HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Getting my son better at 3-D???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/231091-getting-my-son-better-3-d.html)

MN/Kyle 02-06-2008 08:19 PM

RE: Getting my son better at 3-D????

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Sounds like target panic to me. Can he hold on the target without shooting or punching the trigger or does he flinch or pluck the string and get a bad shot? The more he shoots the more he ingrains this type of shooting into his subconscious and the harder it will be to undo. It may make archery not fun as his accuracy will suffer tremendously. He has to want to improve and understand shot control is everything.

What is his shot process and symptoms?

Check out this site and JKID, JKID is awesome at helping people with target panic and has helped me personally.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001918;p=0
You might have a point here LKNCHOPPERS. It kinda sounds like a form of Target Panic to me also. Keep it in mind anyway Dan. Good luck
Steve, I thought you'd say, "get him a recurve"[8D]
Lmao! When are you going to get one Kyle?
I keep puttin' it off, and puttin it off...I love shooting my friends Montana Longbow, there may be one in the future;)

TFOX 02-06-2008 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me ask you experts something.....would this work?

If he's having "punching" issues....why wouldn't this work......

My wrist strap release is adjustable to where the trigger can be adjusted and activated further back in the knuckle of the trigger finger. I'd move it back and make him activate the "trigger" further back in his trigger finger.

Also....I would "think" that the heavier the trigger was set....the LESS punching he'd do. I may be wrong about this......but my thumb trigger is set pretty heavy. I can pre-load a little on it and not get a false release. Maybe if he saw he could rest his finger/knuckle on there and not trigger a release.....he'd get less punchy????

Again....just trying to help.

You are correct and these are the correct ways to shoot a wrist rlease but they still need discipline to shoot properly.

bloodcrick 02-07-2008 05:55 AM

buckeye, have you been watching the "SAW" movies??? :Dyour starting to creep me out [8D]:D
EVERYONE, thanks for all the good advise, i got some great ideas to try with him, you guys are great ;)

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I still think my idea is best :D;)Give er' a shot and let me know... [8D]

LKNCHOPPERS 02-07-2008 07:09 AM

If it is target panic, manipulating releases will only work temporarily, if at all. Blank bale and shooting with my eyes closed didn't help either. For me target panic was brought on when the desired point of impact or the bullseye came into the sight picture. Target panic is tough to deal with and requires drills to get under control. I guess the best way to tell if he has Target Panic is to see if he can keep his sight pin hovering on the bullseye without pulling the trigger (finger should be on the release trigger). Don't try to force him to do it, if he can't, he can't.

What does he say about his shooting? Is he feeling OK with it, or is he frustrated? Target Panic will make him frustrated for sure.

bloodcrick 02-07-2008 07:51 AM

There is indeed some frustration from him, like i said he used to be great on target shooting, now he is dealing with this. His efforts in the woods have been outstanding for his young age. I guess if hes killing Deer then i have nothing to worry about, but would like to see him do better on targets, Im guessing when he is in hunt mode he is in another mind state and controls what he is doing more. I got to watch him shoot his buck this season first hand, he did everything spot on, i could not ask for more. He's my best buddy in the woods and im just always trying to make him better ;)

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

If it is target panic, manipulating releases will only work temporarily, if at all. Blank bale and shooting with my eyes closed didn't help either. For me target panic was brought on when the desired point of impact or the bullseye came into the sight picture. Target panic is tough to deal with and requires drills to get under control. I guess the best way to tell if he has Target Panic is to see if he can keep his sight pin hovering on the bullseye without pulling the trigger (finger should be on the release trigger). Don't try to force him to do it, if he can't, he can't.

What does he say about his shooting? Is he feeling OK with it, or is he frustrated? Target Panic will make him frustrated for sure.