Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's all the fuss about??  (forgiveness--accuracy--etc) >

What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Nothing on a forum is Simple!!

Dan
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Especially for the spatially challenged. [8D]
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point is the cant does not really cause you to hit low and to the left. What causes it is correcting your point of aim back to dead on target. I simply use that info in that if I had to cant my bow and get a shot off it is useful to know that at 20 yards I will probably impact a little low and left so I can compensate my aim accordingly(slightly high/right). Never hurts to know, no matter how slim the possibility of having to apply it is.

Ipractice withmy compound with my fingersoften(even though I am a release shooter)just to know where my pins impact at 10 to 25 yards. In 17 years of bowhunting I have killed two deer with fingers when I had release problems(ie dropped from stand, brought wrong pack, left in bow case at truck,broke, etc.), I guess I could have said to hell with it and climbed back down to get a release but it just seems easier to me to be able to shoot with fingers if I have to and feel confident doing it.

Same principle for the other awkward shots I practice. I'm not likely to need to do it but I still want tobe able to(if I have to)and know what to expect from my equipment. JMOand that is what I thought this thread was all about and that is how I applied the info hereto my bowhunting.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

No problem with that, NEW.....now you just have to ask Atlas how he aimed in this experiment.

Once you get past 45deg, though....you'd be hitting "slightly" right. More cant, more right....but it would be"slight".

(Assuming you used your center grip as your pivot)
Old 02-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well now we've taken this "exercise",to the woods. I try different shots also. With as good of form as I can, sitting, kneeling, crouching etc. But when the time comes that I have to cant, or shoot in some awkward situation that compromises my "upper" body form, I choose to not shoot.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm assuming he aimed dead on. I have had no problems grouping with a cant but did notice change in POI(minimal, maybe 1 " at 20 yards low/left). But that is just me, it could effect you more and Atlas less and that is expected(by me anyway).

I think everyone should tinker around with their own hunting set up and know as much as possible and if they approach itthat way it doesn't really matter if the other guys results were the same or different what matters is when "their" own personal moment of truth comes at some buck that snuck up on them while they were getting ready to climb up to their stand and they have to shoot kneeling, with the bow canted slightlyto get through a small opening insome brush they will be confident to stick one in his boiler room because they have made that shot before.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Well now we've taken this "exercise",to the woods. I try different shots also. With as good of form as I can, sitting, kneeling, crouching etc. But when the time comes that I have to cant, or shoot in some awkward situation that compromises my "upper" body form, I choose to not shoot.
I can respect that, and I too would not take a shot I was not confident in or force one that wasn't there. I have shot many 3-d's where I was like man I would never even take this shot in the woods. But inside 20 yards if there is a reasonable shot I want to be able to take it and if it requires me making some kind of adjustment I want to know that I have practiced most every kind of adjustment and feel confident taking the shot.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I can respect that, and I too would not take a shot I was not confident in or force one that wasn't there. I have shot many 3-d's where I was like man I would never even take this shot in the woods. But inside 20 yards if there is a reasonable shot I want to be able to take it and if it requires me making some kind of adjustment I want to know that I have practiced most every kind of adjustment and feel confident taking the shot.
You sound like a Hunter that is ready to Git-R-Done!!

I agree

Dan
Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Arthur's results make sense.

You SHOULD hit left.......because after you cant (remember the clock)....you're then going to have to move your pin LEFT to get it back on the target.

I honestly can't explain the "low".

The most likely reason is that the arrow is not in the center of the bow,it is above center and most have the rest shelf as center so the arrow is just above and the grip is just below,there are a few that do this different though.

So in short,when you rotate over,or cant,the arrow also goes lower and you actually endup moving the pin more sideways to compensate than up so you get the low arrow.

I really didn't want to bring this back up.

Atlas probably has his arrow very close to center so the effects will be less,that is exactly why on my target bow I set the arrow as low as I can get by with.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Some people brought up an expected big difference with broadheads over what I saw with fieldtips so I took a few more pics today using 2 different broadheads on 2 different arrows. Both 100 grain. Aftershock Maniac on a Maxima Hunter and a Stinger Buzzcutt on a Terminator hunter.

The weather did NOT hold up but I said I would do it so I kept my word..........little chilly out there today

I took single shots to avoid wrecking any arrows........same yardage and my point of aim was the 2" orange bullseye sticker I put on the target. I included a pic of what I did for the canted shot for clarity.

100 grain Aftershock Maniac (SWEET broadhead by the way)

Quick Reply: What's all the fuss about?? (forgiveness--accuracy--etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.