Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 They stole my idea! >

They stole my idea!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

They stole my idea!

Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: They stole my idea!

actually you do have the paten on it, so long as you can prove in some way that you created it first, then you have 1 year from the first time you show it till it is up for grabs. if they actually stole it they you are entitled to all the money they produce, they would force you into a long drawn out court battle though. talk to a paten lawyer and they will tell you the laws.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember, if you/us/I could think of it, someone else could too.[&:][8D] And patent? Change something 10% and it's a new product. Right?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

i am almost sure if you take the evidence to a paten lawyer and talk with him/her you would get the paten all to your self. they would be able to go over the law and show you all the criteria that that would define it. all you have to do is get the evidence showing it on huntingnet or prove that you showed it to anyone and the date you first did it, then you can fall under the 1 year rule.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

there is a thing called a patent sorry do it right next time
Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ya Its sucks but there is nothing I can do about it. I am only 15 so I dont even know if I can legally patent it and I wouldn't even know where to start. I definately am not going to go to court over it. I could still probably sell my broadhead. But then again im only 15 so I wouldnt know how to do any of that. Live and Learn

Die Hard
Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

well being 15 has nothing to do with it
i started working on seadoo jetskis at 16 owned my own shop at 18

As for the broad head if there selling it they have patented it already so if you went and sold it you would be on the wrong side of the issue then legally
As for selling it first get something that works
then there are quick and cheap temporary patents you get to test the idea then call some broad head makes and so on.
ORIGINAL: diehardhunter

Ya Its sucks but there is nothing I can do about it. I am only 15 so I dont even know if I can legally patent it and I wouldn't even know where to start. I definately am not going to go to court over it. I could still probably sell my broadhead. But then again im only 15 so I wouldnt know how to do any of that. Live and Learn

Die Hard
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 AM

I had this same idea last spring, while sitting in a ground blind turkey hunting,before I knew you were exploring it. It is entirely conceivable that American Broadhead came up with it independently as well. I know it kinda sucks having a 100 watter come into your head . . . . but they may not have actually "stolen" your idea.

For that matter, do you know if they patented it? It is my understanding that an idea has to be a certain departure from existing designs to merit a patent . . . . I'm not sure if this one is different and unique enough to qualify.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i thought hope the idea of a TV show around the show Jericho two years before theyeven had ads upbut they got to it first
it just shows you guys had a real good idea keep thinking them up
ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I had this same idea last spring, while sitting in a ground blind turkey hunting,before I knew you were exploring it. It is entirely conceivable that American Broadhead came up with it independently as well. I know it kinda sucks having a 100 watter come into your head . . . . but they may not have actually "stolen" your idea.

For that matter, do you know if they patented it? It is my understanding that an idea has to be a certain departure from existing designs to merit a patent . . . . I'm not sure if this one is different and unique enough to qualify.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

There was a broadhead back in the late 60's that had the cut outs in it, I think it was the bodkin.