Best all around hunting bow on the market in my opinion. I looked at the Carbon Element earlier this year and stuck with the Vectrix .
The QAD ultra rest works great on my Vectrix.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

I’m sure ill buy another bow or two down the road but I’m definitely never going to sell my Vetrix.

I don’t think my original string ever stretched either.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

It was a good bow,but I prefer my AM32.