Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting dangerous game! >

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bowhunting dangerous game!

What is your opinion on this subject? I've seen numerous television shows with bowhunters going after grizzly bear, african lions, leopards, water buffalo, etc. with thenon-existent "knock down" ability of a bow. Naturally, the guide or PH is always standing backup with a massive amount of firepower, ready to finish off the attacking animal with a death blow. Somehow, this just seems to me to be unethical.
If the same hunter was using a rifle, in say the varmint caliber of 222 or 22-250, their would be an outrage against such an act. Why do we seem to accept and even envy the hunter going after such game with a bow? Is the bow and arrow not "unsuitable" for any size game? What's your feedback on this subject?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

I understand what you mean but I think comparing a bow to a .222 is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. A bullet and an arrow kill in different ways, a bullet by mass tauma and an arrow creates massive bleeding. As long as the arrow can pentrate into the vitals and create sufficient bleeding it should in theory kill just as quickly as a bow shot whitetail. Or at least that is my understanding (feel free to politely correct me if you disagree). I do agree that with dangerous game the margin for error with a bow is so much smaller that you can make an argument that it is unethical. I'm not sure quite where I stand on this one, but if I were to hunt dangerous game I think I would stick to the rifle, for the ability to make a quick follow up shot. I'm curious to see what the rest of you think on this one.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

There's a PH with a backup gun behind the hunter who's using a high power rifle on those critters too.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I guided in Alaska for a number of years in the 80's -90', and had a number of clients take bear,moose,caribou with a bow. At first I was VERY skeptical(even though I was a bowhunter), but witnessed many clean/quick kills with the bow. Our outfit did it right though. As a client, you had to prove your skill by shooting at the lodge before being allowed to "hunt" with a bow. If you didn't pass the test at the lodge, then you had to use a gun, no exceptions. A number of clients were pissed at this, but in reality it is for the safety of the hunter/guide/packer and the animal. I will say that I always carried a short barrell 12 guage for backup. Nothing throws as much lead as a 12 gauge, and you may be the best archer in the world, but you'd be surprised at how many folks "freeze" up when the crucial moment arrives and make a bad shot. Once you've had to go into an alder thicket after a wounded bear, you'll ALWAYS carry a backup. Taz
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Now then.....I'm impressed. No takers? I think THAT would be way up there on the ethics scale. You know.....when the food chains are on a more even keel.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally bowhunting dangerous game....is kinda a Nostalgia factor, ancient man didn't have a firearm, I'm not sure they hunted the most dangerous game either however. then those guys always have a PH as a backup with a .458 or something, i recentlly saw a lion charge 5 PH all set and ready, and the only guy that stopped him was the main guy he was charging at about 5yds witha shot between the eyes, so even having a backup isn't all too safe. Though I'm not sure any bowhunter would pursue a lion without a PH backup. oh btw, that lion was originally shot by a woman with a .375 I believe, wounded, the next day it charged the 5 PH's, once dead they turn around and shake her hand! she wasn't even allowed to have a rifle, only the 5 guys/PH's were armed. I thought this was kind of ridiculous, I understand the use of the PH's but if I wound a lion, I want to be standing next to them with a rifle for the charge. And the post kill shake/congratulations to the woman/wounder?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably a touchy subject with some people. I don't care if someone wants to bring a side arm with them while bow hunting one of these "dangerous game". The challenge of hunting these "dangerous game" is a challenge. You throw a bow in the picture and it really steps up the challenge. I'm for it and it don't bother me none on bow hunting these dangerous game animals. I'd like to do it some day.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM

I think the big difference between firearms and archery is that the arrow doesn't tend to generate the big adrenalin dump that a bullet impactdoes. So the animal is less likely to charge and less likely to attribute the cause of his distress to the direction of gunshot. They often don't even know where the archer is located, and really aren't sure just why they suddenly don't feel so good. With a well placed shot, they wind up getting light headed and pass out before they realize what just happened.

With poor shot placement, however; you have a regular dilemma on your hands. Get a bunch of PH's with real big guns and go in the bush after him.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Always have a PH with heavy firepower behind them? Damn! I knew there was something I was leaving behind!

A bow is an extremely lethal and efficient weapon. You can't even make the comparison between it and a small caliber rifle. Their means of killing are completely different and the methods for hunting with each are completely different. Until you understand that, you shouldn't be hunting with a bow... for anything!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Always have a PH with heavy firepower behind them? Damn! I knew there was something I was leaving behind!

A bow is an extremely lethal and efficient weapon. You can't even make the comparison between it and a small caliber rifle. Their means of killing are completely different and the methods for hunting with each are completely different. Until you understand that, you shouldn't be hunting with a bow... for anything!
I completely understand the difference between the two, but I've seen on the big game forum the many posters that get lamblasted for using a 270 for elk. The 270 has probably killed more elk than any other firearm. You change weapons and shoot a grizzly with a broadhead and no one says a thing about it! I know the bear will die with a well placed shot but if not for the PH, maybe not quick enough to save the shooter! There are definately people on here that can and have killed dangerous game with a bow and the only problem I have is the presence of a PH to back them up. If there is a need for a backup, doesn't it smell of being a little "under-gunned"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing anyone, I'm shakin' in my boots at the sight of a big buck or a huge bull elk coming in. It just looks a little silly on tv when, after the arrow is released, it takes sometimes several shots to bring down the attacking beast!

Quick Reply: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.