Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck from 1.5 to 6.5 >

Buck from 1.5 to 6.5

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck from 1.5 to 6.5

Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck from 1.5 to 6.5

Pretty accurate, I throw a bit more into the antlers but very informative.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Great read, but when I get within 50yrds of a good deer my head gets all light and hard to remember such info.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bitterroot21
Is there a way to tell the real age of the deer after it is killed? One that is indisputable?
Indisputable? I doubt it. Too many variables.

For example......A florida deer body demensions will probably be smaller than say a michigan deer of the same age. Most people would "guess-timate" the florda deer to be younger than the michigan deer in that example because of the difference in body size.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon

ORIGINAL: bitterroot21
Is there a way to tell the real age of the deer after it is killed? One that is indisputable?
Indisputable? I doubt it. Too many variables.

For example......A florida deer body demensions will probably be smaller than say a michigan deer of the same age. Most people would "guess-timate" the florda deer to be younger than the michigan deer in that example because of the difference in body size.

Just my .02 cents.

I agree 100%. Amature buck here in the western Maryland mountains might dress out at around 150 or so. MIGHT! We have very small bodied deer and pencil antlers. Good antler mass is very rare.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some good stuff!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good read there Germ!! Thnx, cant ever read too much info about aging deer.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Other considerations:

Where is this deer (location)?

Nutrition?

Herd dynamics?

This is my opinion....but I think ALL these things factor in as well. There's a photo of a 2.5yr old on that site that could EASILY be a 3.5 yr old HERE....where I hunt. Easy!

I don't look at the racks that much....but I agree with TeeJay....it IS "A" factor in field judging.

I look at a LOT of photos like this....and study my game cam photos from time to time to try to get better at this. One thing I've found is......people know the deer they hunt pretty darned well. Blanket statements are rarely backed up. If Rybo says a deer near him is a 2.5yr old. You'd bet your ass I believe him.

Love these threads. Very informative. They reinforce that.....beyond 3.5 yrs.....it's a complete guess, for me.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Other considerations:

Where is this deer (location)?

Nutrition?

Herd dynamics?

This is my opinion....but I think ALL these things factor in as well. There's a photo of a 2.5yr old on that site that could EASILY be a 3.5 yr old HERE....where I hunt. Easy!

I don't look at the racks that much....but I agree with TeeJay....it IS "A" factor in field judging.

I look at a LOT of photos like this....and study my game cam photos from time to time to try to get better at this. One thing I've found is......people know the deer they hunt pretty darned well. Blanket statements are rarely backed up. If Rybo says a deer near him is a 2.5yr old. You'd bet your ass I believe him.

Love these threads. Very informative. They reinforce that.....beyond 3.5 yrs.....it's a complete guess, for me.
As he states in the Thread Tenn.

"Those two characteristics seem to be the best for judging TN bucks."

Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Gary.....TN...NC...TX......doesn't matter. They're both BIG areas to generalize. We have different body structure deer one county over from here......and deer density/nutrition/etc... can affect size within even shorter distances.

I know what he was saying.....and I wasn't trying to dispute it. Just stating an opinion.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Gary.....TN...NC...TX......doesn't matter. They're both BIG areas to generalize. We have different body structure deer one county over from here......and deer density/nutrition/etc... can affect size within even shorter distances.

I know what he was saying.....and I wasn't trying to dispute it. Just stating an opinion.
Sorry I was confused

Quick Reply: Buck from 1.5 to 6.5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.