Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Getting my son better at 3-D???? >

Getting my son better at 3-D????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting my son better at 3-D????

Old 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Getting my son better at 3-D????

I still think my idea is best Give er' a shot and let me know... [8D]
Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

One technique I read about was to have him shoot at a blank target. Don't have him aim at anything in particular just put the pin on the target and work on his mechanics. To me it sounds like target panic, and with a blank target there is no bulls-eye or vitals to worry about and all he has to worry about is a nice clean release. After some repetition muscle memory kicks in and then have him go back to shooting bulls-eyes and then back to 3d targets. Also if you have a shooting range with a full backstop where you can have him SAFELY shoot with his eyes closed that might help too. That way he can "feel" himself punching the trigger. Again he will have nothing to aim at so all he can focus on is that nice clean break of the release. Hope that helps!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Sounds like target panic to me. Can he hold on the target without shooting or punching the trigger or does he flinch or pluck the string and get a bad shot? The more he shoots the more he ingrains this type of shooting into his subconscious and the harder it will be to undo. It may make archery not fun as his accuracy will suffer tremendously. He has to want to improve and understand shot control is everything.

What is his shot process and symptoms?

Check out this site and JKID, JKID is awesome at helping people with target panic and has helped me personally.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001918;p=0
You might have a point here LKNCHOPPERS. It kinda sounds like a form of Target Panic to me also. Keep it in mind anyway Dan. Good luck
Old 02-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Sounds like target panic to me. Can he hold on the target without shooting or punching the trigger or does he flinch or pluck the string and get a bad shot? The more he shoots the more he ingrains this type of shooting into his subconscious and the harder it will be to undo. It may make archery not fun as his accuracy will suffer tremendously. He has to want to improve and understand shot control is everything.

Check out this site and JKID, JKID is awesome at helping people with target panic and has helped me personally.

You might have a point here LKNCHOPPERS. It kinda sounds like a form of Target Panic to me also. Keep it in mind anyway Dan. Good luck
Steve, I thought you'd say, "get him a recurve"[8D]
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Let me ask you experts something.....would this work?

If he's having "punching" issues....why wouldn't this work......

My wrist strap release is adjustable to where the trigger can be adjusted and activated further back in the knuckle of the trigger finger. I'd move it back and make him activate the "trigger" further back in his trigger finger.

Also....I would "think" that the heavier the trigger was set....the LESS punching he'd do. I may be wrong about this......but my thumb trigger is set pretty heavy. I can pre-load a little on it and not get a false release. Maybe if he saw he could rest his finger/knuckle on there and not trigger a release.....he'd get less punchy????

Again....just trying to help.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

And if you do balnk bale shooting with him.....I'd take the sight off the bow.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM

Take some string and make a big loop that fits perfectly around his thumb and the other end conects to his release, which should be the same length as his DL. Then he can practice squeezing off the shot without getting tired of pulling his bow back. Speaking of which i need to do this for myself. Can you picture what im saying? It's hard to explain by typing.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let me ask you experts something.....would this work?

If he's having "punching" issues....why wouldn't this work......

My wrist strap release is adjustable to where the trigger can be adjusted and activated further back in the knuckle of the trigger finger. I'd move it back and make him activate the "trigger" further back in his trigger finger.

Also....I would "think" that the heavier the trigger was set....the LESS punching he'd do. I may be wrong about this......but my thumb trigger is set pretty heavy. I can pre-load a little on it and not get a false release. Maybe if he saw he could rest his finger/knuckle on there and not trigger a release.....he'd get less punchy????

Again....just trying to help.
Hey Jeff...this actually makes sense I do the oppisite but im gonna try this! . I do really well with a light trigger, alot of my problem was if the trigger was loaded heavy I would not squeeze I would pull the trigger and it always got me in trouble. So now I shoot a very light trigger!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

could he just be getting tired by chance or is it the whole time while shooting??

i know when i dont shoot for a while and loose my muscle and muscle memory, i get real jumpy and punchy...or if i shoot too much in a day and am tired, i loose it and my release is terrible...thats when i realized that backing off the weight was the ticket...as well as standing infront of my bag, closing my eyes and just focusing on my release..still go back to doing that every now and again...

but if he does it all the time, id agree with the others...just thought id throw that out there....

also, is it just 3d targets or spots too??

i had a buddy that could shoot spots OK...but his first couple 3d shoots i never saw someone so jumpy..scared me to be around him...and he had to buy another set of arrows but he came around...i tried helping but hes a hard head, been into archery longer than me and didnt wanna hear anything i had to say and got mad so i quit trying to help and watch him loose/break arrows when he shouldnt be...then he realized, for being newer to archery, i outshot him all summer at the shoots...he finally asked for advice, but wasnt dedicated and didnt wanna do what i do to shoot like i can...

funny thing is he ONLY shoots 3d deer targets in his yard...dont know if it was the couple guys watching him or what it was...but he was REAL jumpy...hed draw back and that arrow was gone and if he hit the target we were celebrating lol
Old 02-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Steve, I thought you'd say, "get him a recurve"[8D]
Lmao! When are you going to get one Kyle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.