HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Bowhunting, is it good? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/230834-bowhunting-good.html)

remington_girl 02-05-2008 05:43 AM

Bowhunting, is it good?

Stupid question i guess lol but i've never ever bowhunted but i've heard mixed opinions on it.

I saw this http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Diamond-Edge-Youth/edge-compound-bow-package.htm

Im not a youth but im a small female and i dont have the strength of a man lol.

Is bowhunting better than using a firearm? Why do you do it compared to using a rifle or shotgun?

Is that a good price for that bow with goodies incl?

Good thing is that i can own a bow with everything - broadheads etc here and not need a license like a gun.

Thanks all

Sarah.

kevin1 02-05-2008 05:57 AM

RE: Bowhunting, is it good?

ORIGINAL: remington_girl

Stupid question i guess lol but i've never ever bowhunted but i've heard mixed opinions on it.

I saw this http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Diamond-Edge-Youth/edge-compound-bow-package.htm

Im not a youth but im a small female and i dont have the strength of a man lol.

They make bows for all, regardless of their strength or ability.

Is bowhunting better than using a firearm? Why do you do it compared to using a rifle or shotgun?

Not necessarily better, but different. I do it to gain extra days afield.

Is that a good price for that bow with goodies incl?

Yes, if that's the features you want in your bow.

Good thing is that i can own a bow with everything - broadheads etc here and not need a license like a gun.

Glad to hear it, that means that you are still free to some extent.

Thanks all

Sarah.

txjourneyman 02-05-2008 06:01 AM

It is so hard to explain. To be close enough to an animal that at times you can smell them. To be that up close and personal is just so much more exciting to me. I also find it much more challenging. To prepare, getting scent free, limiting movement on stand, and becoming proficient with your equipment. It is certainly more difficult than sitting in a blind and shooting a deer that is 150 yds away. I don't mean to take anything away from gun hunters and thier accomplishments, but having done both, (and I rarely gun hunt now), bowhunting is just more challenging and enjoyable. There are other aspects as well. I get great enjoyment from practicing with my bow. I find it, usually, to be peaceful and relaxing. All in all I find bowhunting to be much more rewarding than hunting with firearms. I have killed bigger deer with a gun but FOR ME any animal killed with a bow is a greater trophy.
This probably doesn't come close to expressing my passion for bowhunting. Try it, you will understand then, and you will be hooked.
BTW, that Diamond Edge package looks like a great deal and would make a fine first bow!

MeanV2 02-05-2008 06:08 AM

The Diamond Edge is a great bow!! I have been obsessed with Bowhunting as long as I can remember. To me it offered longer seasons, the Challenge, and true peace & quiet in the woods. I too enjoy shooting and practicing year round. It's just a super Fun hobby alone or with friends.

Enjoy!!:D

Dan

LostInWoods 02-05-2008 06:12 AM

I agree. I hunted boar before with a Cold Steel Spear because I like a challenge.

Vabowman 02-05-2008 07:05 AM

what are you going to bowhunt in Scotland??

vmartin 02-05-2008 07:07 AM

i have shot a lot of deer and turkey with my bow, i have never had a deer run over 40 yards, and every turkey has droped on the spot. the only difference is that i practice year round, most people think they can start practicing a week before season or not evenat all. those people are the ones you see are missing deer and making excuses about why something went wrong. a bow can be as affective and more affective than a rifle when the arrow is put in the right spot.

HuntingBry 02-05-2008 07:14 AM

Sarah, it's great that you are getting interested in bowhunting and archery, but I have to warn you, once that archery bug has bitten you are addicted for life.;)

As far as bows go that package seems like a good package and diamond makes some nice bows for sure. I personally don't like packages because I'd rather pick out my own accessories. Most manufacturers make bows with short draw lengths and lower draw weights to fit kids and women so you should have no problem finding one to fit you with a little research. Your best bet would be to go to a pro shop if you have one near you so they can properly fit you with a bow.

Is bowhunting better than gun hunting? Not necessarily. I enjoy both for different reasons. If I had to choose I would choose bowhunting, but I know many that would stick with the gun. Either way, a day in the woods is a good day.

Good luck and keep firing questions out as they come up as we have a great bunch of guys/gals here that are more than happy to help.

remington_girl 02-05-2008 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

what are you going to bowhunt in Scotland??
Nothing as suchbecause our government accidently banned it, how funny lol. NOT.

I will practice with my bow here, there is an archery club in my village and i'll go hunting in the US.

loverboy9_1_1 02-05-2008 07:25 AM

It's the only way to hunt!!