Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting my son better at 3-D???? >

Getting my son better at 3-D????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting my son better at 3-D????

Old 02-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Getting my son better at 3-D????

Guys, help me out here, my 16 year old son and hunting buddy has developed a bad habit of punching the trigger very bad, his shooting is very marginal at 3-D (i think alot is nerves on the course) he hates crowds. but his bowhunting has been excellent so far, he has several bow kills under his belt with perfect pass throughs, and only one bad hit-in the shoulder resulting in a deer lost.
I have tried and tried to get him out of that habit, what do i need to do to correct him of this??? He just dosent want to lay his finger on the trigger concentrate and shoot, instead he aims while bringing his finger around and then punches it from an inch away. I know he can be an awesome shot if i can break him of it. TFOX i think i had mentioned this to you in KY (but we were drinking ) what do you think, maby start with a blank bale and concentrate on his release, no aiming??????????? HELP IN INDIANA>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Getting my son better at 3-D????

Get a thumb triggered release. Can't punch what's not there.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

good point Don, that will be considered
ORIGINAL: mobow

Get a thumb triggered release. Can't punch what's not there.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a tough sell.......it depends on his DESIRE to become a better shot. I have a 3D shooting buddy who has the EXACT same technique and he'll never live up to his shooting potential because it goes in one ear and right out the other.

Shooting an index style release for target shooting takes more discipline than I possess. I couldn't do it.
A thumb trigger and learning the right way from the start is an excellent suggestion.

If it's not an option be prepared for long growing pains trying to break that habit of mashing with his index finger. It sounds easy enough to correct in theory but if the mindset isn't there and the dsicipline to stay with it you are peeing up a rope.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Funny thing Matt, when he was 12-14ish he did not have this problem, its developed over the last couple of years. If im right with him coaching him during target sessions, he's ok, but as soon as i start shooting and glance over at him, he is punching again. As far as Desire, in the hunting part he has tons of it, but shooting 3-d im just not seeing it. I think the thumb release might be worth a try, thanks guys!!
ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

That's a tough sell.......it depends on his DESIRE to become a better shot. I have a 3D shooting buddy who has the EXACT same technique and he'll never live up to his shooting potential because it goes in one ear and right out the other.

Shooting an index style release for target shooting takes more discipline than I possess. I couldn't do it.
A thumb trigger and learning the right way from the start is an excellent suggestion.

If it's not an option be prepared for long growing pains trying to break that habit of mashing with his index finger. It sounds easy enough to correct in theory but if the mindset isn't there and the dsicipline to stay with it you are peeing up a rope.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like target panic to me. Can he hold on the target without shooting or punching the trigger or does he flinch or pluck the string and get a bad shot? The more he shoots the more he ingrains this type of shooting into his subconscious and the harder it will be to undo. It may make archery not fun as his accuracy will suffer tremendously. He has to want to improve and understand shot control is everything.

What is his shot process and symptoms?

Check out this site and JKID, JKID is awesome at helping people with target panic and has helped me personally.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001918;p=0
Old 02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont see him flinching much, he looses that focus on the spot he is aiming at when he gets in a hurry. I think
ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Sounds like target panic to me. Can he hold on the target without shooting or punching the trigger or does he flinch or pluck the string and get a bad shot? The more he shoots the more he ingrains this type of shooting into his subconscious and the harder it will be to undo. It may make archery not fun as his accuracy will suffer tremendously. He has to want to improve and understand shot control is everything.

What is his shot process and symptoms?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went threw this myself! What I ddi was I made my trigger on my release as light as I could, and I draw and keep my finger behind the trigger, I settle my pin and as im settle I bring my finger around and as soon as I touch its off..no punching of the trigger like this. Its harder I agree to shoot cause you can not keep your finger on the trigger but on the other hand if you can hold steady there will be no problem!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey blood,I don't remember any drinking,but I don't remember much of anything.

Gander Mountain had a bt for 60 bucks the last time I was there.

I have a chappy boss thumb trigger release I will be willing to let him try.That might help but they can be punched very easily.It is just target panick plain and simple and you have heard all the remedies before.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot some excellent scores using a wrist release BUT I would practice all week with my bt and come sunday,I was shooting the trigger very well with bt but it didn't take long for the shots to become more of a command shot than a bt shot.

At that time I couldn't shoot as consistant with the bt as I would like and the wrist release was new so I was trying it out,I shot great with it but it did take a high level of discipline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.