Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killer Broadheads >

Killer Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Rage
35.14%
Grim Reaper
4.50%
Muzzy
20.72%
G5
11.71%
Other
27.93%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Killer Broadheads

Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Killer Broadheads

What's so new about the Rage?
I dunno? 2" cut?

And your accusation that I'm (and every other Rage user)being "fooled" is not only insulting....it's laughable.

I have nothing to gain by posting these photos. You are a dealer for Slick tricks. Both of these statments are fact.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
You are a dealer for Slick tricks. Both of these statments are fact.
So is the fact I sell NAP, Muzzy's, G5, Magnus, Rocky Mountain, Wasp, and O Yeah Rage

It's like a guy once told me, you can buy this, or this, or this, or I'll sell you this.As far as expandables goes The Spitfire XP's are one of the very best currently on the market, and will do damage equal to anything else. Then the new Griz Trick that is coming out will surpass that damage. I know I am anxious to get them in my quiver. Rage are a quality head or I wouldn't even sell them, but you can't tell me the ad money and promotion they implemented has not affected the sale of these heads? I know it has[8D]Slick Tricks have become one of the most sought out heads and with virtually zeroad campaign. Word of mouth in person and on forums. They are tough, fly great, have Super sharp blades, and cut holes like a 10 gauge. I'm not sure what else you can ask of a broahead. They also have the best customer service in the business. Gary will refund your money for any reason.

Dan
Old 02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

One failure was too many, and 2 and I was finished.
Dan, can you explain what the failures were? Did the broadhead come apart, fail to open but you recovered the animal to know this, open in flight causing a miss, bounce off the deer (OK, the last one is sarcasm)?

I hear all the time that broadheads "fail." To me the only failures I have experienced while bowhunting have been my own. I have been fortunate to never have a true equipment failure, so I try to learn from what others have experienced.

So if you could tell us what failures you've experienced it can do nothing but help us out.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Dan:

I rarely buy anything from people who like to slap me around while I'm trying to reach for my wallet.

Have a good weekend
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 AM

I use NAP thunder heads "top selling broad head" only had one break so far becaus I hit a rock instead of meat or bone(have had the same pack for 3 years now)

or crimson talons(im tryin these when season rolles around
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes think companies get carried away with going bigger. There are loads of good heads out there that have been causing serious damage for years. 1.25" cd- 1.75" cd heads have been around forever but thenew 2" cut broadhead well it's all the "Rage". I think there is a such thing as overkill and the archery industry is flooded with it. I have no no doubt many people love the Rage head but I was turned off by the recalls, Iknow it happens and that their QA department has addressed the issues but it is still inthe back of my head. I use the Rocket Ultimate Steels and Steelhead 100'soften and they bothhave a cdthat is either 7/8 of an inch or 1"(can't quite recall for the US) and 1 1/4(for the SH 100)but they are super sharp, tough,and accurate. Every deer I have shot with them never travelled more than 75-80 yards. So because ofexperiences like that I don't really understand the necessity to go bigger unless you take or make a lot of marginal shots.

At the end of the day a lot of this stuff is personal preference and what "you" feel confident with in the woods. If the heads you are using are killing then use em' if they are not or you are woundingmore deer than you should(which would be 0 in a perfect world), switch them ifyou want tobut know this99%(completly fabricated percentage)of the time that wounded deer wasn't caused by the broadhead, it was cause by the injun behind the bow.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

You are a dealer for Slick tricks. Both of these statments are fact.
So is the fact I sell NAP, Muzzy's, G5, Magnus, Rocky Mountain, Wasp, and O Yeah Rage

It's like a guy once told me, you can buy this, or this, or this, or I'll sell you this.As far as expandables goes The Spitfire XP's are one of the very best currently on the market, and will do damage equal to anything else. Then the new Griz Trick that is coming out will surpass that damage. I know I am anxious to get them in my quiver. Rage are a quality head or I wouldn't even sell them, but you can't tell me the ad money and promotion they implemented has not affected the sale of these heads? I know it has[8D]Slick Tricks have become one of the most sought out heads and with virtually zeroad campaign. Word of mouth in person and on forums. They are tough, fly great, have Super sharp blades, and cut holes like a 10 gauge. I'm not sure what else you can ask of a broahead. They also have the best customer service in the business. Gary will refund your money for any reason.

Dan
I thought that was obvious. In business the reason you advertise your product is to gain more sales, dah.

Are you blaming Rage for advertising to get their name and product out there to the consumer?

I'll put it this way, if the Rage was not doing what it says it will do (flies like a FP, create huge entrance and exit wounds which makes for easy bloodtrails, have great penetration and simply create unbelievable devestation),sales wouldhave gonedown very quickly and it hasn't.

Let me start by saying I think the ST is a good head but as you stated it sells very well by word of mouth. Now I hope you understand this works both ways. If the Rage was not working as advertised (and yes they have advertised a lot)word of mouth would also work the opposite and cause the Rage to decrease in sales fairly quickly.

When you advertise as much as Rage you set yourself up for failure if it doesn't work as advertised. So in all reality advertising can work as a negative.

I absolutely love the Rage head. In my 26 years of bowhunting (the first 18 years using fixed) I have never seen a head do so much damage to an animal consistently, create such huge entrance and exitholes consistently, have such great blood trails consistently, put down animals down so quick consistently, and create room for error on your shot in case something goes wrong (we either all have done it or will happen to everyone sometime) consistently.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I use Thunderhead Pro's, one of the most inexpensive BH's on the market, one of the most proven. I don't need huge wounds, I don't want a lot of bloody ruined meat and I'd like a hide that's worth tanning. The hide on that doe pictured above isn't worth a trip to the tannery. What a waist. If I was A perfect shot, and always chose the perfect shot angle, I wouldn't need A BH at all. A 1/8" hole in the heart would do. If I don't kill and recover an animal, it's not my BH's fault and spending more money on a different BH isn't going to help anything. You make a good shot with any BH, the critter will die. The key is making the good shot. If you hit the heart every time, you will kill every time. I have yet to see a critter hit in the heart that didn't bleed a lot. You can't buy good shot placement. To get good shot placement you need to practice. The better you are, the less BH you need.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't want a lot of bloody ruined meat
Fair enough wack.....but I ain't eating them parts.

The hide on that doe pictured above isn't worth a trip to the tannery.
Nor was she ever slated for there.

I have yet to see a critter hit in the heart that didn't bleed a lot.
And I have yet to see an archer shoot 100% heart shots.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I have yet to see an archer shoot 100% heart shots.

What about what's his face from team somethingoranother from down in OK. Remember all passthrough heart shots every time. That is except for the boar that he shot between the eyes as he jumped over it.

What the heck was his name?!?![:@]