Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody going away from trail cams? >

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody going away from trail cams?

Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody going away from trail cams?

ORIGINAL: Germ

BTW

I have had a no flash cuddeback in my hands 3 times now, I just could not buy it. It's not the cash[8D] I could be talk into buying one.

This is where it bugs me. I rarley watch hunting shows, but I have caught a few lately. When I see "We're hunting this spot because we caught a big buck on camera" it bugs me, and I have no idea why[:@]

I have no ill will towards anyone who uses one, I think I am a moran for not[:-]
Get the regular flash it has much better night pics (and between you and me it doesn't scare the deer, but don't tell anyone I said that or they will jump all over me) If it cheapens anything for you, then obviously it isn't worth it to you. I think the same about scent blocking crap but that is just my gig. So basically, we are both cheaters

And you are not a moron for not using a camera. You are a moron for not spelling moron right, and I am a moron for not using scent blockers
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't ever use one. Did use a trailcam pretty heavily in 04' and 05'.. but I started witnessing some erratic deer movement. So I stopped putting out the trail cam.. cold turkey. In fact I did not put one out at all in 2006 or 2007 on farms that I hunt.

I don't know that I'll ever put one out again.
Nontypical Buck

I’m with Germ on this one. I feel like a trail cam taking pics while I’m not around would be synthetic (for lack of a better term) to the hunting experience. I’d rather walk through the forest as a beast, who uses skills instead of gadgets. Problem is, all the stuff I bring are gadgets too, we just all have our own feelings and lines to be or not to be crossed. Some with trail cams might not use a compound bow (like I do), and wouldn’t, because it would take something away from their hunt.

My neighbor uses trail cams all the time. He lives two properties over from me. He would say “I’m not hunting in the back yard, there’s no good bucks back there” and then “man I saw a monster”! He was looking at that thing so much, it dictated his actions and hunts. I told him not to ever tell me about what he saw on the camera. To me, it takes some of the magic away from it. Turns it into more of a procedure or something. I’d like to be wondering what may be on the way, rather than expecting a certain deer. Not knowing is cool I guess, to me. I’d rather look for rubs and scrapes and other sign. But hey, that’s just me; and I’m sick…
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: Germ

BTW

I have had a no flash cuddeback in my hands 3 times now, I just could not buy it. It's not the cash[8D] I could be talk into buying one.

This is where it bugs me. I rarley watch hunting shows, but I have caught a few lately. When I see "We're hunting this spot because we caught a big buck on camera" it bugs me, and I have no idea why[:@]

I have no ill will towards anyone who uses one, I think I am a moran for not[:-]
Get the regular flash it has much better night pics (and between you and me it doesn't scare the deer, but don't tell anyone I said that or they will jump all over me) If it cheapens anything for you, then obviously it isn't worth it to you. I think the same about scent blocking crap but that is just my gig. So basically, we are both cheaters

And you are not a moron for not using a camera. You are a moron for not spelling moron right, and I am a moron for not using scent blockers
And the sad part is the "a" and "o" are like 9 kets apart Moron I am
Old 02-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't ever use one. Did use a trailcam pretty heavily in 04' and 05'.. but I started witnessing some erratic deer movement. So I stopped putting out the trail cam.. cold turkey. In fact I did not put one out at all in 2006 or 2007 on farms that I hunt.

I don't know that I'll ever put one out again.
That's good stuff Duke. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would never go back to not using my trail cameras. They haved help me out so much for scouting purposes.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoyed using mine last year and a little the year before, but definately believe they can be a catch 22 in some respects... I'd like to see one produced that on IR mode at night does not get the attention of any critter, whether it be the noise or the light..

? how many of you guys have tested your IR's yourself at night ... pitch dark? I haven't..

Nights here are pretty quiet, especially in the summers, the birds are done, the chipmunksandsquirrels go to bed, theboats are off the lake, the logging equipment is all done for the day, cars/ trucks are parked, kids go in for the evening, people retire for the night...etc.. and sound really travels in these mountains.. Its pretty much deathly quiet out here if the wind isnt up at night... Makes me wonder if the "noise" issue is more noticeable at night by an old buck than during the daytime when the secondary noises are nill versus drowning out per say the slightest noise from a IR camera. Other than crickets or a bull frog... it canbe creepy quiet at night here in the summers and even early fall..

I also question the a deers low light sensibility to pick up any light, for example my bushnell and cudde back have a red light that comes on when I am on test mode.. I havent even thought about it but does this come on regular mode at night too??? I should have checked that myself..

I'll still use mine for now, I'd like to seesomeone produce a camera that can be undetectable by be it noise or light at night..
Old 02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, I think that this falls into the fence/guide thing where people start thinking that cams "make it too easy."

There is something in some hunters where the reward is all in the challenge. I have some of that, which
is why gunhunting is less thrilling to me.

As to cams being a "quick fix," before there is any pressure in the late summer they often follow similar
daytime patterns, but by the time bowseason started the summer patterns were off and the big bucks
were unpredictable and mostly nocturnal (till the rut).

So, a good way to look at it would be as simply a tool to increase your odds (like finding rub lines).

BTW Germ, my last 2 bowhunts had different spikes walk almost right under me (in a ditch as planned).
Given my season, it was tough to pass those bastards. [:@] I just need to get on the board and the does
never wanted to cooperate. [&:]
Old 02-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Why couldn't you tape over the red light? Is there a reason for the light.....other than to let you know it's working?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Here are the rules for fair chase: Check out rule no. 3. IMO, trail cams violate it.
FAIR CHASE
, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical,
sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild game animal in
a manner that does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over such
game animals.
Use of any of the following methods in the taking of game shall be deemed
UNFAIR
CHASE
and unsportsmanlike:
1. Spotting or herding same from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the
purpose of pursuit and shooting;
2. Herding, pursuing, or shooting game from any motorboat or motor vehicle;
3. Use of electronic devices for attracting, locating, or observing game, or for
guiding the hunter to such game;
4. Hunting game confined by artificial barriers, including escape-proof fenced
enclosures, or hunting game transplanted solely for the purpose of commercial
shooting;
5. Taking of game in a manner not in full compliance with the game laws or
regulations of the federal government or of any state, province, territory, or tribal
council on reservations or tribal lands;
6. Or as may otherwise be deemed unfair or unsportsmanlike by the Executive
Committee of the Boone & Crockett Club.

Quick Reply: Anybody going away from trail cams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.