Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the most difficult animal you've ever bowhunted ?

That friggin groundhog that eats out of my wifes garden. He is cagey. There is no good stalking cover.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Spike

A whitetail doe.I had one that I hunted for 4yrs and could not get a shot,got busted a lot of times by her.Killed her the 5th year and had her aged game and fish said she was 7 or 8 years old.She was very smart and knew every stick in her area.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Although I've never done it, my father and his friends used to hunt pheasants with recurves and flu-flu arrows. That sounds pretty difficult to me.
Greg, The guy that sparked an interest in me for Archery hunted pheasants with his Recurve and Flu-Flu arrows. I was amazed, and hooked on archery!! For me the toughest has been Mule Deer mostly because of the wide open terrain they inhabit. Turkeys are a close second.

Whitetails in general are easy, there are so many of them. Mature Bucks are a different story though and simply because there are fewer of them. I have seen some Mature Bucks make mistakes any self respecting Doe would never make

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Although I've never done it, my father and his friends used to hunt pheasants with recurves and flu-flu arrows. That sounds pretty difficult to me.
It is challenging Greg! A few years back we started doing this and surprisingly we were pretty successfull. The very 1st time we went out I was lucky enough to limit out on 2 pheasants, it took 7 arrows but I got er done!

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Greg, The guy that sparked an interest in me for Archery hunted pheasants with his Recurve and Flu-Flu arrows. I was amazed, and hooked on archery!! For me the toughest has been Mule Deer mostly because of the wide open terrain they inhabit. Turkeys are a close second.

Whitetails in general are easy, there are so many of them. Mature Bucks are a different story though and simply because there are fewer of them. I have seen some Mature Bucks make mistakes any self respecting Doe would never make

Dan
Good points there Dan, allot of what you say I can agree with! The toughest for me so far has been that elusive big bull elk! I've had some close encounters but yet have I been successful in getting one. I've passed on a few small bulls knowing the 5x5 or 6x6 was still coming but they seem to always get away. The 2nd toughest for me would be a big mature black bear. I'm not talking a 300lb bear. I'm talking about the 400 to 500lb bear, skull size 20'' and up. We've had them at our baits but these certain size bear really get nocturnal quick on us and usually if any only offer you one opportunity on getting a chance at one of these so you better not screw it up if giving the chance. I've got pictures to prove the size of bear I've got hitting my baits, just getting them to come in during day light ours is another thing. In allot of ways they are just like a big mature whitetail buck, they won't do much moving around during the day but allot at night. Thats why there fun to hunt I guess, its so challenging and exciting!! Shed33 also had some great points in his post as well, I can relate to what he says some too.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 AM

The wild turkey and the pronghorn antelope.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Good points there Dan, allot of what you say I can agree with! The toughest for me so far has been that elusive big bull elk! I've had some close encounters but yet have I been successful in getting one. I've passed on a few small bulls knowing the 5x5 or 6x6 was still coming but they seem to always get away. The 2nd toughest for me would be a big mature black bear. I'm not talking a 300lb bear. I'm talking about the 400 to 500lb bear, skull size 20'' and up. We've had them at our baits but these certain size bear really get nocturnal quick on us and usually if any only offer you one opportunity on getting a chance at one of these so you better not screw it up if giving the chance. I've got pictures to prove the size of bear I've got hitting my baits, just getting them to come in during day light ours is another thing. In allot of ways they are just like a big mature whitetail buck, they won't do much moving around during the day but allot at night. Thats why there fun to hunt I guess, its so challenging and exciting!! Shed33 also had some great points in his post as well, I can relate to what he says some too.
I've been lucky on Big Bears and Elk too. One thing I have been fortunate enoughto Hunt some great areas, but I did do my Home work. This Bear scored 20 13/16" and the Elk was 308 and change, although I did make a long shot.

Dan

Old 02-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

This has been a few years ago but here's the biggest Bull I've killed mentioned above

It's amazing what losing 40 pounds will do to youI was in shape for that hunt

Dan

Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Asian Water Buffalo...
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
I've been lucky on Big Bears and Elk too. One thing I have been fortunate enoughto Hunt some great areas, but I did do my Home work. This Bear scored 20 13/16" and the Elk was 308 and change, although I did make a long shot.

Dan

Wow!! Look at the head on that thing!! That is a brute of a bear Dan! Congrats to you!! That would be a dream for me to have a bear of that size!! The biggest bear our little group has gotten so far scored 20 13/16 as well, and then my 20 5/16 bear and my buddys 20 4/16 and a couple more that were in the mid 19's, all bow and arrow (Traditional). They are tough to get but there out there. Congrats again on the big bear and bull elk.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kudu in South Africa. Their ears are so good it seems they can hear you blink. And they typically come in with a 10+ herd that makes it hard to get drawn back on one.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.